follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 09-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #1
nalc

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited 6MT GBS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Removing seats and carpet?

I'm looking at doing a pretty thorough sound deadening install. The only people I could find that had done it for the twins had pulled the carpet up from the footwells and installed it there, and had done it under the rear seats and in the rear wheel wells. It doesn't look like anyone has done a complete install, removing the center console and front seats and taking out the whole carpet to be able to install a nice MLV barrier under the whole cabin.

I couldn't find any threads/pics about taking the front seats out, or removing the rear seat backs (just the rear seat bottoms, which I've done already for my backup camera install), or about removing the carpet. Has anyone done this? I assume that a decent write up of installing aftermarket seats would include that info, but I dug through half a dozen pages of "remove seats" in the search and couldn't find anything helpful. Any tips or tricks to help?
nalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
koteman

Drives: Scion frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I havnt done seats but I've done center console and carpet sides front and back it's nothing crazy hard just take ur time. Seats r 4 bolts and 2 wires each I think once those come out should be easy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4
koteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
UnOvertime

Drives: Firestorm FR-S AT
The front seats are 4 bolts which are removed with an e10 torx socket. Once those are loose you need to disconnect the two wires in the front for the airbag sensor, they simply pull out when you press the tab.

The rear seat back is really simple. Fold the seat down and locate the two bolts on the lower back. Simply undo the bolt on each side and the seatback slides out easily.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #4
maj75

Drives: Blue FRS 6sp, 95 M3
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Been there, done that, posted:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...402#post585402
maj75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maj75 For This Useful Post:
nalc (09-12-2013)
Old 09-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #5
nalc

Quote:
Originally Posted by maj75 View Post
Thanks, that's really helpful. Did you get a look at the what if any sound deadening the car has under the carpet from the factory?
Old 09-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
All I can say is I've done this to many of my vehicles in past and will do my FR-S this winter while it's parked. Do NOT make mistake of putting in Dynomat, Vmax and such for actual road noise control and such. Use a specific sound isolator damper instead. Far too many folks think that vibration/stereo type products do the same thing they simply do not and they waist time and money on the wrong products. Dynomat, Cascade, Vmax is all excellent for stereo made vibrations and will take out some of the road noise, however VB 4.5 or a closed cell barrier will yield FAR better results with actually reducing road noise from the thin chassis metal, exhaust, wheel noise etc...
Old 09-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
nalc

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
All I can say is I've done this to many of my vehicles in past and will do my FR-S this winter while it's parked. Do NOT make mistake of putting in Dynomat, Vmax and such for actual road noise control and such. Use a specific sound isolator damper instead. Far too many folks think that vibration/stereo type products do the same thing they simply do not and they waist time and money on the wrong products. Dynomat, Cascade, Vmax is all excellent for stereo made vibrations and will take out some of the road noise, however VB 4.5 or a closed cell barrier will yield FAR better results with actually reducing road noise from the thin chassis metal, exhaust, wheel noise etc...
I was going to do the sounddeadenershowdown route - 50% coverage with CLD tiles for panel resonance, 1 lb/sqft MLV for a barrier, closed cell foam to isolate the MLV.

Figured MLV around the entire floor and transmission hump with cutouts for seat mounting rails, MLV in the doors, the area behind the doors to the sides of the rear seats ahead of the rear wheel wells, and the back of the rear seats, then some CLD tiles and Thinsulate above the headliner. I am not afraid of adding ~100 lbs, it will still be one of the lightest cars on the market, and I'd like to get it nice and quiet since I do a lot of highway driving and right now I feel crappy after 3 hours of seat time.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #8
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Great plan!