follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-09-2013, 06:48 AM   #1
MikeC

Drives: Subaru Legacy
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Post Top Gear Coupe of the Year Comparo: GT86 vs BRZ

FT86CLUB Homepage Featured Story

TopGear have just published a comparison of the twins.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/cou...brz-2013-01-09

It's a little out of date as Subaru UK have just changed their warranty to match the 5-year Toyota version and I don't understand how the engines could sound different but I would agree that the basic spec Subaru radio is awful.

Here's the entire text, compiled by zuldajin:

Not many road tests begin with a fur hat and a blindfold, but it's freezing in Wales, and we're attempting an experiment. So here I am, standing beside the road with a mask over my face and fake fox on my head. As some elderly ramblers watch, a car pulls up, and I'm bundled into the passenger seat. "Sorry about this, mate," says the driver, before commencing a gravelly burnout while I slap the air in panic. "Look happy, or they'll think I've kidnapped you."

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-01-09 at 3.37.27 PM.jpg
Views: 8986
Size:  87.4 KB

There's a 50 per cent chance I've just been abducted in a Toyota GT86. But it's equally probable I'm in its near-identical twin, the Subaru BRZ. For two days, we've been driving them around, playing spot the difference. There certainly are some, but when it comes to actually computing them, the mind is a fickle thing. Maybe my brain prefers blue to orange. Perhaps I just expected to like one more than the other. And, as psychologists have proved, these are things that can twist your judgement.

So there's only one thing for it: block out the decoys. Forget the badges. Colours don't matter. And you can be as pretty as you like, but that information won't be reaching my impressionable little brain right now. With such distractions out of the way, I can focus on the raw sensations. Every twitch and bump and rut and bobble. If they match up with our earlier suspicions, we'll be closer to really telling these two apart. Hopefully. It's a bit like the Pepsi Challenge... with cars.

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-01-09 at 3.37.40 PM.jpg
Views: 8789
Size:  109.7 KB

First, some history. We already know we like these things enough to give one an award at the end of this story. They prove you don't need to go a million miles per hour to have fun. And that 1,240kg (give or take a kilo for the purposes of rounding), rear-wheel drive and 200bhp is just about right. Both have traces of Porsche or Lotus in the way they go down the road and around corners. Neither uses cheap tricks, and you get the feeling each was developed by men prepared to spend endless days fiddling with shims and springs until they reached their Goldilocks moment. There have been squabbles over who did what. Toyota claims the original idea, but admits working with Subaru to actually flesh out the car. From there on, the division of labour is uncertain. Each had its own team, and each claims its final product is slightly different from the other. Subaru was the first to give us a proper drive, and we know that every car - whether GT86 or BRZ - is made at its factory. Both have their logos stamped under the bonnet, though it's easy to fish out the likely contributions there: boxer engine from Subaru, direct injection from Toyota. Here's how we see it: Toyota is a top-three carmaker and owns around 16 per cent of Subaru's parent company. So it probably stamped its feet a bit. And without such giant backing, Subaru would've had to really shake its pockets to afford an all-new product and the enormous cost of putting it on sale around the world. You may wonder, then, why Toyota needed Subaru at all. But then you remember that one makes the Yaris while the other makes forest-munching rally replicas. Let's just say they needed each other on this one...

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-01-09 at 3.37.51 PM.jpg
Views: 77212
Size:  107.9 KB

Whatever. Here we are with the actual cars, so we can finally have a good poke around. Let's start with the front view. Both have strips of LEDs: the GT86's look like angry eyebrows atop the light cluster, while the BRZ's create a softer effect around the edges. Beneath them is a foglight housing: triangular for the GT86, squarish on the BRZ. Then it's bumpers and grilles: the Toyota's sharp and clean, the Subaru's more rounded and a touch bulbous, thanks to the plastic bar behind the numberplate... a smiley dolphin to Toyota's fighting fish.

