follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List
MisterSheep

Old 08-19-2016, 02:32 PM   #4257
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Not sure how many of you guys know. But i found an amazing back road to drive near the Livermore/Tracy area. I believe it's called Peterson road and it exits onto Vasco in Livermore. Entrance is along 580 off of an exit called Mountain Village i think. The road is probably about 20 minutes long but its nice and twisty. Not too many cars and for the most part its only one way. Took the BRZ on that a few days ago with sport mode on.

Best part is that avg speed limit is 35-45 so its enough to have some fun but not enough where you are gonna slide sideways off the hill lol.
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:45 PM   #4258
PMok
Codename: Stitch

Drives: 91 MR2; 06 IS350; 16 BRZ; 18 CX-5
Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,307 Posts
Mentioned: 462 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxyion View Post
Not sure how many of you guys know. But i found an amazing back road to drive near the Livermore/Tracy area. I believe it's called Peterson road and it exits onto Vasco in Livermore. Entrance is along 580 off of an exit called Mountain Village i think. The road is probably about 20 minutes long but its nice and twisty. Not too many cars and for the most part its only one way. Took the BRZ on that a few days ago with sport mode on.

Best part is that avg speed limit is 35-45 so its enough to have some fun but not enough where you are gonna slide sideways off the hill lol.

I think you're referring to Patterson Pass... we know it pretty well. I believe @finch1750 considers it his home course LOL.

I personally think it's too short and too narrow to have much fun on, with blind corners. Also it is not a one way road... As @Clipdat might recall we came across oncoming traffic one time, at uh... well let's just say we were going a bit faster than was wise.

I personally like Mines Rd (from Livermore) better, it is a much longer drive, wider, and takes you out to a great lunch spot, The Junction. I'm not sure yet, but maybe we'll take that this Saturday. You should join us if you're free!
Old 08-19-2016, 02:52 PM   #4259
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Well I did remember that I have a 2nd car but then I also saw there is an Autox in Stockton tomorrow with the Poesche Club so I may take the spyder there. Been wanting to have a safe place to feel snap oversteer lol
I thought you have to have a Porsche (or know somebody who does?) to do the autoX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMok View Post
I think you're referring to Patterson Pass... we know it pretty well. I believe @finch1750 considers it his home course LOL.

I personally think it's too short and too narrow to have much fun on, with blind corners. Also it is not a one way road... As @Clipdat might recall we came across oncoming traffic one time, at uh... well let's just say we were going a bit faster than was wise.

I personally like Mines Rd (from Livermore) better, it is a much longer drive, wider, and takes you out to a great lunch spot, The Junction. I'm not sure yet, but maybe we'll take that this Saturday. You should join us if you're free!
Gonna have to agree with P here. Patterson pass is a nice road (I love the little "vista point" at the top of the hill) but just too narrow and sketchy to be fun. @Xxyion There is also Tesla road that runs parallel a little bit south of it that you might wanna check out .
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:52 PM   #4260
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Quote:

YES patterson pass that was it. I had no idea Mines was a good backroad. I live right off of North Mines. I wish i could join you guys but my car unfortunately will still be in the shop. Something happened with shipping and the detailer needs to keep it one more day. Let me know the next weekend you guys head out! I want to meet more people with 86's!! =D
Old 08-19-2016, 02:54 PM   #4261
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
Gonna have to agree with P here. Patterson pass is a nice road (I love the little "vista point" at the top of the hill) but just too narrow and sketchy to be fun. @Xxyion There is also Tesla road that runs parallel a little bit south of it that you might wanna check out .
Haha i'm new to spirited drives so i took it pretty slow and steady. Just wanted to get my feet wet. I'll definetly check out that other road though!
Old 08-19-2016, 03:40 PM   #4262
driggity

Drives: Silver Coupe with a Boxer
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Sounds a lot like Calaveras. Fun, but narrow and a lot of blind corners so even if you're being smart you have to hope that people coming the other way are too.
driggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:46 PM   #4263
PMok

Quote:
Haha i'm new to spirited drives so i took it pretty slow and steady. Just wanted to get my feet wet. I'll definetly check out that other road though!
Yes you're wise to take it easy when you start out... drive at your own comfortable pace not that of the others around you. Nobody wants to see you exceed your limits and damage your new pride and joy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driggity View Post
Sounds a lot like Calaveras. Fun, but narrow and a lot of blind corners so even if you're being smart you have to hope that people coming the other way are too.
Yep, you nailed it, it's a lot like Calaveras... same reason I avoid that route too most of the time haha.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:30 PM   #4264
undefindedt
Hi.

Drives: 14' Asphalt
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Patterson Pass is extremely fun but really dangerous, not only oncoming traffic but if you don't know the road well / your car every inch..few spots can bite you in ass and total your car quickly..not to mention injury to yourself or passengers.

I commute home through it almost every day. Lol.
I like Toyota's
IG: undefindedt
undefindedt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:07 PM   #4265
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:

Yeah, Patterson Pass is fun but not good for a group. Too narrow and too short (its only about a 10 min drive). I normally do it in a loop with Tesla like @BigFatFlip mentioned.

It is NOT one way at any point so please be careful when you are on it

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
PMok (08-19-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 06:09 PM   #4266
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
I thought you have to have a Porsche (or know somebody who does?) to do the autoX?

Hmmm. Maybe. It listed a price for non-members and I assumed you didnt need to own a porsche similar to Lotus Club. Thanks for the heads up

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
Old 08-19-2016, 06:10 PM   #4267
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by driggity View Post
Yeah, similar but a little better if you know how to look ahead

Old 08-19-2016, 09:00 PM   #4268
PMok

OK I decided to do Mt Hamilton from the South side this time. For anyone who wants to join me... It's been a while since we took Hwy 130 up and over Mt. Hamilton from the San Jose side, towards the Junction. We'll enjoy the unique drive from this direction and stop at the Junction for lunch.

Meet up at 11AM in San Jose by the Starbucks on Alum Rock, roll out by 11:30AM. We will stop briefly at the Observatory before continuing down to the Junction. After lunch we will probably continue on Mines Rd to Livermore.

There is a covered parking lot at the intersection of Alum Rock Ave and N White Rd, across the street from the Starbucks for James Lick High School. Let's meet and roll out from there.

Address for the Starbucks:
3107 Alum Rock Ave, San Jose, CA 95127
Old 08-19-2016, 11:18 PM   #4269
undefindedt
Hi.

Drives: 14' Asphalt
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Do i get an extra star if I run it from Mines up into San Jose ON THE WAY to the meetup spot? Lol
I like Toyota's
IG: undefindedt
undefindedt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undefindedt For This Useful Post:
PMok (08-19-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 11:47 PM   #4270
PMok

Quote:
Originally Posted by undefindedt View Post
Do i get an extra star if I run it from Mines up into San Jose ON THE WAY to the meetup spot? Lol

LOL stars are typically awarded for taking part in a group drive ... Solo drives do not get one. If you can get someone else to join you though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk