follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 04-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #43
SVTSHC
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-17 View Post

Its gotta be a V8 or nothing when it comes to that type of car.
That used to be the mentality with the old V6, but with the new one putting out 305hp, getting 31mpg, coming base with HID's AND starting below 23k... it's hard to pass that up.

"Sweet Subaru, sweet Subaru, send your BRZ unto me, for the roads of the unworthy must be baptized in speed and glory." ~Zaku
SVTSHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #44
Capt Canuck

Drives: BMW E36 323is
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
^Agreed. The V6 is more than enough. Sure the extra thump of the V8 would be great and I do really like the the Boss 302, but that V6 is such value for money.

Of course it's all for not, the OP is not interested in American muscle/pony cars.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #45
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 6,254 Times in 2,673 Posts
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTSHC View Post
That used to be the mentality with the old V6, but with the new one putting out 305hp, getting 31mpg, coming base with HID's AND starting below 23k... it's hard to pass that up.
Yeah, its up to whoever likes it in that way. Not for me though. I would get so much crap for it if I ever went with a v6. My family would probably strangle me before my friends got the chance if I bought one. If anyone gets a muscle car then it better be V8, that's the mentality I've had, not so much anymore too cause of the upgrade of the current v6's rolling around now. So its not that I would put someone down for having a v6 cause I almost bought a straight six by accident (68' mustang) and then I would have gotten a 2011 V8 mustang to go along with it.

Education is Important, but Race Cars are more Importanter
M-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #46
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 6,254 Times in 2,673 Posts
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Canuck View Post
^Agreed. The V6 is more than enough. Sure the extra thump of the V8 would be great and I do really like the the Boss 302, but that V6 is such value for money.

Of course it's all for not, the OP is not interested in American muscle/pony cars.
Yeah that's true, I really didn't mean to take this thread into another direction.

MY B

Education is Important, but Race Cars are more Importanter
M-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #47
Capt Canuck

^No no... maybe now he'll start considering it as well ;-)
I mean if someone can consider the new Civic Si, then why not a Mustang :-)
Old 04-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #48
SVTSHC
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-17 View Post
Yeah, its up to whoever likes it in that way. Not for me though. I would get so much crap for it if I ever went with a v6. My family would probably strangle me before my friends got the chance if I bought one. If anyone gets a muscle car then it better be V8, that's the mentality I've had, not so much anymore too cause of the upgrade of the current v6's rolling around now. So its not that I would put someone down for having a v6 cause I almost bought a straight six by accident (68' mustang) and then I would have gotten a 2011 V8 mustang to go along with it.
No I hear ya bro. Both friends AND family wouldn't let me live down getting the v6, as worthwhile as it is if I'm to get a muscle car it's gotta be a V8. Which is my problem with stang 5.0, I love it but fully built the way I would it costs 42k... and the 302 is 45k... soooooooooo yeah...

"Sweet Subaru, sweet Subaru, send your BRZ unto me, for the roads of the unworthy must be baptized in speed and glory." ~Zaku
Old 04-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #49
zygrene

Drives: 1991 Formula Red NSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Canuck View Post
^No no... maybe now he'll start considering it as well ;-)
I mean if someone can consider the new Civic Si, then why not a Mustang :-)
Truth be told, I really don't want a Civic Si either. If I'm going to get a small, lightweight car without a ton a power, it had better look slick as hell and have amazing RWD handling. The Civic Si has neither, unless Honda magically fixed the understeer problems inherent to FWD cars. But it's still a chunky lookin' coupe.

Between the Si and the Mustang, I'd probably lean slightly toward the Si just because of all the crap I'd get for driving a pony car. I've always naturally been partial toward Japanese cars, anyway. American cars just aren't for me.
zygrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:19 PM   #50
Capt Canuck

^I see you drive an older civic, but trust me the 8th gen sporty civics are nothing like a standard one. With a slippy diff and an adjustable chassis you could dial out a lot of the inherent understeer in a typical FWD.

