follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-08-2017, 02:15 PM   #29
VTEC

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaftos View Post
For simplicity's sake, to look nice, sound nice, and go fast. My car is a daily, and sometimes I do the occasional drive up fifty or so miles through some mountain roads. So, not sure exactly what you mean by these suggestions being useless.

Quick edit: I also have plans to track in the future.
Air filter, header and exhaust will sound great and help the engine breathe better at higher RPM. But if you really want to go fast on those mountain roads or the race track you should look at upgrading the tires, suspension and brakes.

Try checking out the build section and look at people who track their cars.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:36 PM   #30
fierostetz

Drives: '87 Buick GN, '16 500 Abarth
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86geek View Post
Nope, according to dealership. My dealership specifically said aftermarket header the warranty will not be honored. As for drop in filter there's one available for 2017 models. Blitz I think is the brand
Oh man, thats like playing Super Mario Bros. and quitting at the first goombah - magnusson-moss is what you use to fight bowser! The dealerships are just minions, they just want to charge you, then they'll probably bill it as a warranty repair anyways. They probably want to avoid liability by removing/reinstalling a part. If you want to minimize the fight just swap the stock manifold back on.

Escalate it; the burden of proof is on the dealer, they have to prove that the part in question is unequivocally the cause of failure.
fierostetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:55 PM   #31
lantsalot
Derp

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
So I did a quick read through on this thread, one thing I didn't see is what your goals are with the mods, and how much risk you are willing to accept with regards to reliability.

You mentioned you're relatively new to modding, so I'm not sure how quickly you want to get into this. In general, higher risk will net higher reward. If you're looking to just dip your feet into the pool--you will be looking at things like catback exhausts, wheels, drop ins, basically what a lot of people have mentioned--but they won't net you a lot of HP or tangible gains.

On the other hand, if you want to jump straight into the pool--you would be looking at headers, OFT / tuning, stuff that would add some noticeable performance gains to the car. However, these kinds of gains have inherent risks (i.e. emissions issues, chance to get a poor tune, unrelated engine issues that could get you in lengthy 'discussions' with dealerships on warranty validity).

If you're just nuts and have money to burn you can always go forced induction...but you're almost guaranteed to have some kind issues with that as time goes on. Since you mentioned <$1000 for the part, i'm assuming that this isn't your situation.

These are all assuming that you just want to pull some more power and what not out of your car for street driving. However, if you are looking for track performance it's likely that you'd go a different route (one that starts with HPDE and likely involves a focus on suspension parts).

This is just my perspective though. I've chosen the slow and cautious route--had the car for 5 years this month, and I'll finally be doing header+tune next month. Up to this point it's been exhaust from the header back, TRD springs, drop in filter, and short throw shifter. All of which I'd highly recommend, but my goals may be different from yours.

Edit : forgot one of my most important mods--DASHCAM. Srsly.
lantsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lantsalot For This Useful Post:
ichitaka05 (08-08-2017), Tcoat (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 03:44 PM   #32
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
I can only tell what I did regarding mods.

I didn't do any performance mods initially. I only did some little cosmetic changes like JDM exhaust tips, tires, wheels while enjoying and knowing the car better. After a long while, I decided that the best bet was JRSC + oil cooler with the stock engine. Getting 50% more power overnight was more like a transformation than modification. I think it was the right decision for me. I still don't plan any exhaust, E85, or other modifications. I feel like I am done with modifying this car. I will just enjoy and maintain it in the following years.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:48 PM   #33
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Catbacks do nothing for performance they just sound like they do.

What are your plans for using the car? Unless you have the exact same goals and plans as others then all the suggestions you will get are just a waste of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaftos View Post
For simplicity's sake, to look nice, sound nice, and go fast. My car is a daily, and sometimes I do the occasional drive up fifty or so miles through some mountain roads. So, not sure exactly what you mean by these suggestions being useless.

Quick edit: I also have plans to track in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lantsalot View Post
So I did a quick read through on this thread, one thing I didn't see is what your goals are with the mods, and how much risk you are willing to accept with regards to reliability.

You mentioned you're relatively new to modding, so I'm not sure how quickly you want to get into this. In general, higher risk will net higher reward. If you're looking to just dip your feet into the pool--you will be looking at things like catback exhausts, wheels, drop ins, basically what a lot of people have mentioned--but they won't net you a lot of HP or tangible gains.

On the other hand, if you want to jump straight into the pool--you would be looking at headers, OFT / tuning, stuff that would add some noticeable performance gains to the car. However, these kinds of gains have inherent risks (i.e. emissions issues, chance to get a poor tune, unrelated engine issues that could get you in lengthy 'discussions' with dealerships on warranty validity).

If you're just nuts and have money to burn you can always go forced induction...but you're almost guaranteed to have some kind issues with that as time goes on. Since you mentioned <$1000 for the part, i'm assuming that this isn't your situation.

