follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 10-31-2015, 12:15 PM   #29
Agent 86

Drives: 2017 Cayman S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LED86 View Post
One thing to note, the red lens etc isnt an official Valenti product. Ie if its not on their site then they dont actually sell it. The manufacturer is pumping them out and putting the valenti brand on them knowing they will sell but in reality Valenti in japan has nothing to do with them. So any blame on valenti for this is being misdirected.
Hmm..., I have not read this anywhere. Do you have any data to substantiate the claim that these are not "official" Valenti lights? The reputable resellers here in the US advertise them as Valenti.
2014 BRZ Limited - 2013 VW Golf R - 2010 Forester XT - 2006 Mazda 3 GT
Agent 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 04:38 PM   #30
ZOMFGAARON
A Demon

Drives: Raven GT86
Thanked 1,321 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
Hmm..., I have not read this anywhere. Do you have any data to substantiate the claim that these are not "official" Valenti lights? The reputable resellers here in the US advertise them as Valenti.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...90#post2106790

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ZOMFGAARON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZOMFGAARON For This Useful Post:
Agent 86 (10-31-2015), LED86 (10-31-2015)
Old 10-31-2015, 04:56 PM   #31
DannyQ86

Drives: 2013 frs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LED86 View Post
One thing to note, the red lens etc isnt an official Valenti product. Ie if its not on their site then they dont actually sell it. The manufacturer is pumping them out and putting the valenti brand on them knowing they will sell but in reality Valenti in japan has nothing to do with them. So any blame on valenti for this is being misdirected.
If this was the case then why didn't valenti say "this is not an official light from us" when he mailed it in for warranty... Seems to me they would have mentioned that as part of denying the warranty claim instead of blaming it on some bs about a pinched gasket.
DannyQ86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:04 AM   #32
LED86

Drives: Black 86 GTS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyQ86 View Post
If this was the case then why didn't valenti say "this is not an official light from us" when he mailed it in for warranty... Seems to me they would have mentioned that as part of denying the warranty claim instead of blaming it on some bs about a pinched gasket.
Because Valenti was never part of the conversation.
I really respect and look up to speedfactory, modbargains and all the big players but even some of the suppliers have been coned from the manufacturer that they are official valenti lights when they are not. Helix is actually starting to brand the red lens as their own now which is what should have been done in the first place.

There are only a few certified valenti resellers that sell products directly sourced from Valenti in japan and the rest source from the manufacturer and get them cheaper hence the price differences. The easiest way to tell if its come from directly from Valenti in Japan is it will have the sticker on the back, like the Toms do.

I only bring this all up because each post like this gives them a bad rep when really they have nothing to do with it and I dont blame you for bringing it up cause it sucks what happened. Valenti have already posted before about them not being an official product but everyone skimmed past it. They honestly cant be bothered fighting back and instead want to focus on their new model coming in Jan.
LED86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LED86 For This Useful Post:
Agent 86 (11-01-2015)
Old 11-02-2015, 09:35 AM   #33
Agent 86

Thanks for your contribution @LED86. Based on your comments and the link referenced by ZOMFGAARON, I decided to reach out to Valenti Japan personally. Below is their response to my question regarding the authenticity of the "Valenti" lights sold by FT86 SpeedFactory.

"Hi,

We have never listed the red lens color for 86/BRZ tail lamp.

All official Valenti lamps have stuck the Valenti sticker on the housing of lamp.
We also want to let you know the Emotion USA and FT86 SpeedFactory have never purchased any items from us.

Anyway, our new REVO tail lamp will be released in Jane, 2016. Please wait for our new REVO tail lamp, thanks.

Valentijapan "
The Following User Says Thank You to Agent 86 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-02-2015)
Old 11-02-2015, 12:40 PM   #34
cdo221

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S, 2015 RS 1.0
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for your contribution @LED86. Based on your comments and the link referenced by ZOMFGAARON, I decided to reach out to Valenti Japan personally. Below is their response to my question regarding the authenticity of the "Valenti" lights sold by FT86 SpeedFactory.

"Hi,

We have never listed the red lens color for 86/BRZ tail lamp.

All official Valenti lamps have stuck the Valenti sticker on the housing of lamp.
We also want to let you know the Emotion USA and FT86 SpeedFactory have never purchased any items from us.

