follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-28-2018, 06:24 PM   #99
rusty959

Drives: DGM BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Rusty, what did you do with the sprockets you removed?
Nothing other than take them out. I bought a new intake sprocket, came in yesterday, but I'm now out of town until Friday. Since I have a new one I'll probably further take my old one apart and see if there is anything else of note wrong with it. I expect I'll have it back together in about 2 weeks, at which point I'm 98% sure the code will come back, at which time I'll decide if I want to get a new ECU or try disabling the code.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:21 PM   #100
TheStig85

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty959 View Post
To see if your timing is off you would have to remove the cover, but if that happened your sprockets would have been incredibly damaged or some freak case that I can't imagine. Probably not the issue.

I drained my oil before pulling the cover, and once I did that I didn't have very much drain. Throw a pan or some kitty litter below and call it good.

No idea on the shim, if it were me I'd probably make my own.

You already swapped ECU's? Any chance you swapped in a broken one?

I wouldn't count completely out the chance of sprocket being damaged just because it drives fine. If it really is this spring plate thing I can image it being broken just enough that the ecu can correct enough to make it not noticeable for the most part.
It was a brand new ECU from Subaru. Even made sure it was the updated part No.

My only guess is changing the oil (it's due) and the shims on the sensor. I'm at a loss otherwise.
TheStig85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:48 PM   #101
rusty959

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig85 View Post
It was a brand new ECU from Subaru. Even made sure it was the updated part No.

My only guess is changing the oil (it's due) and the shims on the sensor. I'm at a loss otherwise.
Your sprocket hasn't been out, correct? could still be a damaged sprocket.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:48 PM   #102
TheStig85

Garage
Quote:
Your sprocket hasn't been out, correct? could still be a damaged sprocket.
Not yet, but the car is running smooth. If the timing skipped or a damaged sprocket, I'd imagine the car would be running very rough.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:11 PM   #103
rusty959

Quote:
Not yet, but the car is running smooth. If the timing skipped or a damaged sprocket, I'd imagine the car would be running very rough.
Lets make sure we are imaging the same thing when we say "damaged sprocket". The damage that typically happens to them is a little plate on the back that limits oil flowing out of the sprocket pops off, shown in some of the pictures of mine. This means the car has a harder, but not completely impossible time controlling the VVT.

My car in stock form also ran fine. I noticed some issues around idle with my turbo tune, but they came and went, sometimes it would be fine for weeks. If it weren't for the CEL popping up I likely would have never faulted anything on the car once I went back to stock.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:14 PM   #104
TheStig85

Garage
Quote:
Lets make sure we are imaging the same thing when we say "damaged sprocket". The damage that typically happens to them is a little plate on the back that limits oil flowing out of the sprocket pops off, shown in some of the pictures of mine. This means the car has a harder, but not completely impossible time controlling the VVT.

My car in stock form also ran fine. I noticed some issues around idle with my turbo tune, but they came and went, sometimes it would be fine for weeks. If it weren't for the CEL popping up I likely would have never faulted anything on the car once I went back to stock.
I saw the photos. Is that something that's visible without removing the valve cover though? I have one of those snake cameras that I could use if needed to inspect it. Edit: After looking at the photos more closely... I'm doubting it. Probably have to pull it.

CEL or not, my car has run smooth for as long as I've remembered.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:42 PM   #105
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,521 Times in 18,922 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Nothing other than take them out. I bought a new intake sprocket, came in yesterday, but I'm now out of town until Friday. Since I have a new one I'll probably further take my old one apart and see if there is anything else of note wrong with it. I expect I'll have it back together in about 2 weeks, at which point I'm 98% sure the code will come back, at which time I'll decide if I want to get a new ECU or try disabling the code.
I've seen some hydraulic diagrams and I've been itching to dig into an actual sprocket. Now that you've pointed out the lack of a check valve in the exhaust sprocket, I'm even more curious to see how they compare.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:03 PM   #106
rusty959

Quote:
I saw the photos. Is that something that's visible without removing the valve cover though? I have one of those snake cameras that I could use if needed to inspect it. Edit: After looking at the photos more closely... I'm doubting it. Probably have to pull it.

