follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 10-22-2012, 11:38 PM   #211
20valvewynn83

Drives: 2013 FRS/01 Tacoma
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
not too knowledgeable in this area of tuning coming from an OBD1 car with distributor but has anyone tried to tune this car with an AEM FIC8

20valvewynn83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:16 AM   #212
brn12345

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Was more fun when people like Tephra were around
brn12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #213
D-VO

Drives: Whiteout FR-S, Evo 8 RS
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Maybe he'll join in on the fun if we mention him enough. Tephra please save us! I can't remember anybody else from the Evo forums right now that's awesome with disassembly.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:28 PM   #214
S1000rr

Drives: Silver
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
subscribed.
S1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #215
eljefe

Drives: SS BRZ LMTD 6MT, 92 Civic hatch RHD
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1000rr View Post
subscribed.
ditto. I can't wait for an open tuning solution. I'm all for getting my car dyno tuned by a reputable tuner, but i need to know that i can adjust my map or my parameters when i see fit.

I'm spoiled by my s300 in my hatch. electronic adjustable boost control with boost by gear, the ability to save, load, and edit an unlimited number of profiles at will, changing any of parameters on the fly. I even mounted a touchscreen vga monitor in my dash so i can run a live display of all my sensor data instead of having ugly boost and temp gauges.

Hopefully one day we can do this to these cars as well.
eljefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #216
Visconti
Banned

Drives: 05 STi
Thanked 3,188 Times in 1,197 Posts
Mentioned: 375 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Visconti
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefe View Post
ditto. I can't wait for an open tuning solution. I'm all for getting my car dyno tuned by a reputable tuner, but i need to know that i can adjust my map or my parameters when i see fit.

I'm spoiled by my s300 in my hatch. electronic adjustable boost control with boost by gear, the ability to save, load, and edit an unlimited number of profiles at will, changing any of parameters on the fly. I even mounted a touchscreen vga monitor in my dash so i can run a live display of all my sensor data instead of having ugly boost and temp gauges.

Hopefully one day we can do this to these cars as well.
It can be done but no one wants to do it for free aka open source
Visconti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #217
eljefe

Drives: SS BRZ LMTD 6MT, 92 Civic hatch RHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
Right, which is understandable. I had to pay 800 or so dollars for my s300 hardware. The software is freely downloadable and basemaps are freely shareable, which is awesome. But you gotta pay to play.

If i drop a grand on a solution, i want full ability to modify it as i see fit. all of the parameters, and the maps. It doesnt mean im not going to happily pay for the tuning solution and for a dyno tune.
eljefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:06 PM   #218
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-VO View Post
it was tuned with closed source programming)
ECUTEK...
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #219
Visconti
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefe View Post
Right, which is understandable. I had to pay 800 or so dollars for my s300 hardware. The software is freely downloadable and basemaps are freely shareable, which is awesome. But you gotta pay to play.

If i drop a grand on a solution, i want full ability to modify it as i see fit. all of the parameters, and the maps. It doesnt mean im not going to happily pay for the tuning solution and for a dyno tune.
Ill bring it up in my meeting next week
Old 01-04-2013, 03:26 PM   #220
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-VO View Post
So are you gonna tell us how you did it? (Here's the part where you say it was tuned with closed source programming)
it was tuned with closed source programming..but fwiw, imho, as a guy who really likes driving, the changes made by tuning are worth the coin, I cant speak for the smaller vendors, but the master tuners DO know what they are doing from my conversations with ecutek, my advice is go Perrin or go Visconti, both masters in their area of expertise, there is no chance either is a 2nd best shop.

both guys seem to gave mad street props and really for under a grand, there isnt a better way to spend your money, besides adding a drop in filter, its a joy over OE. Heck, what perrin did to my accelerator pedal alone is worth tuning alone, power aside. raising idle, intake and exhaust timing changes, hot map switching, rev limited launches will open source do all that?

adding a intake, exhuast anything else is futile without a tune. total waste, if you ask me. I cant see holding my breath for open source to happen, it hasnt and I dont want to tune it myself at home without a dyno. silly.

Then again, I have flashed my ecu a few dozen times as a tester, as have a bunch of other guys to get us to a place where we actually have safe, reliable, tunes that are well worth the money from either vendor, this enhances the factory setup, stuff like valet mode, blip shift, the ability to datalog, its all kudos, if you want to unlock and enjoy the cars potential

its clearly dialed back in every way in its retail garb

trying to get what ecutek developed for free is as likely as you building a racecar from the ground up, its diminishing returns. Mervin and crew at ecutek have our car, they went and bought it for business, use, to make it better

tough to beat that in open source land

and so ecutek have made a patron outta me, having shipped my ecu to them in UK and worked thru the teething pains for this platform, I am a firm believer that the platform is sound, the powertain is solid enough that if you want to play, it feels safe to tune this thing.
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:26 AM   #221
Silverpike
popular among the JDM

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
Bullshit!
Plenty of people participate in the RomRaider project, which is free to end users. RomRaider is one of the most successful open source ECU projects, with a huge install base and very easy to use software.

The only thing hurting the BRZ right now is the low user base. There are ongoing efforts to dump the ECU, and it won't be long before the first basemaps are possible.
Silverpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:56 AM   #222
Visconti
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverpike View Post
Bullshit!
Plenty of people participate in the RomRaider project, which is free to end users. RomRaider is one of the most successful open source ECU projects, with a huge install base and very easy to use software.

The only thing hurting the BRZ right now is the low user base. There are ongoing efforts to dump the ECU, and it won't be long before the first basemaps are possible.
User base ? Lol no

How do you think "open source" happened , do you think a team of guys came together and did free work?

Ecutek was hacked , then ecuflash a company that gave away free software as so long you bought they're cable came around. How ecuflash came around and was funded is a entire different story. Anyways ecuflash comes out with Ecu defs that were identical to ecuteks.. Sooo strange.

Then some guys who to this day still don't understand Ecu flashing continue to build Ecu definitions... All by the way are based on stuff that was already stolen. Yes a lot of great stuff has been done for free but none of it could have been done if stolen stuff wasn't put in their hands

All the handwork was done and stolen

So show me someone that knows how to figure out Ecu communication do the work and give it all to you for free with nothing to gain......

Trust me I already know someone that can build this software and write custom code and has nothing todo with ecutek.. But he wants $$$

Actually know a second guy that already knows how the Ecu communicates and flashes ..but he's .involved with making dealer tools so go figure.

I would love to see some guys come together and do something for FREE but everyone is waiting around for a handout.

Options and competition are good for keeping pricing and feature advancements in check.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Visconti For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (01-05-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 05:05 AM   #223
JP
Backyard Fabricator

Drives: JZX83, SF5 GT, ZZE82 turbo
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
I'd pay a couple of grand for a solution that allows me to tune the stock ECU myself, I spend more than that on the standalone hardware in my other cars before dyno rental... The price Australian EcuTek dealers charge for basic email tunes is very high, close to double the US prices.
JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:13 AM   #224
ft_sjo
Banned

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
I'm sure PnP ECU's will eventually come out, from the likes of top companies like Life Racing (who make the Solaris/Syvecs PnP ECU's for Imprezas)..
ft_sjo is offline   Reply With Quote