follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-15-2020, 09:57 PM   #1
kev0

Drives: '14
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is this a bad battery or a typical cold weather E85 start?

https://streamable.com/93cpn

I've watched some videos of cold E85 startups such as
to compare to mine but my tachometer moves unlike this one in the video.

Does mine seem like a bad battery or is it a typical cold weather E85 start? I'm asking to narrow down the cause of my CEL's.

Also on the topic of battery, does my battery seem like the stock ones that come with our cars from the factory?

Last edited by kev0; 01-15-2020 at 10:21 PM.
kev0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:17 PM   #2
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev0 View Post

Does mine seem like a bad battery or is it a typical cold weather E85 start? I'm asking to narrow down the cause of my CEL's.

Also on the topic of battery, does my battery seem like the stock ones that come with our cars from the factory?

[IMG]blob:https://imgur.com/07e81747-52fb-44aa-b9a1-56c075c00ea6[/IMG]
Is it a panasonic battery? Your link didn't work so we can't see. If it is it's 6 years old and time for a new a nice new one with high CCAs

Also what were the ambient temps? I can start find just with a few extra "turn overs" in around 30-45 Fahrenheit but my car has had a lot of tweaks to its tune via romraider.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
kev0 (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 10:22 PM   #3
kev0

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Is it a panasonic battery? Your link didn't work so we can't see. If it is it's 6 years old and time for a new a nice new one with high CCAs

Also what were the ambient temps? I can start find just with a few extra "turn overs" in around 30-45 Fahrenheit but my car has had a lot of tweaks to its tune via romraider.
Ah, no it's an Autocraft Silver 35-1.

This cold start was around 30 Fahrenheit. Does yours behave like mine does when you say 'turn overs'?
Old 01-15-2020, 10:36 PM   #4
ActionMaxon
Professional Auto Fixer

Drives: 2016 Oceanic FR-S as Designed
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
From that video, it looks like your throttle body wasn't opening enough to keep the RPMs up for cold start, and the ECU couldn't figure it out before it stalled.

Did you give it any throttle on second start up, or was that ECU controlled?

Colder temps require different fuel especially at start up. It could just be the ECU learning. If this has started happening at the same time temps have been dropping, I might say it's normal, but the ECU should learn very fast.

My only other thought is to check your throttle body for carbon build up, and clean if its dirty. Expect some more hiccups after cleaning while everything relearns, but it shouldn't be more than one or two drives worth.

2016 Oceanic
ActionMaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ActionMaxon For This Useful Post:
kev0 (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 10:53 PM   #5
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Ah, no it's an Autocraft Silver 35-1.

This cold start was around 30 Fahrenheit. Does yours behave like mine does when you say 'turn overs'?
No it is not the stock battery.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
kev0 (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 11:19 PM   #6
kev0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionMaxon View Post
From that video, it looks like your throttle body wasn't opening enough to keep the RPMs up for cold start, and the ECU couldn't figure it out before it stalled.

Did you give it any throttle on second start up, or was that ECU controlled?

Colder temps require different fuel especially at start up. It could just be the ECU learning. If this has started happening at the same time temps have been dropping, I might say it's normal, but the ECU should learn very fast.

My only other thought is to check your throttle body for carbon build up, and clean if its dirty. Expect some more hiccups after cleaning while everything relearns, but it shouldn't be more than one or two drives worth.
Thanks for the insight. It was all the ECU. I was not giving it throttle. You might be onto something about the throttle body not opening. My RPM drops when I brake sometimes. Do you know what I should to remedy the problem? Just buy Seafoam and spray it inside the TB?

Last edited by kev0; 01-15-2020 at 11:40 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:14 AM   #7
ActionMaxon
Professional Auto Fixer

Drives: 2016 Oceanic FR-S as Designed
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the insight. It was all the ECU. I was not giving it throttle. You might be onto something about the throttle body not opening. My RPM drops when I brake sometimes. Do you know what I should to remedy the problem? Just buy Seafoam and spray it inside the TB?
I've never used seafoam personally. Not for any reason in particular, just haven't.

I would use a cleaner specifically for throttle bodies. Thr stuff I use is made by 3M and comes in a little black can. Spray it onto a rag, and then wipe the throttle body down till clean. The carbon build up cleans easily.

You could spray directly onto it, but the TB is coated with a non stick type coating so more gentle is better. Spraying onto it could cause more hiccups and misfires when you go to restart. It will clear out though so not a huge deal.

After that use a scanner to clear codes. This will reset adaptive values and your ECU will relearn where to put the throttle blade at any given time. The first couple startups may result in a stall and the first test drive or so may display some unusual idle characteristics, but it should figure itself out very fast.

If you don't have a scanner, disconnect the battery for a half hour, then reconnect.

Usually when I do something like that, when getting the car to relearn faster, once it's idling normally, I add loads and vary the RPM, (bring RPMS to like 3000, then release throttle and allow engine to idle. It may bog down, then should correct itself. If it stalls, just start engine again and repeat.) turn the A/C on, turn headlights on with highbeams, put both window switches in "up" position for a couple seconds when the windows are already up. (This will load up the alternator).

Once it's running on its own standing still go on a test drive, shut it down, start back up and drive again. After that if the car isn't figuring things out it's likely some other issue.

2016 Oceanic
ActionMaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:58 PM   #8
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:

your primary issue is that your car appears to be upside down.

automobiles generally work best with the rubber wheels facing towards the strongest local gravity source.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:22 AM   #9
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

If you've got an e85 tune then you definitely should get some edits done to the tune at low ambient to help out, steve99 and wayno on this forum had some very helpful edits I used.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote