follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 04-15-2012, 01:18 AM   #57
Capt Canuck

Drives: BMW E36 323is
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tree fingers View Post
Jesus, so much fanboy business going on here.

There are tons of clean AP1/AP2 chassis cars for less than $30,xxx, and I would wager that its just as good, if not better, than a BRZ/FRS
I think the OP is looking for a new car, so that eliminates the S2000.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:37 AM   #58
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
yeah but this is a new kind of fanboyism where they hide under the guise of specificity.

it goes like this:

innocent topic creator: "hey how does this thing stack up against the
genesis? the genesis handles well and has a lot of power"

fanboy: "the genesis sucks but the brz is the best car ever because its small, has a really low cog and is relatively cheap. it doesnt need power"

me: "well if thats your cup of tea, the miata is smaller, has a lower cog and is even cheaper"

fanboy: "the miata sucks because its too small and doesnt have enough power."

...and thats the story about how i lost faith in humanity
Bear with it.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:34 AM   #59
zygrene

Drives: 1991 Formula Red NSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by tree fingers View Post
Jesus, so much fanboy business going on here.

There are tons of clean AP1/AP2 chassis cars for less than $30,xxx, and I would wager that its just as good, if not better, than a BRZ/FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Canuck View Post
I think the OP is looking for a new car, so that eliminates the S2000.
While I would love an S2000, it's just not practical enough as a DD. Like I've mentioned, I need a backseat and decent trunk space. Fuel efficiency doesn't hurt, either. And while I don't necessarily need a brand new car, it can't be older than 2009. Those are the guidelines, and they're firm. A few years down the road I wouldn't mind picking up a used AP2, but for now it's not really an option.
zygrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:03 AM   #60
Sparkplug
Rotard

Drives: 135i M-Sport
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Closest thing I can think of is a lightly used 370z, but the shift and clutch action is horrible.
Sparkplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:20 AM   #61
tree fingers

Drives: '93 FD3S
Quote:
Originally Posted by zygrene View Post
While I would love an S2000, it's just not practical enough as a DD. Like I've mentioned, I need a backseat and decent trunk space. Fuel efficiency doesn't hurt, either. And while I don't necessarily need a brand new car, it can't be older than 2009. Those are the guidelines, and they're firm. A few years down the road I wouldn't mind picking up a used AP2, but for now it's not really an option.
If you had read the original post, he listed at least one used car, so that alone doesn't eliminate the possibility of an s2000.

I DD'd an AP2 for two years, and I never found it to be inconvenient. Sure, there isn't a back seat, but that's what the trunk is for. While it isn't very large, it's big enough to be useful. The car gets better fuel economy than people think, especially if you stay out of the higher revs.

There are going to be some interesting cars coming out in the future. I'd be interested to see what changes Subaru and Mitsubishi make to the WRX/EVO.
tree fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:17 PM   #62
ubersoph

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Speed3, WRX, 128i (seriously actually fun to drive), Gen Coupe?

The 128i and the Mazdaspeed3 are the most fun cars on the list I'm giving you. I actually really like my Speed3 except in winter. And that's only because I want to drive like an ass...
ubersoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #63
titusdrake
ex-First 86

Drives: 2013 Mustang
I deleted my posts in this thread because i refuse to argue with the people that would so label me as a "fanboy" in a derogatory way simply because im passionate about a car. This is a FRS/BRZ forum. Figure that out or leave. Calling people "fanboys" does nothing but piss people off.

I never said the frs was "better" than anything else. Its a matter of perspective. A man in the desert craves nothing but water, and to him water is salvation, but to a drowning man water becomes his doom.

I love driving. Period. I will drive anything with an engine. But when it comes to Ownership i prefer Japanese brands because they have a proven track record for building quality cars that last

Thats MY choice and how i will choose to spend MY money on cars. If YOU think otherwise than good for you, go spend YOUR money on a genesis or a Mustang. In my experience and research i am giving MY opinions to the OP'S question. You are free to give YOUR opinions on what you would like to spend money on, but dont be a condescending asshole by insulting me for my opinions and passions.

Now i have owned a few cars, and i take any chance i can to drive any and all cars i can get my hands on.. From my driving experiences and from whats on the market the FRS IS unique in that its a RWD sports car thats fun to drive, affordable, roomy enough to DD and from two of the most reputable and well known brands for quality and reliability.

So to the OP i am buying a Frs because it is super fun to drive and it comes with the reliability and quality of toyota and subaru and i believe it is a good value for your money.

I have been in the market for quite some time and it really depends on what you want in a car. i personally do not recommend a gti or speed3 because FWD. For rwd alternatives its the miata, mustang, camaro, genesis. I suggest driving them all to see what you like. If you can wait you should so that you can drive a frs/brz and see if you like it. It all comes down to driving feel

Last edited by titusdrake; 04-15-2012 at 05:57 PM.
titusdrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #64
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
people called you a fanboy because of this: "closest is Mustang or Genesis..neither of which I would suggest buying because Ford and Hyundai are just playing the game of "lets make it as flashy and as much power as we can while still making them damn cheap" and therefore the quality suffers. the FR-S is quality.

