follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #71
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpnnlp View Post
I don't know what it is about a competent automatic that brings out the MT purists with various levels of condescension of those who choose otherwise.

I came here because this car is offering the kind of control a MT offers without the chore of shifting.

I could take my laundry to a river bed with a washboard. No doubt I will really get in touch with the stains, the seams, and the quality of detergent I am using. Now we have machines with buttons for that, just like our transmissions.
Actually I couldn't care less what people buy. I can explain why I like MT cars just like you can explain why you like AT cars

Do I have a very high dislike of ATs and DCTs? Absolutely. I absolutely ENJOY driving a MT car. It's not a chore, it's enjoyable. You don't like those things, and that's fine.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:54 AM   #72
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Quote:
The dishwasher cycle is automated. You still have total control and timing of your shifts with this AT. The keyword is CONTROL. The only thing it's taking away is the chore of shifting and getting your hands and feet away from where they belong.
Until the trans gets hot
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Old 05-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #73
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Quote:
We don't know yet the drivetrain efficiency of the AT, but given that it locks early on, the dyno results could be similar. We will have to wait on that.

When you say "speed," you mean 0-60? If so, the slightly taller gear ratio might get the AT to true 60 mph without shifting to 3rd, so any advantage that the MT has could be negated in a 0-60 test. We will have to wait on that one too.
I agree here on the power, it should show basically the same results (ie normal variance between cars).

The AT (mathmatically anyways) will hit 64 in second. Gearing is worse though and makes up for the potential shift (by the math, the MT hits 60 in 2nd also).
Old 05-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #74
colHolm
Default User Title

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Agreed. And it's the reason I would never even consider an IS-F.
Agreed.

That being said, as far as lock-up torque converter ATs go the IS-F's is pretty decent. And the car is a blast to drive.
colHolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:59 AM   #75
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriental Life View Post
True. But consider this: IS-F tranny is in production for 4 years already. Unless they completely messed up, trying to cut costs, it should be exactly like IS-F 1-6 gears and practically the same ECU.

MT on the other hand - indeed a brand new one.

JDM video was funny - I wonder why BRZ won over 86 by a rather big margin. I was surprised to see that.
How long has the *IS* trans been in production? That's what this trans is, ratios and all. They did NOT modify an IS-F trans to remove two gears for this car.

The MT has been in existence since at LEAST 1999. It's an Aisin AZ6. Each AZ6 is slightly different for each car but it's far from a new transmission.

BRZ>86 because of the drivers.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #76
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
We covered this a long time ago.

The USDM IS250 had the AY6 not the AZ6. I don't know the AT's history but it might have come from the same car as the AZ6, the Altezza RS200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:43 PM   #77
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
We covered this a long time ago.

The USDM IS250 had the AY6 not the AZ6. I don't know the AT's history but it might have come from the same car as the AZ6, the Altezza RS200.
Correct on the manual, the AZ is from the Altezza. And the RX8, MX5, S2K, S15, etc.

AT is a IS250 AT.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:13 PM   #78
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86'd View Post
I guess my definition of driving is different than yours.

Look, I don't care if you want a CVT or a dishwasher in the 86; a manual transmission is fun.

I don't think you're less of a man for wanting an auto, hell, it's probably faster on a track, but I'll never be on a track.

A good manual provides an experience and a level of involvement that I don't think an auto will ever have. But driving a MT shouldn't be a chore. If it is, well, thank Toyobaru for making your dreams come true.
This is the kind of response I like from manual only drivers. Why others can't be as positive as you about the situation?
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #79
DieDriving
I aint no snitch

Drives: 330i, C300, "00 lude, "94 Accord
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I suggest every1 getting a MT....the lone auto on the lot will be mine

Beside, my wife says she will fork in half the cash if it's an auto....win win for me...
DieDriving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:24 PM   #80
TOMCENTRAL

Drives: FR-S AUTO
I went into the dealer wanting a MT & drove the AT first.I said I wanted a MT & would wait till one was available.Well,the deal fell thru on the MT & I drove it.It felt different,not as stout & I just liked the feel of the AT so I bought the AT.The AT in this particular vehicle caused the engine to sound, more throaty & seemed to be as fast when I used the sport mode w/the traction control off.Now I know the stick is supposed to be faster.But the comparison I watched on YouTube left the car in DRIVE sport on BUT with the traction control ON.When I drive mine,I hold the traction control down for the 3-5 seconds,turn on the sport & paddle shift the auto.It shifts fast,faster thanI can shift the stick.The car really shifts fast at red/lite/line.My previous car was a 6-speed Genesis Turbo with Cold air intake MagnaFlow 3 inch cat back & a Poweraxel turbo boost controller that increases the boost from 7 to 20 lbs.The car was fast & I would never have wanted it in a AT or any car till I drove the Scion.The sport mode w/Traction control off ( torque converter off) allows down shifting that accually holds the revs up like a stick.The AT really sold the car for me.
Of course I did try to be reasonable once,
I didn't like it.
Regards,Tom
TOMCENTRAL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TOMCENTRAL For This Useful Post:
dem00n (09-16-2012), russv (09-22-2012), ToxicSneakers (09-16-2012)
Old 09-16-2012, 12:43 AM   #81
jmaryt
Banned