Moving rearwards, the differences become more forensic. On the front wings of both cars are pseudo vents. But where the Subaru goes for a plastic strake and blacked-out panel to simulate a grille of sorts, the Toyota goes for a body-colour block with a GT86 logo, plus a tiny black oval for a grille effect. Around the back, the BRZ's badges sit just under the rear wing, while the GT's are glued beneath the numberplate and pinched towards the middle. Tiny things, but it's the Subaru that looks a touch more balanced as a result.

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-01-09 at 3.38.03 PM.jpg
Views: 8928
Size:  80.4 KB

Inside, the differences can be summed up like this: frameless rear-view mirror in the Toyota, plastic surround in the Subaru. Carbon-effect dash inserts in the 86, shiny silver in the BRZ. Proper stereo and satnav in the Toyota, irritating Pioneer thing in the Subaru. White dial backlights in the GT86, orange in the BRZ. The Bluetooth microphone design on the top of the steering column is also different. Do any of these things matter? On their own, probably not. But added up, the Toyota feels a bit more expensive.

Which leads us to the price. Both cost £24,995. Add leather to the Toyota, and you'll spend an extra £1,600. Upgrading to the leathery SE Lux BRZ costs you £1,500. Throw in metallic paint with your cow-trim, and overall you'll spend £95 less on the Subaru than the Toyota. There are six shared paint jobs, while both have a unique colour in the WR Blue and Velocity Orange seen here. The Toyota has a five-year, 100,000 mile warranty versus three years and 60,000 miles for the Subaru. But the BRZ also comes with an excellent complimentary package including free dent and alloy repairs, free monthly wash, free annual valet and winter-wheel storage.

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-01-09 at 3.38.19 PM.jpg
Views: 8195
Size:  66.2 KB

And what about the driving? After two days on the road - not blindfolded, for reasons of wellbeing - here's what I felt. Both these cars are bursting with energy, spurring you to use every last gram of power. They're as fizzy as a hot hatch, but somehow the Toyota feels more playful. It seems to take a more obvious chomp at a corner, followed by a slight roll of the shoulder as the rear end perks up. The BRZ feels a touch more direct, and a bit more serious about the business of going around bends. Put it this way: the Toyota meets each corner like a puppy greeting the postman. The BRZ grabs the letter right out of his hand.

I was sort of expecting this. Both sets of engineers hinted as much when we tried the cars separately. And though their characters differ, we're talking about a degree of steering here, a notch of suspension there. It's easy to amplify this stuff. Which brings us back to our experiment. Could the pointy bumper fool you into thinking the 86 is feistier? Was the early expectation ambushing our senses? Or were we really feeling it through hands and bottoms?

Back on with the blindfold for a blast up the same bit of road. And after five minutes of blackout in each car, I think a verdict has been reached. My first mystery ride? I'm going with the Toyota. I could swear it pushed me harder into the seat bolster as it took a greedier first bite at each corner. Next? Subaru. The ride was ever-so-slightly calmer... a little more subdued, maybe. Not by much, but certainly a bit. As the mask comes off, I'm proved correct.

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-01-09 at 3.38.27 PM.jpg
Views: 8620
Size:  111.4 KB

And with the benefit of hindsight or, rather, no sight, other things are revealed. The Toyota has a deeper, more resonant sound. Both pipe induction noise into the cabin through a rubber hose, but the Toyota does it better. Then again, this BRZ had done twice as many miles as the GT, so maybe that has something to do with it. The GT's damping felt a touch firmer too. These might seem like tiny things, but such marginal differences can be explained like race-car set-up: Lewis might prefer a lively rear end, where Jenson prefers something less playful. Essentially, they still drive the same car.

So what if I was forced to choose? One of these must become our Coupe of the Year. And it's going to be the Toyota. Partly due to that extra playfulness, partly because the more aggressive styling suits it better than the BRZ's. But here's the thing: you can get your hands on one sooner. Whatever the engineering input, there was an agreement that Toyota got the lion's share of stock. That, plus big demand in Japan and the USA, means there's currently a six-month waiting list for a BRZ in the UK.

