follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 08-27-2016, 04:11 PM   #1
Pro60modman

Drives: Too many
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
B01D 6AT SBD Turbo Tune Questions *Tune Attached*

Been tuning my Dad's 2014 6AT FR-S with a SBD turbo kit for a few days and 600 miles now. Stock everything other than the turbo kit and OMNI 3 Bar. Have a week before his front pipe comes in and I throw it on the dyno so I'm getting it as dialed as I can for now on the street. The timing needs minor shaping which I'll have done today, VVT needs optimized, need some GDI direction and have an AFR question.

What is the optimum AFR to run these at when turbo? I only ask because it's a PI/DI car. On pump 93, most PI cars I run around 11.7 and DI cars I'll run as far up as 12.5. I currently have it set at 11.6 but I've read conflicting info on the subject.

I'd like to get a better understanding of how the DI works in this car but I haven't been able to find any information on it so if anyone can direct me to that information that would be great.

Currently I've copied DI tables from an OFT tune until I get a better understanding of them. The Greddy VVT tables I also copied for now until I begin on optimizing them.

How do I setup the logcfg text to properly log boost and VVT parameters? It's been fun tuning this car entirely open source but definitely not something I'm used to setting up.

Any input on anything else anyone sees in the tune would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT:
Updated with 10psi tunes with aggressive and mild timing in the "2014 Scion FR-S 6AT Tunes" folder. Dyno numbers will be posted 9/7/2016
Attached Files
File Type: zip ZA1JB01D SBD Turbo Tune.zip (536.6 KB, 222 views)
File Type: zip 2014 Scion FR-S 6AT Tunes (2).zip (1.05 MB, 202 views)

Last edited by Pro60modman; 09-05-2016 at 01:51 PM.
Pro60modman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:34 PM   #2
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
not sure if you have seen here

tunes for original sbd kit 7psi standard maf/map from memory

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...21&postcount=1
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:56 PM   #3
Pro60modman

Yea I found those and used the MAF scale to get it started but while I have the car I wanted to learn myself. I've tuned a ton of STI and WRX so tuning this isn't much different, just my first factory PI/DI car. Haven't had a chance to tune the WRX's with DI yet. Your threads and others have helped me a lot. Now I'm just trying to complete my understanding of the ECU so I can squeeze the most power out of it.

I want to know what the point of changing the Minimum DI injection quantity(lower number, DI turns on earlier, allows for more igition timing maybe?), the cold/warm/hot firing angles, etc.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:12 PM   #4
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro60modman View Post
Yea I found those and used the MAF scale to get it started but while I have the car I wanted to learn myself. I've tuned a ton of STI and WRX so tuning this isn't much different, just my first factory PI/DI car. Haven't had a chance to tune the WRX's with DI yet. Your threads and others have helped me a lot. Now I'm just trying to complete my understanding of the ECU so I can squeeze the most power out of it.

I want to know what the point of changing the Minimum DI injection quantity(lower number, DI turns on earlier, allows for more igition timing maybe?), the cold/warm/hot firing angles, etc.

Theirs a whole thread in PI DI here
concentrate on the posts from arghx7 and kodename47
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...t=71506&page=2

Basicly don't mess with the pi di ratios unless your changing the port injector size or running into the DI limits as per mikes post if your running FI or E85.

shiv at openflash appears to run a more 50/50 pi/di ratio to avoid having to change to latget port injectors on the turbo tunes.

once you change the pi di then your going to have to change ignition timing as well, and their does not seem to be much benefit in changing the pi/di ratios anyway other than not to max out the DI injection window.

Ill quote here from a respected pro ecutek tuner

From @moto-mike
"I have grown to LOVE the split DI/PI system on this car. It is more work--yes, but in practice it works incredibly well. Out of all the things we can tweak on this car to make power, the DI/PI ratios and timings are the least touched. The engineers knew what they were doing here, and any tuner who actually spent time trying out the different variations empirically, will be using something very similar to OEM.

The reality here is that DI works BEST by injecting in a very narrow window, just as @arghx7 outlined. Too early and you're blowing out the exhaust, too late and you're still injecting when the combustion event goes off. Another factor is that you don't want to inject too far away from the spark, that's why it isn't just 370 across the board.

We've seen some tuners swear by DI only, and others use 50/50 split or even full on PI in really high HP applications. I don't think either one is a good solution.

Think of it this way: DI fuel delivery will always be the optimal method, UNTIL you make the mixture too unstable or wash the cylinders. Wash is unlikely, but once you approach 7ms injection times (250+whp with e85) you begin to lose some of that benefit. The mixture becomes less stable. Between about 300whp you cross over the threshold where 35% PI has no negative effect. 20% PI on OEM tunes? We have found absolutely no repeatable HP gains, as in 0, like none-what-so-ever. Despite changes in timing, leaner or richer, more or less aggressive cam timing, or different injection timings...I think one car actually made 1hp over 20% PI mix...which is within the margin of error between runs.

So in reality, there's just no reason to overstress the DI system with long IPWs. Take advantage of the dual injection, max out the DI to about 6 ms (this way in sub freezing temperatures you have headroom) and then run port at no more than 80% duty cycle, or about 15ms.

Also, as a comparison the DI equipped FA20 in the 15 WRX...we can't run half the timing on those! DI only we hit the knock threshold at a much lower HP using DI only. Can't explain it and it's still a very new system, but it made me wish for the BRZ setup having tuned it. "
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
COO86L (08-28-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 08:21 PM   #5
Pro60modman

That's the info I was looking for! Thanks again man!
The Following User Says Thank You to Pro60modman For This Useful Post:
COO86L (08-28-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 08:28 PM   #6
Pro60modman

The PI/DI tables are much simpler than I thought. Very similar to my PI/DI combination in my BMW 135i although my PI is aftermarket and I have to work out the percentages through two programs and additional hardware.

Raised the boost to 10.5psi, still on Shell 93 pump gas and put the timing on edge. Dyno next Wednesday to get it all dialed in. Attached the updated tune and one with the timing backed off for other brands of 93 since around here Shell 93 performs much better than other 93's.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:04 PM   #7
Wayno

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
This map is for E0/98 with slightly more DI than the SBD E10 maps. Do not attempt on E85.
Attached Images

Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote