follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 07-21-2013, 01:08 PM   #1
Alfalasy
2013 BRZ

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
DashCommand, PLX Kiwi 2 WiFi & Pioneer AppRadio

http://www.palmerperformance.com/pro...hone/index.php

I use the Pioneer head unit with AppRadio connected to my iPhone 5 which is connected to Bluetooth for hands free so I should select the WiFi options. Although they have confirmed that Any one of the three will work just fine with my AppRadio and hands free calling. None of them will see oil pressure, they said oil pressure is not an OBD-II generic PID. PLX Kiwi 2 Wifi supports PLX iMFD aftermarket sensors.
Attached Images

Last edited by Alfalasy; 07-31-2013 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Changed title
Alfalasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
Alfalasy
2013 BRZ

Update:

I decided to take the plunge and I ordered PLX Kiwi 2 WiFi which I connected to my OBD-II connector to use it with DashCommand App. The great thing that it connects with my iPhone and my Pioneer head unit AppRadio.

Every time you start the car you have to start PLX manually because it goes into sleep mode, then you have to reconnect the iPhone via WiFi settings, I'm not sure why it doesn't find and connect automatically to PLX but I will try to dig into this further.

When it is running, if you switch to music player and switch back again, you will have to reconnect every time from the DashCommand menu. If you get a phone call you will also have to reconnect every time. Also noticed that it will make App Radio slower to respond.

The software is very useful but doesn't integrate very well into the AppRadio and the iPhone, also the PLX WiFi doesn't start automatically when you start the car and the iPhone doesn't search and connect to the network automatically. It is a hassle every time you have to connect the network then connect the App.

With these issues I don't this that DashCommand can replace gauges, just complement them, you don't have a permanent connection and that's the main issue to me. If you have some ideas please share.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alfalasy For This Useful Post:
TIE Pilot (08-12-2013)
Old 07-31-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfalasy View Post
Update:

I decided to take the plunge and I ordered PLX Kiwi 2 WiFi which I connected to my OBD-II connector to use it with DashCommand App. The great thing that it connects with my iPhone and my Pioneer head unit AppRadio.

Every time you start the car you have to start PLX manually because it goes into sleep mode, then you have to reconnect the iPhone via WiFi settings, I'm not sure why it doesn't find and connect automatically to PLX but I will try to dig into this further.

When it is running, if you switch to music player and switch back again, you will have to reconnect every time from the DashCommand menu. If you get a phone call you will also have to reconnect every time. Also noticed that it will make App Radio slower to respond.

The software is very useful but doesn't integrate very well into the AppRadio and the iPhone, also the PLX WiFi doesn't start automatically when you start the car and the iPhone doesn't search and connect to the network automatically. It is a hassle every time you have to connect the network then connect the App.

With these issues I don't this that DashCommand can replace gauges, just complement them, you don't have a permanent connection and that's the main issue to me. If you have some ideas please share.
It works pretty good on my AVH-X5500BHS, doesn't slow it down at all. I know Palmer Performance is working on adding the custom PIDs for oil temp and the like. It may help if you were to post in this thread on their forum. The more requests they get for it, the faster it will be added. http://www.palmerperformance.com/for...?topic=6351.30

I was not pleased with the quality of PLX wifi adapter though. The build qualitty is poor, the cable sleeve that goes into PLX wifi itself has started to come out. I'll likely order their bluetooth one next time around. That being said, I'm not having the same manual connection issue as you. My iPhone (5) will automatically connect to it as long as I press the button on the PLX wifi to wake it up.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:13 AM   #4
RandomHero
SW5 Driver

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
It works pretty good on my AVH-X5500BHS, doesn't slow it down at all. I know Palmer Performance is working on adding the custom PIDs for oil temp and the like. It may help if you were to post in this thread on their forum. The more requests they get for it, the faster it will be added. http://www.palmerperformance.com/for...?topic=6351.30

I was not pleased with the quality of PLX wifi adapter though. The build qualitty is poor, the cable sleeve that goes into PLX wifi itself has started to come out. I'll likely order their bluetooth one next time around. That being said, I'm not having the same manual connection issue as you. My iPhone (5) will automatically connect to it as long as I press the button on the PLX wifi to wake it up.
Just keep in mind that Apple does not support (without jailbreak) the proper Bluetooth protocols to use a bluetooth OBD2 dongle. If your phone isnt jailbroken you wont get the blutooth dongle to work.
RandomHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomHero View Post
Just keep in mind that Apple does not support (without jailbreak) the proper Bluetooth protocols to use a bluetooth OBD2 dongle. If your phone isnt jailbroken you wont get the blutooth dongle to work.
They have a couple that are iOS certified (GoPoint BT1 and BT1a) and will work without jailbreak.

They also offer a different style of WiFi adapter (OBDKey WLAN) that does DHCP instead of you having to configure a static address.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:07 AM   #6
Alfalasy
2013 BRZ

Quote:
It works pretty good on my AVH-X5500BHS, doesn't slow it down at all. I know Palmer Performance is working on adding the custom PIDs for oil temp and the like. It may help if you were to post in this thread on their forum. The more requests they get for it, the faster it will be added. http://www.palmerperformance.com oru...?topic=6351.30

I'm using the pioneer AVH-X8550BT connected to my iPhone 5 using the CD-IH202 and lighting Digital AV adapter. You are correct I didn't turn ON auto join it was a foolish mistake, so it's On and I set Dashcommand to auto connect on startup, works better now, but I still have to wake up the PLX adapter which is not an issue, the only thing that it will not auto connect when I switch Apps on AppRadio, I find this annoying because I want to use other apps such as Internet radio or change music on the player without losing connection to dashcommand.

Thanks for posting the link I have already added my request.

I would like to ask you a question regarding using the CarMediaPlay App on AppRadio. Dose it stream music from iPhone using bluetooth or does it use the USB connection? I'm concerned because of quality, my doubts came from the required BT connection to access AppRadio every time you connect it to the adapter
Old 08-12-2013, 07:35 AM   #7
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfalasy View Post
I'm using the pioneer AVH-X8550BT connected to my iPhone 5 using the CD-IH202 and lighting Digital AV adapter. You are correct I didn't turn ON auto join it was a foolish mistake, so it's On and I set Dashcommand to auto connect on startup, works better now, but I still have to wake up the PLX adapter which is not an issue, the only thing that it will not auto connect when I switch Apps on AppRadio, I find this annoying because I want to use other apps such as Internet radio or change music on the player without losing connection to dashcommand.

Thanks for posting the link I have already added my request.

I would like to ask you a question regarding using the CarMediaPlay App on AppRadio. Dose it stream music from iPhone using bluetooth or does it use the USB connection? I'm concerned because of quality, my doubts came from the required BT connection to access AppRadio every time you connect it to the adapter
I'm pretty sure Pioneer switched all AppRadio based audio over to BT with the iPhone 5 update, unfortunately.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:50 AM   #8
Alfalasy
2013 BRZ

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Pioneer switched all AppRadio based audio over to BT with the iPhone 5 update, unfortunately.
I checked with Pioneer to confirm this. AppRadio sets the system up to control iPhone via BT while using HDMI for video and audio, because the lightning AV adaptor does not provide AppRadio with a USB data connection. The lightning port on the AV adaptor is solely for power. The audio output from AppRadio is digital via HDMI not BT.

My OBD Kiwi adapter doesn't work it got broken after I used it during a track day because it wasn't properly fixed/fastened also the phone gets disconnected from the holder whiled driving aggressively on the track. I still think fixed gauges are better for me. Even though I won't be looking at them all the time but having them displaying info uninterrupted is important.