Drives: 2012 honda civic ex
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Your driving style will have a bigger effect on mileage then the transmission will, so ymmv.

You can still hold and eat a hamburger while driving a manual. A friend of mine shifts through 18 gears with a tea in one hand and his lunch in the other, regularly.

Just food for thought
i suppose this is possible. i guess it is also possible
to ''fornicate"in the back seat of a fr-s,however i wouldn't attempt it!
due to the "possibility" of having to wear a "colostomy" bag after i was done!
just sayin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
having to go into 3rd to hit 60 kills the number on paper

how to not be shunned by oblivious fast and the furious enthusiasts? :O

at least the car looks fast

better yet, imagine a world where everything little thing wasn't compared, nit picked and measured in numbers. but instead decisions were based on feel, whoa mind blown

thanks to fairly lightweight this car will feel faster than these numbers suggest, it will feel faster than bigger cars that go faster

even better yet, you can take the corner faster, and taking corners fast is even more fun than going in a straight line fast

whoa mind blown more
this is " dead nuts" accurate the lightweight ''attributes" of this car cannot be overstated. the sensation of speed will be greater,especially when cornering,
which is precisely WHY it was built.
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #82
FastLap

Drives: 2023 Subaru BRZ Limited
I am totally biased towards MT... so my opinion is that there is zero benefit at all to the AT. If you HAVE to have the AT (leg/knee issues, etc.) then I can understand, but otherwise there's no reason to get the AT.

Both hands should always be on the wheel either way, so that's not a pro of AT.

I don't find the MT to be harder to drive in traffic... so not sure that's really a pro of AT either. If anything I can't stand people who just lightly lift off their brake so the car moves forward on an AT while the brake lights are still on.

I really don't even understand why this car comes in an AT, but I guess it is to appeal to a wider audience (after all it has back seats for no good reason too...).

Coming from years and years of driving many many MT sports cars I can't stand driving AT. My car always feels so much better after I come back from a trip where I've had to drive an AT rental car for a week.

As always it's up to each person, but if somebody is coming to the FR-S never having driven a MT before then I highly suggest you get the MT and just force yourself to learn.
FastLap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FastLap For This Useful Post:
whateatsrabbits (09-22-2012)
Old 09-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #83
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLap View Post
I am totally biased towards MT... so my opinion is that there is zero benefit at all to the AT. If you HAVE to have the AT (leg/knee issues, etc.) then I can understand, but otherwise there's no reason to get the AT.

I don't find the MT to be harder to drive in traffic... so not sure that's really a pro of AT either. If anything I can't stand people who just lightly lift off their brake so the car moves forward on an AT while the brake lights are still on.

I really don't even understand why this car comes in an AT, but I guess it is to appeal to a wider audience (after all it has back seats for no good reason too...).

Coming from years and years of driving many many MT sports cars I can't stand driving AT. My car always feels so much better after I come back from a trip where I've had to drive an AT rental car for a week.

As always it's up to each person, but if somebody is coming to the FR-S never having driven a MT before then I highly suggest you get the MT and just force yourself to learn.
Oh you live in Florida? Traffic there?
Nah!

On a car like this it doesn't really matter if you get AT or MT performance wise, hell its starting to turn into that for all cars! Some of us bought the AT cause we thought it was an interesting automatic, some of us like paddle shifters, some of us drive in traffic daily and don't want to have our gearbox to suffer and then some of us just don't know how to drive MT. To dismiss automatic gearboxes by themselves is just plain foolish.

Alright, i'm done on this topic forever.

Last edited by dem00n; 09-16-2012 at 04:34 PM.
dem00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #84
jmaryt
Banned

Drives: 2012 honda civic ex
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLap View Post

i agree! "slush" boxes should be reserved for land yachts ,of which there are many on the road...just sayin'
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmaryt For This Useful Post:
whateatsrabbits (09-22-2012)