Anyway, our new REVO tail lamp will be released in Jane, 2016. Please wait for our new REVO tail lamp, thanks.

Valentijapan "
This might be taking it too far but have you contacted your PayPal / Credit card company? Seems like false advertising to me, especially if you based your purchase on the 1 year warranty of 'real' Valentis in the past. I've read of Valentis being replaced under warranty easy peasy on here before.

I mean, what's the difference between these and "Valenti style" eBay tails that sell for $200 if they aren't REAL Valentis? And I bet you paid $300+ for these from FT86SF
cdo221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:16 PM   #35
Agent 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdo221 View Post
This might be taking it too far but have you contacted your PayPal / Credit card company? Seems like false advertising to me, especially if you based your purchase on the 1 year warranty of 'real' Valentis in the past. I've read of Valentis being replaced under warranty easy peasy on here before.

I mean, what's the difference between these and "Valenti style" eBay tails that sell for $200 if they aren't REAL Valentis? And I bet you paid $300+ for these from FT86SF
Thanks for the support. Yeah, I have considered contacting PayPal. And yes, I paid $319.00 less, a 3% discount for previous purchase.

What's been so frustrating is that I have read numerous post (granted most were related to failed LEDs), of the replacement/exchange being handled through the reseller. I don't think I read any accounts where the purchaser had to deal with the distributor.

In the meantime, it's been 2 weeks since Emotion USA received my taillight and I have no idea when my tail light will be returned, if ever!
Old 11-02-2015, 03:28 PM   #36
FT-86 SpeedFactory

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,253 Posts
Mentioned: 341 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Here's the deal guys.

Valenti Japan works with the same manufacturer of these tail lights that our supplier does. The only difference is Valenti brings them into their Japanese office and puts the sticker on. These lights are manufactured at the same plant and shipped to distributors. Valenti Japan just decided not to sell the two newest color options that we and many other vendors such as ModBargains has decided to sell. If you put the Valenti Japan tail lights next to a Valenti tail light from us or ModBargains, you will see the same factory stamps and markings.

I do apologize to the OP for the long wait on a resolution for this and it's possible if Maddy had brought this to my attention, I could have expedited the process a bit. The issue at hand is the gasket on this and the way the light is tested points to the gasket. Here is the response we got directly from our supplier.

"We go directly through the manufacture for the taillights. The lights are not replica’s they are made in the same factory which makes them for Valenti Japan. Same quality, same warranty, same lights. The only difference is that we don’t offer the sticker they claim to make them official. We handle all warranty issues here in the USA directed through you.

The issue with this customer is the same issue we have seen. The gasket is not properly installed and allows water in the light. Any issues had with the lights which are not related to installation we swap out no problem. You can compare the issues across the customers and the images all show the same issue, they pinch the gasket at the top and water pours in.

When we test the lights we completely submerge them in water shy of any openings and let it sit for hours. This confirms there were no issues with this customers light in particular. The customer’s gasket was soaked in places water should be able to enter therefore providing evidence either the light was tightened completely or the gasket was compromised."

I wish I would have been notified on the issue much sooner and could have handled it myself, but I am trying to get my sales team up to speed on things and am trusting them to handle situations on their own. Seems that I need to keep a closer eye on them to make sure things are getting pushed through with a bit more urgency.

Regards,
-Yo
FT-86 SpeedFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:27 PM   #37
Agent 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT-86 SpeedFactory View Post
Here's the deal guys.

Valenti Japan works with the same manufacturer of these tail lights that our supplier does. The only difference is Valenti brings them into their Japanese office and puts the sticker on. These lights are manufactured at the same plant and shipped to distributors. Valenti Japan just decided not to sell the two newest color options that we and many other vendors such as ModBargains has decided to sell. If you put the Valenti Japan tail lights next to a Valenti tail light from us or ModBargains, you will see the same factory stamps and markings.

I do apologize to the OP for the long wait on a resolution for this and it's possible if Maddy had brought this to my attention, I could have expedited the process a bit. The issue at hand is the gasket on this and the way the light is tested points to the gasket. Here is the response we got directly from our supplier.