As I write this, directors from Subaru's UK importers are in Japan, pleading for more cars. If they get more, they will sell. These are both excellent cars, and will go down as Top Gear heroes. You don't need a pair of eyes to see that.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to MikeC For This Useful Post:
86X86 (01-09-2013), AlexTheGreek (01-11-2013), bestwheelbase (01-13-2013), calis5nest (01-09-2013), cleethree (01-26-2013), Guff (01-12-2013), HunterGreene (01-23-2013), Imti (01-13-2013), JSUB (01-12-2013), lazyluka (01-09-2013), Pascal_TTH (01-23-2013), ShoNUFF (01-10-2013), sierra (01-26-2013), speedracer38 (01-09-2013), SubieNate (01-09-2013), trish07 (01-10-2013), Turbowned (01-09-2013), venom8776 (01-21-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
zuldajin

Drives: K24 Swapped FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I hate reading slideshows, heres everything all in 1 page

Quote:
Not many road tests begin with a fur hat and a blindfold, but it's freezing in Wales, and we're attempting an experiment. So here I am, standing beside the road with a mask over my face and fake fox on my head. As some elderly ramblers watch, a car pulls up, and I'm bundled into the passenger seat. "Sorry about this, mate," says the driver, before commencing a gravelly burnout while I slap the air in panic. "Look happy, or they'll think I've kidnapped you."

There's a 50 per cent chance I've just been abducted in a Toyota GT86. But it's equally probable I'm in its near-identical twin, the Subaru BRZ. For two days, we've been driving them around, playing spot the difference. There certainly are some, but when it comes to actually computing them, the mind is a fickle thing. Maybe my brain prefers blue to orange. Perhaps I just expected to like one more than the other. And, as psychologists have proved, these are things that can twist your judgement.

So there's only one thing for it: block out the decoys. Forget the badges. Colours don't matter. And you can be as pretty as you like, but that information won't be reaching my impressionable little brain right now. With such distractions out of the way, I can focus on the raw sensations. Every twitch and bump and rut and bobble. If they match up with our earlier suspicions, we'll be closer to really telling these two apart. Hopefully. It's a bit like the Pepsi Challenge... with cars.

First, some history. We already know we like these things enough to give one an award at the end of this story. They prove you don't need to go a million miles per hour to have fun. And that 1,240kg (give or take a kilo for the purposes of rounding), rear-wheel drive and 200bhp is just about right. Both have traces of Porsche or Lotus in the way they go down the road and around corners. Neither uses cheap tricks, and you get the feeling each was developed by men prepared to spend endless days fiddling with shims and springs until they reached their Goldilocks moment. There have been squabbles over who did what. Toyota claims the original idea, but admits working with Subaru to actually flesh out the car. From there on, the division of labour is uncertain. Each had its own team, and each claims its final product is slightly different from the other. Subaru was the first to give us a proper drive, and we know that every car - whether GT86 or BRZ - is made at its factory. Both have their logos stamped under the bonnet, though it's easy to fish out the likely contributions there: boxer engine from Subaru, direct injection from Toyota. Here's how we see it: Toyota is a top-three carmaker and owns around 16 per cent of Subaru's parent company. So it probably stamped its feet a bit. And without such giant backing, Subaru would've had to really shake its pockets to afford an all-new product and the enormous cost of putting it on sale around the world. You may wonder, then, why Toyota needed Subaru at all. But then you remember that one makes the Yaris while the other makes forest-munching rally replicas. Let's just say they needed each other on this one...

Whatever. Here we are with the actual cars, so we can finally have a good poke around. Let's start with the front view. Both have strips of LEDs: the GT86's look like angry eyebrows atop the light cluster, while the BRZ's create a softer effect around the edges. Beneath them is a foglight housing: triangular for the GT86, squarish on the BRZ. Then it's bumpers and grilles: the Toyota's sharp and clean, the Subaru's more rounded and a touch bulbous, thanks to the plastic bar behind the numberplate... a smiley dolphin to Toyota's fighting fish.

