follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 10-04-2017, 07:33 PM   #1
Jcas

Drives: 2013 Limited Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Cool Is buying a used brz more beneficial then buying a new one?

Hey so this may seem like a dumb question, but is it beneficial buying a used brz rather then a new one? If so, can you explain why. Cause I'm debating on whether or not to buy used or new. I'm leaning towards a used one with less 30k miles on it.
Jcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:41 PM   #2
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcas View Post
Hey so this may seem like a dumb question, but is it beneficial buying a used brz rather then a new one? If so, can you explain why. Cause I'm debating on whether or not to buy used or new. I'm leaning towards a used one with less 30k miles on it.
Depreciation is highest in the first few years. Only reason to buy new is if you really want the new car warranty, but this car is reliable so it is moot. I wish I bought used.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to swarb For This Useful Post:
8RZ (10-05-2017), Jcas (10-06-2017), Shadeslayer (10-11-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 07:47 PM   #3
JeremyR

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I bought used because I was planning to modify it..so it didn't make sense (to me) to do that to a brand new car.

I purchased the car at 40k and despite a few minor cosmetic issues (most of which have been fixed already), it's been great.

So it really just matters what your plans for it are.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeremyR For This Useful Post:
Jcas (10-06-2017), why? (10-09-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 07:59 PM   #4
nextcar
Guilt free parts vulture!

Drives: 2013 FR-S - Asphalt 6MT
Thanked 1,763 Times in 933 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcas View Post
Lots of factors to consider, but generally it is better to buy a well maintained used car that is in good condition than a new car due to the depreciation.

This assumes either a cash transaction or reasonable financing - which not all people can qualify for.

Case in point: I paid $17,500 for a used 2013 that only had 12,000 miles on it and was still under factory warranty (this was almost 2 years ago). Original owner took a huge hit on depreciation.
nextcar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nextcar For This Useful Post:
Jcas (10-06-2017), Tcoat (10-04-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 08:00 PM   #5
Beachin86

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
One thing to take into consideration is the abuse the car has been through with its previous owner(s). I bought mine used (CPO) because I inspected it thoroughly myself for signs of mods, but this car is known for being famous with the modders so make sure you know what to look for or at the very least a buddy. I will say I got a steal of a deal on mine, 18k out the door for a 10 Series. Just be cautious and do your homework before committing.
Beachin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Beachin86 For This Useful Post:
Jcas (10-06-2017), soulreapersteve (10-05-2017), Tcoat (10-04-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 08:11 PM   #6
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
There are certainly pros and cons for each.
The guys that bought used will say it is better.
The guys that bought new will say it is.
Both have very valid points but will say the other group are wrong.
8RZ (10-05-2017), Dadhawk (10-04-2017), Jcas (10-06-2017), reni (10-05-2017), soulreapersteve (10-05-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 09:20 PM   #7
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
I bought mine new. There weren't many used 86s at the time, so I didn't have much choice.

Buying new, you know what the break-in was like, you have all the maintenance history, and you know when you get it that it is correct per factory specifications. Also if you plan on keeping it long term, you will likely have 30k miles less wear to think about.

That being said, if you plan to replace a bunch of stuff off the bat, used might be a better deal.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Jcas (10-06-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 09:50 PM   #8
Jcas

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
Depreciation is highest in the first few years. Only reason to buy new is if you really want the new car warranty, but this car is reliable so it is moot. I wish I bought used.
Yeah, that's what I've heard the depreciation isn't to kind haha
Old 10-04-2017, 09:53 PM   #9
Jcas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
I bought used because I was planning to modify it..so it didn't make sense (to me) to do that to a brand new car.

I purchased the car at 40k and despite a few minor cosmetic issues (most of which have been fixed already), it's been great.

So it really just matters what your plans for it are.
My plans for the car include modding it of course. It's just such a nice platform to work with and I really like it. I have everything planned out already that I want for it and what not just of course finding one that is good enough condition and passes what I think is exceptional car can be challenging. It's kind of unfortunate that I'm somewhat of a perfectionist and I like things to be super maintained and everything to be in it's place, also little bit of OCD haha. But I think used is the way I'd like to go for sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jcas For This Useful Post:
JeremyR (10-09-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 09:54 PM   #10
Jcas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
There are certainly pros and cons for each.
The guys that bought used will say it is better.
The guys that bought new will say it is.
Both have very valid points but will say the other group are wrong.
Makes sense thanks for the feedback!
Old 10-04-2017, 09:54 PM   #11
gled21

Drives: White brz 2015 / 93' s13
I would buy new, I bought my 15 new and obviously like any new car that is not a lemmon its fantastic. The only reason i would stray from used on a car like this model is because you dont know the work that has been put into it and since its a cheaper "drivers"/"tuner" car the possibilities are endless. I went car shopping with my gf and we looked into used brz's and they all had their individual issues and driving them compared to mine was night and day. Youll be spending alot of time finding the right used 86/brz so if you are stuck on buying a used brz at least compare it by at least test driving a new one. If I were you i would just save the time and effort and just get the new one, plus if you are like me and are paranoid of all the little noises and things that happen to cars it will be nice to just have that peace of mind of a new car.
gled21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gled21 For This Useful Post:
Jcas (10-06-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 09:57 PM   #12
Jcas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcar View Post
Lots of factors to consider, but generally it is better to buy a well maintained used car that is in good condition than a new car due to the depreciation.

This assumes either a cash transaction or reasonable financing - which not all people can qualify for.

Case in point: I paid $17,500 for a used 2013 that only had 12,000 miles on it and was still under factory warranty (this was almost 2 years ago). Original owner took a huge hit on depreciation.
Yeah what I figured as well. A good used maintained car is the way To go. Ironically enough this dude I live by in my area is selling RBV2 brz for 20k 😫I want it so bad it's so beautiful. Nothing done to it mechanically what so ever just the rocket bunny kit wheels tires and coils
Old 10-04-2017, 10:00 PM   #13
Jcas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gled21 View Post
I would buy new, I bought my 15 new and obviously like any new car that is not a lemmon its fantastic. The only reason i would stray from used on a car like this model is because you dont know the work that has been put into it and since its a cheaper "drivers"/"tuner" car the possibilities are endless. I went car shopping with my gf and we looked into used brz's and they all had their individual issues and driving them compared to mine was night and day. Youll be spending alot of time finding the right used 86/brz so if you are stuck on buying a used brz at least compare it by at least test driving a new one. If I were you i would just save the time and effort and just get the new one, plus if you are like me and are paranoid of all the little noises and things that happen to cars it will be nice to just have that peace of mind of a new car.
Yeah 100% get where your coming from. I'd love to buy new the only thing is with that just paying off a 29k car will take a while for me only cause I don't have the highest paying job at the moment and I'm in college sadly. I just don't want to wait till I'm out of college to get the brz though. Although that would be the smart adult decision to make, I feel I just don't want to wait any longer to have this car. I've always wanted one and I feel I've waited long enough to get it hahah.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:02 PM   #14
Jcas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
I bought mine new. There weren't many used 86s at the time, so I didn't have much choice.

Buying new, you know what the break-in was like, you have all the maintenance history, and you know when you get it that it is correct per factory specifications. Also if you plan on keeping it long term, you will likely have 30k miles less wear to think about.

That being said, if you plan to replace a bunch of stuff off the bat, used might be a better deal.
Yeah I feel I'd prob be replacing quite a bit of stuff cause I don't plan on keeping it stock for long. On the low I've been just getting little parts here and there so when I get the car I can throw them on the first day lmao

Tags
brz, subaru, subie, used or new