CEL or not, my car has run smooth for as long as I've remembered.
Not only do you have to pull the timing cover, you have to remove the timing chain and the 3 torx bolts and pull the sprocket off. The plate sits against the end of the cam.

Quote:
I've seen some hydraulic diagrams and I've been itching to dig into an actual sprocket. Now that you've pointed out the lack of a check valve in the exhaust sprocket, I'm even more curious to see how they compare.
Mind to share the diagrams? I'll probably take apart the intake vvt but unless I'm 100% I won't mess it up I won't be taking apart the exhaust. Regardless I can document the intake if you are interested in seeing inside.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:34 PM   #107
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Mind to share the diagrams? I'll probably take apart the intake vvt but unless I'm 100% I won't mess it up I won't be taking apart the exhaust. Regardless I can document the intake if you are interested in seeing inside.
Sure! Here's where @mad_sb posted it.

I'd love to see pics if you get around to it.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:32 PM   #108
rusty959

If anyone is lazy like me, I compiled the o ring's and oil seal part numbers that should be replaced while the timing cover is off. Sometimes I don't replace things like this because they shouldn't leak but I really don't want to have to pull the cover back off if they do. I'm not going to worry about the ocv ones because it will be obvious if they leak and easy to replace if they do. (and I'm lazy)

806912190 x3 o ring $1.26 https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_20...806912190.html
806924120 x1 o ring $1.88 https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_20...806924120.html
806750080 x1 timing cover oil seal $14.57 https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_20...806750080.html

Not confirmed:
806916080 x1 https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_20...806916080.html o ring for driver's timing chain tensioner. Passenger side doesn't use one. Looks like there is a different part number if you have a super early '12 build date.

Last edited by rusty959; 03-09-2018 at 10:55 PM.
rusty959 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rusty959 For This Useful Post:
ApexEight (01-30-2018), TheStig85 (01-29-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 11:06 PM   #109
Jamestl

Drives: None
Well... the nice little code came back today while I was driving for an ice driving event. I just kept on resetting the damn code throughout the day, but otherwise no perceptible with the engine running. Seems like others are having no better luck. Part of me is wondering if this is related to weather?

Anyway I will swap a few more parts and maybe the ECU before springing for a a cam sprocket. Freakin job is like 10% of the cars value... :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVRSRFR View Post
You are one of the few lucky ones where it may have ACTUALLY just been a bad sensor.

Count your blessings!! lol

Jamestl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jamestl For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (02-03-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 12:25 AM   #110
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamestl View Post
Anyway I will swap a few more parts and maybe the ECU before springing for a a cam sprocket. Freakin job is like 10% of the cars value... :/
I think that the jammed or leaking sprocket is what causes the ECU to fail by permanently setting some learned trim table to a maximum value which cannot be reset.

That's how I understand the reasoning behind the need to replace the ECU. It is the second part of a cascade failure. It makes enough sense to me that I would consider replacing the ECU only if the issue is not resolved by first replacing the sprocket.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:09 AM   #111
Jamestl

Drives: None
The thing that pisses me off is that you don’t actually know whether sprocket has failed. If I just reset the ECU everything worked as before - I noticed zero change. I’m almost tempted to get a new ECU before I change the sprocket given the cost differential. Sigh...

Quote:
I think that the jammed or leaking sprocket is what causes the ECU to fail by permanently setting some learned trim table to a maximum value which cannot be reset.

That's how I understand the reasoning behind the need to replace the ECU. It is the second part of a cascade failure. It makes enough sense to me that I would consider replacing the ECU only if the issue is not resolved by first replacing the sprocket.
Jamestl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jamestl For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (02-04-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 10:41 AM   #112
ApexEight

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT SSM
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamestl View Post
The thing that pisses me off is that you don’t actually know whether sprocket has failed. If I just reset the ECU everything worked as before - I noticed zero change. I’m almost tempted to get a new ECU before I change the sprocket given the cost differential. Sigh...
That's exactly what I did and the ECU swap alone got rid of my CEL. It's been about 3 weeks now.
ApexEight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApexEight For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (02-04-2018)