That said, does the 9th gen sporty civic have those same traits? IDK I haven't driven one, but like yourself I would stump up an extra $2k and get a BRZ over the new Si :-)
Old 04-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #51
SVTSHC
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by zygrene View Post
Truth be told, I really don't want a Civic Si either. If I'm going to get a small, lightweight car without a ton a power, it had better look slick as hell and have amazing RWD handling. The Civic Si has neither, unless Honda magically fixed the understeer problems inherent to FWD cars. But it's still a chunky lookin' coupe.

Between the Si and the Mustang, I'd probably lean slightly toward the Si just because of all the crap I'd get for driving a pony car. I've always naturally been partial toward Japanese cars, anyway. American cars just aren't for me.
Pssh who cares who would give you crap for driving a Pony car. In the end it's YOUR car, whoever doesn't like it can go pound salt. If I wasn't so obsessed with the 5.0/Boss 302 and wanted a stang with good power, good handling, and an extremely reasonable price tag I'd get the v6, F*** what anybody else says.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:02 PM   #52
zygrene

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTSHC View Post
Pssh who cares who would give you crap for driving a Pony car. In the end it's YOUR car, whoever doesn't like it can go pound salt. If I wasn't so obsessed with the 5.0/Boss 302 and wanted a stang with good power, good handling, and an extremely reasonable price tag I'd get the v6, F*** what anybody else says.
I agree with you about choosing the car you like, but it's hardly just an "image" thing. I genuinely prefer Japanese cars.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:13 PM   #53
zygrene

Quote:
Originally Posted by titusdrake View Post
Scion Fr-S /THREAD

there is NOTHING like it under 30k

closest is Mustang or Genesis..neither of which I would suggest buying because Ford and Hyundai are just playing the game of "lets make it as flashy and as much power as we can while still making them damn cheap" and therefore the quality suffers. the FR-S is quality.

DONT BUY FWD IT SUCKS.

^^^this again^^^^

So buy a FR-S or BRZ and be happy.
:happy0180:

Yeah, I've decided that the BRZ is the only car I really, really want atm and is practical enough to use as a DD.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:57 PM   #54
SVTSHC
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Quote:
Scion Fr-S /THREAD

closest is Mustang or Genesis..neither of which I would suggest buying because Ford and Hyundai are just playing the game of "lets make it as flashy and as much power as we can while still making them damn cheap" and therefore the quality suffers. the FR-S is quality.

DONT BUY FWD IT SUCKS.

^^^this again^^^^

It really really really bothers me when people make quality assessments about other vehicles having never owned them. There's nothing flashy about a stang, frankly they put as much as possible in the car and still offer it for a kickass price. And FWD sucking is YOUR opinion.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #55
tree fingers

Drives: '93 FD3S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Scion Fr-S /THREAD

DONT BUY FWD IT SUCKS.

^^^this again^^^^

Jesus, so much fanboy business going on here.

There are tons of clean AP1/AP2 chassis cars for less than $30,xxx, and I would wager that its just as good, if not better, than a BRZ/FRS
tree fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #56
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tree fingers View Post
Jesus, so much fanboy business going on here.

There are tons of clean AP1/AP2 chassis cars for less than $30,xxx, and I would wager that its just as good, if not better, than a BRZ/FRS
yeah but this is a new kind of fanboyism where they hide under the guise of specificity.

it goes like this:

innocent topic creator: "hey how does this thing stack up against the
genesis? the genesis handles well and has a lot of power"

fanboy: "the genesis sucks but the brz is the best car ever because its small, has a really low cog and is relatively cheap. it doesnt need power"

me: "well if thats your cup of tea, the miata is smaller, has a lower cog and is even cheaper"

fanboy: "the miata sucks because its too small and doesnt have enough power."

...and thats the story about how i lost faith in humanity
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatoni For This Useful Post:
Alias (04-15-2012), SUB-FT86 (04-15-2012)