follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
FT86 Motorsports
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
GeekB
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Location: OC
Posts: 28
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Shortblock Replacement

Some info on my car before I tell you guys about my issue. My car has a little under 11k miles on it and I had installed the AVO turbo kit around 8500 miles. I was driving fine until one night my car started chugging and then just stalled. Turns out I had the rough idling/stalling issue and there was a service bulletin for it.

Found faults P000B and P000A, right intake and exhaust camshaft position.
Switched OCV'S on intake and exhaust from bank 1 to 2.
Problem stayed on bank one intake sprocket and problem moved to bank 2
exhaust. (OCV)
Right bank one intake sprocket and left exhaust (OCV) solenoid need replacement
per bulletin 02-132-12R.

I put my stock manifold back on and brought my car back for the repairs. They gave me a call yesterday and told me I needed my shortblock replaced because they found metal debris in the oil plate and that the oil was sludgy. The dealer blamed it on me "overboosting" but my kit runs at 5 psi and I had a tune as well. I did not have the kit on for that long so I'm not even sure if it was the turbo kit that did this. I can't tell if the dealer is shafting me and trying to make me pay for a new shortblock.
GeekB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
feldy
Senior Member
 
feldy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Drives: 2013 FRS Asphalt
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,153
Thanks: 309
Thanked 334 Times in 211 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The Turbo kit plus tune voided that warranty. I don't see them fixing this out of there pocket. Good luck though.

as they say gotta pay to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekB View Post
Some info on my car before I tell you guys about my issue. My car has a little under 11k miles on it and I had installed the AVO turbo kit around 8500 miles. I was driving fine until one night my car started chugging and then just stalled. Turns out I had the rough idling/stalling issue and there was a service bulletin for it.

Found faults P000B and P000A, right intake and exhaust camshaft position.
Switched OCV'S on intake and exhaust from bank 1 to 2.
Problem stayed on bank one intake sprocket and problem moved to bank 2
exhaust. (OCV)
Right bank one intake sprocket and left exhaust (OCV) solenoid need replacement
per bulletin 02-132-12R.

I put my stock manifold back on and brought my car back for the repairs. They gave me a call yesterday and told me I needed my shortblock replaced because they found metal debris in the oil plate and that the oil was sludgy. The dealer blamed it on me "overboosting" but my kit runs at 5 psi and I had a tune as well. I did not have the kit on for that long so I'm not even sure if it was the turbo kit that did this. I can't tell if the dealer is shafting me and trying to make me pay for a new shortblock.
__________________
2013 Scion FR-S AT Picked up 5/30/2012
feldy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to feldy For This Useful Post:
Rayme (01-29-2014)
Old 11-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
dehydratedH2O
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited DGM
Location: MD/DC
Posts: 80
Thanks: 6
Thanked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by feldy View Post
The Turbo kit plus tune voided that warranty. I don't see them fixing this out of there pocket. Good luck though.

as they say gotta pay to play.
there's no such thing as voiding a warranty on a car in the US. in order for Subaru to deny your warranty claim, they have to have a good reason/explanation that your modification caused the damage that you're trying to claim is covered under warranty.

unfortunately for OP, a turbo (especially if there were boost creep) is a likely cause of the problem, so the dealer is most likely justified in denying the claim. you could fight it and probably get the claim to go through, but it'll take a lot of time/effort and perhaps a lawyer. if I were you, I'd pay to play and sell off most of the parts in the old block to make up some dough.
dehydratedH2O is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dehydratedH2O For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (11-21-2013)
Old 11-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #4
jeebus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: 2015 Mustang GT (on order)
Location: San Diego
Posts: 904
Thanks: 114
Thanked 470 Times in 208 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Some mods like a catback exhaust or K&N air filter would be considered safe and a dealer (even if they tried) would have a hard time sticking you for the repairs. However, mods like a turbo kit introduce so many potential problem variables that it's understandable that a dealer wouldn't cover your engine in the event of a failure. It's unfortunate, because it's possible the turbo wasn't the cause of the problem. But you could have been running very lean, or running into knock conditions, so many possibilities.