"We go directly through the manufacture for the taillights. The lights are not replica’s they are made in the same factory which makes them for Valenti Japan. Same quality, same warranty, same lights. The only difference is that we don’t offer the sticker they claim to make them official. We handle all warranty issues here in the USA directed through you.

The issue with this customer is the same issue we have seen. The gasket is not properly installed and allows water in the light. Any issues had with the lights which are not related to installation we swap out no problem. You can compare the issues across the customers and the images all show the same issue, they pinch the gasket at the top and water pours in.

When we test the lights we completely submerge them in water shy of any openings and let it sit for hours. This confirms there were no issues with this customers light in particular. The customer’s gasket was soaked in places water should be able to enter therefore providing evidence either the light was tightened completely or the gasket was compromised."

I wish I would have been notified on the issue much sooner and could have handled it myself, but I am trying to get my sales team up to speed on things and am trusting them to handle situations on their own. Seems that I need to keep a closer eye on them to make sure things are getting pushed through with a bit more urgency.

Regards,
-Yo
Hello Yo-

I appreciate your email.

For now, I will just address Emotion USA's email to you.

First, it's a total lie that the gasket was wet. I packed the light myself. Shipped it from Maryland to California (7 day journey), and they claim it was wet. I removed the light from the car on at least 3 occasions, and it was never wet.

I'm not sure of their definition of "pinch", but I posted photos of the gasket for all to see (page 1), and if there's a pinch in the gasket anywhere I need someone to identify it for me. Please. If it was mounted with a pinch, that would still be evident in the gasket. Also, I mounted the nuts with lock washers behind them to ensure the nuts were not loose. I guess I missed the torque specs included with the lights (oh, that's right, there weren't any).

Looking at my photos, it is obvious that there is an indentation in the gasket created by the back side of the tail light housing. That indentation does not breach the edge at any point. It's obvious that that indentation is very close to the edge on one side. But careful inspection of the gasket will also show that there is only one way for the gasket to be installed. The gasket is keyed to the light housing in 5 places (four screw holes and in the center).

If the gasket rests flush with the back of the tail light, in the only orientation possible what else can the consumer do to make the installation "correct"?

Really, what could I have done differently?
Old 11-03-2015, 02:17 PM   #38
jawn

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,757 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Same boat as you, OP. Different vendor, though. Waiting on @ModBargains to RMA my lens, although I'm getting a very similar response - they want photos of the gaskets. My gaskets look the same as yours.

Last edited by jawn; 11-03-2015 at 03:06 PM.
jawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jawn For This Useful Post:
Agent 86 (11-03-2015)
Old 11-03-2015, 03:39 PM   #39
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I was considering either Valenti or TOMs.
I guess i will go with TOMs later
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:41 PM   #40
shodan

Drives: MY15 Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zc06_kisstherain View Post
I was considering either Valenti or TOMs.
I guess i will go with TOMs later
Just dont go clear TOMs xD
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82853
shodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:17 PM   #41
Agent 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawn View Post
Same boat as you, OP. Different vendor, though. Waiting on @ModBargains to RMA my lens, although I'm getting a very similar response - they want photos of the gaskets. My gaskets look the same as yours.

Thanks Jawn for posting that. I saw your photo before I read your comment, and I actually thought it was my photo of my gasket.

I hope ModBargains is able to get you a replacement. ModBargains is aware of this thread. Please keep us posted on your outcome.

It would be nice if other's posted photos of their gaskets.

It's interesting that it's your passenger's side gasket just like mine. Seems, all they had to do is make the gasket 1/2" larger to prevent this problem. My driver's side gasket is the same, but it does not leak.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:41 PM   #42
jawn

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,757 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks Jawn for posting that. I saw your photo before I read your comment, and I actually thought it was my photo of my gasket.

I hope ModBargains is able to get you a replacement. ModBargains is aware of this thread. Please keep us posted on your outcome.

It would be nice if other's posted photos of their gaskets.

It's interesting that it's your passenger's side gasket just like mine. Seems, all they had to do is make the gasket 1/2" larger to prevent this problem. My driver's side gasket is the same, but it does not leak.
Yeah, it's pretty weird. Looks like they really could've used a bigger gasket. ModBargains should be taking care of me, fingers crossed. I'll let you know if things change.
jawn is offline   Reply With Quote