Moving rearwards, the differences become more forensic. On the front wings of both cars are pseudo vents. But where the Subaru goes for a plastic strake and blacked-out panel to simulate a grille of sorts, the Toyota goes for a body-colour block with a GT86 logo, plus a tiny black oval for a grille effect. Around the back, the BRZ's badges sit just under the rear wing, while the GT's are glued beneath the numberplate and pinched towards the middle. Tiny things, but it's the Subaru that looks a touch more balanced as a result.

Inside, the differences can be summed up like this: frameless rear-view mirror in the Toyota, plastic surround in the Subaru. Carbon-effect dash inserts in the 86, shiny silver in the BRZ. Proper stereo and satnav in the Toyota, irritating Pioneer thing in the Subaru. White dial backlights in the GT86, orange in the BRZ. The Bluetooth microphone design on the top of the steering column is also different. Do any of these things matter? On their own, probably not. But added up, the Toyota feels a bit more expensive.

Which leads us to the price. Both cost £24,995. Add leather to the Toyota, and you'll spend an extra £1,600. Upgrading to the leathery SE Lux BRZ costs you £1,500. Throw in metallic paint with your cow-trim, and overall you'll spend £95 less on the Subaru than the Toyota. There are six shared paint jobs, while both have a unique colour in the WR Blue and Velocity Orange seen here. The Toyota has a five-year, 100,000 mile warranty versus three years and 60,000 miles for the Subaru. But the BRZ also comes with an excellent complimentary package including free dent and alloy repairs, free monthly wash, free annual valet and winter-wheel storage.

And what about the driving? After two days on the road - not blindfolded, for reasons of wellbeing - here's what I felt. Both these cars are bursting with energy, spurring you to use every last gram of power. They're as fizzy as a hot hatch, but somehow the Toyota feels more playful. It seems to take a more obvious chomp at a corner, followed by a slight roll of the shoulder as the rear end perks up. The BRZ feels a touch more direct, and a bit more serious about the business of going around bends. Put it this way: the Toyota meets each corner like a puppy greeting the postman. The BRZ grabs the letter right out of his hand.

I was sort of expecting this. Both sets of engineers hinted as much when we tried the cars separately. And though their characters differ, we're talking about a degree of steering here, a notch of suspension there. It's easy to amplify this stuff. Which brings us back to our experiment. Could the pointy bumper fool you into thinking the 86 is feistier? Was the early expectation ambushing our senses? Or were we really feeling it through hands and bottoms?
Back on with the blindfold for a blast up the same bit of road. And after five minutes of blackout in each car, I think a verdict has been reached. My first mystery ride? I'm going with the Toyota. I could swear it pushed me harder into the seat bolster as it took a greedier first bite at each corner. Next? Subaru. The ride was ever-so-slightly calmer... a little more subdued, maybe. Not by much, but certainly a bit. As the mask comes off, I'm proved correct.

And with the benefit of hindsight or, rather, no sight, other things are revealed. The Toyota has a deeper, more resonant sound. Both pipe induction noise into the cabin through a rubber hose, but the Toyota does it better. Then again, this BRZ had done twice as many miles as the GT, so maybe that has something to do with it. The GT's damping felt a touch firmer too. These might seem like tiny things, but such marginal differences can be explained like race-car set-up: Lewis might prefer a lively rear end, where Jenson prefers something less playful. Essentially, they still drive the same car.

So what if I was forced to choose? One of these must become our Coupe of the Year. And it's going to be the Toyota. Partly due to that extra playfulness, partly because the more aggressive styling suits it better than the BRZ's. But here's the thing: you can get your hands on one sooner. Whatever the engineering input, there was an agreement that Toyota got the lion's share of stock. That, plus big demand in Japan and the USA, means there's currently a six-month waiting list for a BRZ in the UK.