Even with a lawyer, I don't see you winning this one.
__________________
jeebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
GeekB
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Location: OC
Posts: 28
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
They actually called me back earlier and said they would cover it under "good will" warranty. Everything sounds so fishy though and seems like they were trying to scare me into doing more work. They hardly ran any tests and straight away blamed it on the turbo. When I asked if they could pinpoint the cause of the problem the dealer wouldn't give me a straight answer.
GeekB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:05 PM   #6
rapidcars
Senior Member
 
rapidcars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ Limited
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 205
Thanks: 148
Thanked 110 Times in 58 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lots of people had this issue when they were stock. I doubt it's related to the turbo. Good luck with everything.
__________________
rapidcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #7
mike the snake
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Drives: 2013 BRZ
Location: Norcal
Posts: 1,592
Thanks: 1
Thanked 622 Times in 377 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
DOOD! Get your car in there and get it all on paper before they change their minds!

I pretty much have gathered that once a turbo kit is installed, I'll have a hard time with any kind of engine/drivetrain warranty issue, because most issues can be blamed on the modifications.

In your case though, they may be aware of a particular issue that other non FI cars are having, so they may think you'd still have a good case if they were to deny your claim.

Nice dealer though in any case. Good Luck!
mike the snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #8
Bad Habits
Senior Member
 
Bad Habits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Drives: br zed
Location: Nc
Posts: 234
Thanks: 199
Thanked 115 Times in 64 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Why did you put the stock manifold back on? So they knew it was boosted and told you they would not cover it but are now saying they will?

I agree, get it in there and get them to fix it because they sound pretty bipolar. Thats a hell of a 180, nope you blew your car up and we don't have to fix it to ok we will "good faith" replace an entire short block and all the related internals that might need to be replaced as well.
Bad Habits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #9
jeebus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: 2015 Mustang GT (on order)
Location: San Diego
Posts: 904
Thanks: 114
Thanked 470 Times in 208 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekB View Post
They actually called me back earlier and said they would cover it under "good will" warranty. Everything sounds so fishy though and seems like they were trying to scare me into doing more work. They hardly ran any tests and straight away blamed it on the turbo. When I asked if they could pinpoint the cause of the problem the dealer wouldn't give me a straight answer.
that's awesome. shady or not, you're lucky to get work done to the motor of a boosted car.
__________________
jeebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #10
Braces
Senior Member
 
Braces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 986
Thanks: 564
Thanked 706 Times in 363 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
You are lucky. Go buy a lottery ticket.
Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #11
mav1178
Senior Member
 
mav1178's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Location: 91745
Posts: 6,053
Thanks: 478
Thanked 5,460 Times in 2,737 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekB View Post
I can't tell if the dealer is shafting me and trying to make me pay for a new shortblock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekB View Post
They actually called me back earlier and said they would cover it under "good will" warranty.
I think it's safe to say that your dealer is most certainly not shafting you by giving you a new block under warranty coverage.

Go buy a lottery ticket and if you win, buy the guys at CSG a new block.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #12
strat61caster
Thread Killer
 
strat61caster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Drives: '13 FRS
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 8,497
Thanks: 11,571
Thanked 7,654 Times in 3,986 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Just because you take the good will doesn't mean you won't be covered in the future, barring of course the possibility that your mods cause problems which you will be on your own to fix.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
ineedyourdiddly
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #13
utekineir
blowhard
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Drives: frs, project forester
Location: ma
Posts: 980
Thanks: 53
Thanked 604 Times in 316 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Awesome that they are covering you. They have every right not to.


utekineir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:01 PM   #14
GeekB
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Location: OC
Posts: 28
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Habits View Post
Why did you put the stock manifold back on? So they knew it was boosted and told you they would not cover it but are now saying they will?

I agree, get it in there and get them to fix it because they sound pretty bipolar. Thats a hell of a 180, nope you blew your car up and we don't have to fix it to ok we will "good faith" replace an entire short block and all the related internals that might need to be replaced as well.
I had taken it in initially when the turbo kit was still on. I should have just taken it off before bringing it in, but they told me to just remove it since it was blocking the way for the work that needed to be done for the rough idling issue and they would cover it under warranty. So I did, then they tell me since my car was modified they might not cover the work. I don't know what's going on cause they keep going back and forth, but I'm glad they're going to do it for me. I just hope everything will be good once it's all done, my car has been out of commission for about 3 months now.
GeekB is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Early proposal: FA20 with a FB25 shortblock, .5l more displacement anyone? Kostamojen Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 87 04-23-2014 09:54 AM
WTB FA20 Longblock / Shortblock nelsmar Engine, Exhaust, Bolt-Ons 32 11-27-2013 10:10 AM
Forged Shortblock Tansey86 Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 35 03-13-2013 07:46 PM
Subaru BRZ 2.0L Shortblock JPxM0Dz Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 7 12-16-2012 04:26 PM
FA20 Shortblock Ishii Motors Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 16 08-04-2012 09:28 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.