These are all assuming that you just want to pull some more power and what not out of your car for street driving. However, if you are looking for track performance it's likely that you'd go a different route (one that starts with HPDE and likely involves a focus on suspension parts).

This is just my perspective though. I've chosen the slow and cautious route--had the car for 5 years this month, and I'll finally be doing header+tune next month. Up to this point it's been exhaust from the header back, TRD springs, drop in filter, and short throw shifter. All of which I'd highly recommend, but my goals may be different from yours.

Edit : forgot one of my most important mods--DASHCAM. Srsly.

Pretty much normal DD type stuff for now.
lantsalot (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 03:51 PM   #34
Th3rdSun

Drives: 2013 FR-S MT Hot Lava
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
The tuner (William Knose of Delicious Tuning) who tuned my car said I could get 10 more HP if I put the stock exhaust back on. They say the TRD is more restrictive. They said they cut apart a TRD and the pipes are actually smaller. I'm still keeping mine. I love the sound and the look. I have enough HP.
Sorry guys,I was going off the top of my head trying to remember this video from Everyday Driver
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM_QmVF2-fQ"]Searching for Torque - Header & Exhaust - FR-S Long Term #4 - Everyday Driver - YouTube[/ame]

I guess I'm a little more practical and would rather spend $1000+ on something else,not even car related,than something that just gives you sound and an ever so slight increase in torque and HP.
Th3rdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Th3rdSun For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 03:53 PM   #35
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lantsalot View Post
If you're just nuts and have money to burn you can always go forced induction
That is not true at all. To me, my best decision was to skip everything else and go directly to JRSC. I can't tell how happy I am with it.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:12 PM   #36
Borchert97

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86geek View Post
Nope, according to dealership. My dealership specifically said aftermarket header the warranty will not be honored. As for drop in filter there's one available for 2017 models. Blitz I think is the brand
There's two available, Works and Blitz. I made a thread on them awhile ago asking other MY17 owners if they had either and the thread was basically a ghost town, so I did some research myself, I don't think the Blitz is a resuable, whereas the Works can be cleaned and reused indefinitely if cleaned properly, so I'm gonna go for the Works.
Borchert97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:21 PM   #37
lantsalot
Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
That is not true at all. To me, my best decision was to skip everything else and go directly to JRSC. I can't tell how happy I am with it.
Didn't mean to imply that it wouldn't make them happy. I would love one of those myself...but for someone who is literally just getting into modding as the OP is, that's pretty out there. And pricey.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:22 PM   #38
lantsalot
Derp

Quote:
Pretty much normal DD type stuff for now.
Good catch. As I said, skimmed through it while at work...obviously missed that part xD
The Following User Says Thank You to lantsalot For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 07:57 PM   #39
Sapphireho
Pressure fried

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,189 Times in 8,583 Posts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3rdSun View Post

I guess I'm a little more practical and would rather spend $1000+ on something else,not even car related,than something that just gives you sound and an ever so slight increase in torque and HP.
It's nice to be at a point in life where I can be impractical once in a while and not worry about it. There is nothing practical about my supercharged twin. It oozes impracticality. I love driving it.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
bcj (08-09-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 03:51 PM   #40
whiteFT68

Drives: 2013 FR-S White
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Instead of spending thousands on new wheels, paint the stock wheels black or white. Actually looks pretty good.

An axle back exhaust to open up the sound of the engine too.

For the interior, adding a sub helps the stock system to not suck so much.

Those are the mods I have done so far. I don't feel like it needs anything, but it is nice to have some extras.
whiteFT68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:57 PM   #41
re-animator

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
A catback does nothing for performance but a header and tune will show some gains.
If the TRD catback exhaust has any effect on the torque I have never noticed it. The improved sound is worth every penny to me though.
exhaust will definitely have performance gains if coupled with a header, esp catless. if you don't have a header then the cat is the bottleneck for exhaust flow so opening up the exhaust afterwards doesn't do much, but if you have a header the stock exhaust is going to be a little restrictive.

fwiw i have a lachute exhaust on a car with the stock cat/headers and i know it doesn't really have a performance effect, but i agree the sound is worth it.
re-animator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:06 PM   #42
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by re-animator View Post
exhaust will definitely have performance gains if coupled with a header, esp catless. if you don't have a header then the cat is the bottleneck for exhaust flow so opening up the exhaust afterwards doesn't do much, but if you have a header the stock exhaust is going to be a little restrictive.

fwiw i have a lachute exhaust on a car with the stock cat/headers and i know it doesn't really have a performance effect, but i agree the sound is worth it.
That is more or less what I said. I just used less and different words. The stock cat back exhaust would not have much of an impact (doubt if even measurable) even with a header but that stock exhaust has such a weak sound I don't think even a header would help much.

Tags
gt86, header, modding, mods, throttle body