As I write this, directors from Subaru's UK importers are in Japan, pleading for more cars. If they get more, they will sell. These are both excellent cars, and will go down as Top Gear heroes. You don't need a pair of eyes to see that.
zuldajin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zuldajin For This Useful Post:
azngolfur (01-09-2013), Sigh-on-Rice (01-09-2013), venom8776 (01-21-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
Jaylyons1

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ; 1993 Skyline GT-R
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I like their analogy comparing the two with the puppy. I noticed that as well. The Scion just feels like it wants to kick the back end out everywhere you go whereas the Subaru likes to stick a bit more. I do find it funny that it seems the two models flipped for the states with the Subaru being the higher end model.
Jaylyons1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
If we're assuming that they used the OEM 86 springs, and if these suspension rates are correct, then the BRZ's rear should kick out more than the 86's.

Spring rates: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8739
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
Achpoques

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I don't mind the subaru stock radio - yea, it's slow, but functional and has the features there.
Achpoques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:59 PM   #6
MtnDrvr86

Drives: 2002 honda civic ex
Good read, but when will they have it on the show? Jeremy had it in his worse cars special but I want to see what it does on their test track
MtnDrvr86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #7
a.beck
Doing it wrong.

Drives: BRZ
I'd guess it'll be on shortly after the show actually starts up again later this month.
a.beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #8
Khazzy

Drives: SWP Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
The reason it is flopped in the states is because Scion has the 86 badged as the FRS. I love the way the 86 looks, but I chose the BRZ because the Scion does not have HID's, no fog lights, interior to me feels cheaper, and I wanted the little extras I get with the BRZ, plus it looks great in SWP. In America the BRZ is the better model. Anywhere else the 86 and BRZ are close and it is solely going to be looks. Especially with Toyota giving the 86 the TRD packages...just saying.
Khazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Khazzy For This Useful Post:
Bg8780 (01-31-2013), Mango22 (01-30-2013), sbxjap (01-25-2013), SuperDave (01-09-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #9
that_one_guy

Drives: none
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Good article, it sounds like the Subaru stock stereo there is the same as the FR-S has here, and the 86 there get's our BRZ satnav?

I'm thinking this car won't just get a review and timed lap, I think they'll do a whole show on them both. Go to some other country to find out which of the twins is really best. They've been to US several times as well as several Asian countries. They've done the Middle East, Mediterranean, France, Germany, Switzerland and Eastern Europe. My guess is Canada, Australia, Poland or Greece.
that_one_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to that_one_guy For This Useful Post:
bkneal (01-10-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #10
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Good read! Again, too bad we get the watered-down version in the States.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Turbowned For This Useful Post:
SuperDave (01-09-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #11
Burrcold

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,586 Times in 776 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazzy View Post
The reason it is flopped in the states is because Scion has the 86 badged as the FRS. I love the way the 86 looks, but I chose the BRZ because the Scion does not have HID's, no fog lights, interior to me feels cheaper, and I wanted the little extras I get with the BRZ, plus it looks great in SWP. In America the BRZ is the better model. Anywhere else the 86 and BRZ are close and it is solely going to be looks. Especially with Toyota giving the 86 the TRD packages...just saying.
Flopped in the US? Huh?
Old 01-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #12
rusty959

Drives: DGM BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Agreed. If I wasn't in the US Id probably go with the gt86, but in 'Murica the extra features of the BRZ compared to the base FRS wins out, especially in limited trim.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #13
Jedi1
STX build in progress!

Drives: Whiteout FRS. Just Gorgeous!
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Don't agree with the flopped arguement at all, but that's why it is a good thing we have two choices. If alcantara inserts and HID's are your thing, wonderful. I prefer to save that money and drop it on decent tires, exhaust, suspension and the other things needed to create a RTR Autocross beast.

Personal preference only makes one better than the other in eyes of the individual evaluating the car.
Jedi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #14
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
The reason it is flopped in the states is because Scion has the 86 badged as the FRS.
Invalid

Quote:
I love the way the 86 looks, but I chose the BRZ because the Scion does not have HID's, no fog lights, interior to me feels cheaper, and I wanted the little extras I get with the BRZ, plus it looks great in SWP. In America the BRZ is the better model. Anywhere else the 86 and BRZ are close and it is solely going to be looks. Especially with Toyota giving the 86 the TRD packages...just saying.
Valid, but only due to subjectivity.