DONT BUY FWD IT SUCKS."

your statements are ignorant. fwd might suck but people dont buy fwd, they buy cars. there are many great cars that employ fwd. i could just as easily say dont buy the frs because macphersons suck or its weight balance sucks or its diff sucks or its price sucks or its power sucks etc. but its stupid to do so. if you judge a car by its components you are going to sound like a fanboy. macphersons work for bmw just like fwd works for the msp or itr
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:09 PM   #65
Spaceywilly
ZC6A2B82KC7J

Drives: 2002 WRX
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by titusdrake View Post
I deleted my posts in this thread because i refuse to argue with the people that would so label me as a "fanboy" in a derogatory way simply because im passionate about a car. This is a FRS/BRZ forum. Figure that out or leave. Calling people "fanboys" does nothing but piss people off.
This kind of attitude is ruining this forum. It's great that you like the FRS but that doesn't mean every other car sucks. Anyone who suggests there might be other cars out there that are worth buying is immediately jumped on by the fanboy mob. It's impossible to have intelligent discussion where only one side of the argument is allowed.

Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers.
Spaceywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #66
ZmZMWagon

Drives: MS3
I just want to know what sucks about FWD in a Hot Weather area as a DD? Saying the MS3/GTI suck because they are FWD is plain ignorant. The OP asks for the best options under $30K it's only right to give him options for every category FWD/RWD/AWD and let him go test drive and decide for himself.
ZmZMWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #67
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
yeah but this is a new kind of fanboyism where they hide under the guise of specificity.

it goes like this:

innocent topic creator: "hey how does this thing stack up against the
genesis? the genesis handles well and has a lot of power"

fanboy: "the genesis sucks but the brz is the best car ever because its small, has a really low cog and is relatively cheap. it doesnt need power"

me: "well if thats your cup of tea, the miata is smaller, has a lower cog and is even cheaper"

fanboy: "the miata sucks because its too small and doesnt have enough power."

...and thats the story about how i lost faith in humanity

:happy0180:
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:08 PM   #68
S2kphile
Resident HoneyBadger

Drives: Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thats why it's always good to add, IMO after every suppose 'fanboyism' comment posted.

To OP: My vote goes to the GTi. Reason being:

1. Plenty of room & space
2. The interior is one of the best for sub 30k
3. IMO, one of the best/fun FWD cars to drive.
4. Lots of HP & TQ to get a person around Cali traffic.
S2kphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #69
titusdrake
ex-First 86

Drives: 2013 Mustang
My comment about FWD was brash, sorry.

I dont care for FWD in a "sports car"

the Civic Si and mini cooper S both handle very well and are fun to drive.

Mazdaspeed3 was fun on the test drive but torque steers like crazy

i have not driven a gti

I prefer RWD or AWD to FWD.

also i never stated "the frs is the best car everrrr" nor did i imply it. From what the OP stated one would ASSUME he wants to buy a RWD vehicle, the single largest noticeable difference in driving between cars (aside from power) is the drivetrain. Since OP was looking for alternatives to the BRZ it is natural to suggest RWD competitors first before FWD because after a week of driving a different drivetrain it is significantly different. I personally wouldnt suggest a FWD platform if the said person was seeking a "sports" car

Last edited by titusdrake; 04-15-2012 at 08:15 PM.
titusdrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:44 PM   #70
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,343 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
people called you a fanboy because of this: "closest is Mustang or Genesis..neither of which I would suggest buying because Ford and Hyundai are just playing the game of "lets make it as flashy and as much power as we can while still making them damn cheap" and therefore the quality suffers. the FR-S is quality.

DONT BUY FWD IT SUCKS."

your statements are ignorant. fwd might suck but people dont buy fwd, they buy cars. there are many great cars that employ fwd. i could just as easily say dont buy the frs because macphersons suck or its weight balance sucks or its diff sucks or its price sucks or its power sucks etc. but its stupid to do so. if you judge a car by its components you are going to sound like a fanboy. macphersons work for bmw just like fwd works for the msp or itr
Bingo. I've driven numerous cars of all drive types. Countless RWD cars, some AWD, and a few FWD. I loved the RWD and AWD cars I got to drive and I loved some of the FWD cars I got to drive i.e: GTI, ITR but didn't care too much for the others i.e: MS3, TC, Cobalt SS.

Each car, regardless of drive type, will feel better/worse than others. Not every car is aimed to be a raw, drivers car. There's a reason manufacturers have a target demographic for the cars they release. So, you aren't somebody the falls in the targeted demographic for the ITR or another FWD car...oh well, that doesn't mean it automatically sucks based on why YOU didn't have interest in it.

PS. I bet the caveman wouldn't automatically turn down the water just cause it wasnt Dasani
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote