follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 01-05-2018, 01:15 PM   #1
Lakitu

Drives: 2017 Halo 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Dent discovered in rear quarter panel...

I noticed this morning that there's a dent about the size of an index finger with a black scuff mark in the center on my driver side rear quarter panel. Some dumbass had to have opened their door and hit my car at a parking lot last night because it was not there earlier that same day.

I am pissed. What the fuck is wrong with people who feel the need to open a door that quickly and forceful?

Maybe I am overreacting? How much will it cost to get this repaired?

The damn thing is only a year old. I understand unexpected damage happens from things like road debris, wild life, natural occurrences in general. But I wasn't expecting this type of crap for YEARS to come. Imagine if this was something far more expensive...

I've heard of people parking further away from where everyone else parks because of paranoia, but I had always thought it was over-the-top and better to give benefit of the doubt.

And now every time I approach my car to drive it my eyes will automatically shift to that stupid ass, glaring dent. Would have been better if it was on the passenger side - because "out of sight, out of mind"
Old 01-05-2018, 01:16 PM   #2
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,163 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Call up a local PDR shop (some are mobile) and get an estimate. Also try parking far away in lots if you can help it.

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8RZ For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 01:23 PM   #3
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,239 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Sucks.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:37 PM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakitu View Post
I noticed this morning that there's a dent about the size of an index finger with a black scuff mark in the center on my driver side rear quarter panel. Some dumbass had to have opened their door and hit my car at a parking lot last night because it was not there earlier that same day......
Well, that's too bad .....

Maybe a child opened the door of the other car and didn't have the strength to keep it from opening further ..... ??

Maybe a pregnant woman, holding a baby on her hip, had to grab the baby at the last minute ....??

Maybe an elderly lady, using a walker, misjudged the distance between cars .... ??

Now, does that make you feel any better .. ??

Yep, ring up a PDR person ......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:51 PM   #5
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
You expected to not get a door ding for "years"? You were over optimistic. You could park 2 miles from your destination and still have somebody park beside you and smack you with a door. As much as it sucks it is classified as normal wear and tear on a car and will happen again. If the paint isn't chipped it will be a cheap PFR repair.
Mr.ac (04-29-2019)
Old 01-05-2018, 01:56 PM   #6
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakitu View Post
I noticed this morning that there's a dent about the size of an index finger with a black scuff mark in the center on my driver side rear quarter panel. Some dumbass had to have opened their door and hit my car at a parking lot last night because it was not there earlier that same day.

I am pissed. What the fuck is wrong with people who feel the need to open a door that quickly and forceful?

Maybe I am overreacting? How much will it cost to get this repaired?

The damn thing is only a year old. I understand unexpected damage happens from things like road debris, wild life, natural occurrences in general. But I wasn't expecting this type of crap for YEARS to come. Imagine if this was something far more expensive...

I've heard of people parking further away from where everyone else parks because of paranoia, but I had always thought it was over-the-top and better to give benefit of the doubt.

And now every time I approach my car to drive it my eyes will automatically shift to that stupid ass, glaring dent. Would have been better if it was on the passenger side - because "out of sight, out of mind"
I used to think it was over reacting until it needlessly happend to me a few times. That eyesore is worse than spending an extra 30-40 seconds walking from a further away parking spot.

My coworker told me a story that happened in her recently. She was on lunch at a grocery store lot and some punk kids parked next to her and swung open their door and slammed into her vehicle. She got out and said wtf! The passenger kid just bolted then driver just quickly drove away leaving her in the lot with a dented door. Punk high school kids, not cool. On the bright side though she drives an econo van so no one really cares but still it was pretty new. I have lost all faith in folks to be careful opening their doors. Plus a little bit of extra walking never hurts and gives more time to admire that pretty twin from afar.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DandoX For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 02:03 PM   #7
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
sadly it is pretty much unavoidable if you ever park in public :s I thought I was really good about parking away from others but even so I recently had a SUV park right next to me in the back of a nearly empty lot who still managed to give me a nice dent present.. fortunately PDR works pretty well around the doors since there are good openings for the tech to push his tools through..though on my first FRS my ex-wife threw her car door onto mine and left huge dent right on the body line that follows the window..needless to say the PDR tech couldn't take it out entirely hopefully OPs dent isn't in too rough of a spot..
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:59 PM   #8
Celica00

Drives: 86
Ah yes, the first dent. It's inevitable. Just live with it and move in. I was ridiculously pissed when I had my first dent. Now I never even notice it.

I know someone who actually keys their brand new cars when they buy em so they don't stress about their first blemish. The second blemish stings a lot less!
Celica00 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Celica00 For This Useful Post:
asdf (01-05-2018), Tcoat (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 04:33 PM   #9
FirstWinter

Drives: Car
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celica00 View Post
I know someone who actually keys their brand new cars when they buy em so they don't stress about their first blemish.
absolutely mental
FirstWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:48 PM   #10
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,428 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Ah yes, the first dent. It's inevitable. Just live with it and move in. I was ridiculously pissed when I had my first dent. Now I never even notice it.

I know someone who actually keys their brand new cars when they buy em so they don't stress about their first blemish. The second blemish stings a lot less!
I accidentally closed a snow shovel handle in my door for the first dent. I was still pretty pissed about the second one...
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:17 PM   #11
Kiwman

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I got 3 in the first two weeks of ownership on my FRS.

Was pretty mad except I don't really notice them a lot, except for one. Its right above the door handle on the driver side and I see it every time I get in the car. Wouldn't be so bad if I didn't see light refract (is that the right tern? IDK) off it.
Kiwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:10 PM   #12
Celica00

Drives: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstWinter View Post
absolutely mental
The rationale behind it is they get to choose when the car becomes imperfect. Not some stranger. Fair enough if you ask me. I'd never do it though
Celica00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:19 PM   #13
asdf
Loading...████████] 99%

Drives: #0517
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
first one always hurts the most
asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:29 PM   #14
eunosM3

Drives: 1998 BMW M3 (Cosmoschwarz)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Or, use a ball peen hammer for a nice, small first dent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eunosM3 is offline   Reply With Quote