follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-27-2016, 06:17 PM   #673
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
I just want to say... I'm a very happy man! This was pretty much exactly what I wanted with the refresh! Better mid-range torque, a little more power/torque, shorter gear ratios, improved looks (over the previous BRZ IMO), new LED's with updated fog lights, and still has red stitching (unlike the new Toyota) and RED BREMBO BRAKES! I was sooo wanting some red Brembos with my new car but I knew the chances were slim to none on anything outside of a super special edition (which would be too limited in other ways or expensive) but they actually did it!

I just hope that they make the performance package in red! Way to go Subaru! You earned my business!

BTW, I heard you guys talking about a new intake. Does someone have a picture or where did this info come from? Sorry, I've been off these forums for a few days, and can't seem to find it...
One of us~! You gonna keep your eclipse around?
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chaoskaze For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (05-27-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 06:59 PM   #674
Oxyg3n

Drives: 2017 BRZ - WRB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I just want to say... I'm a very happy man! This was pretty much exactly what I wanted with the refresh! Better mid-range torque, a little more power/torque, shorter gear ratios, improved looks (over the previous BRZ IMO), new LED's with updated fog lights, and still has red stitching (unlike the new Toyota) and RED BREMBO BRAKES! I was sooo wanting some red Brembos with my new car but I knew the chances were slim to none on anything outside of a super special edition (which would be too limited in other ways or expensive) but they actually did it!

I just hope that they make the performance package in red! Way to go Subaru! You earned my business!

BTW, I heard you guys talking about a new intake. Does someone have a picture or where did this info come from? Sorry, I've been off these forums for a few days, and can't seem to find it...
Thank you! Finally someone that actually is 100% happy about the refresh. When the leak came out, all I thought was going to change were the bumpers and new tach/steering wheel and just that made me willing to wait an extra 6 months for the car. But subaru really exceeded my expectations with all the extra upgrades on the facelift. Not sure why there are still so many people that are unhappy. It's a no brainer for me when it comes to choosing the 2017 or the 2016.
Oxyg3n is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oxyg3n For This Useful Post:
Bristecom (05-27-2016), raven1231 (05-27-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 07:09 PM   #675
GeorgeJFrick

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited LR
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'm planning my trade in, yo. I'd love to be smart this time and wait for used, but if I can get my hands on a yellow with a track package it's all over for my budget. Not going red this time; if I can't get yellow I want that Subie blue.

I'm overall really happy with the refresh. I'm wondering if track mode is the pedal dance or something in between pedal dance and the 5 second hold. I wouldn't mind either way.

But for fucks sake, can they just fix the stereo? Maybe something not so 1996, more 2016? You know, with bluetooth that actually works?

That spoiler. Dem Brembos.
GeorgeJFrick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeorgeJFrick For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (05-28-2016), raven1231 (05-27-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 07:13 PM   #676
Oxyg3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeJFrick View Post
I'm planning my trade in, yo. I'd love to be smart this time and wait for used, but if I can get my hands on a yellow with a track package it's all over for my budget. Not going red this time; if I can't get yellow I want that Subie blue.

I'm overall really happy with the refresh. I'm wondering if track mode is the pedal dance or something in between pedal dance and the 5 second hold. I wouldn't mind either way.

But for fucks sake, can they just fix the stereo? Maybe something not so 1996, more 2016? You know, with bluetooth that actually works?

That spoiler. Dem Brembos.
If you don't mind me asking, what's wrong with the stereo? Is it just a bluetooth connectivity issue everyone is mentioning? I do notice that they made the head unit and its surrounding glossy for 2017 and that just looks weird.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:18 PM   #677
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
Not really. The g force indicator will require accelerometers, which will be located somewhere in the car, but probably not in the gauge cluster. The digital fuel display will be receiving a completely different signal than the current analog display, which receives a signal that simply tells it to reorient the needle. The digital speedo signal is probably rolled in with fuel signal if they're on the same display. The analog tach is probably still the same, analog speedo is probably still the same, and the various warning indicators are probably still the same. So you'll need the accelerometers, whatever is sending the speed/fuel information (probably the ECU), and the new wiring harness.
1) Accelerometers are already part of the car (anyone with an openflash tablet knows this), and is used by the stability control system.

2) Dash is it's own computer as it's canbus. There is a remote possibility that it would work on the older cars, but the security issue would be the hard part (hard to explain, but mess with any of the computers in a modern car and it's not starting.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
I find it hilarious that nobody ever talks about the compatibility of chassis control systems whenever just literally swapping another set of components onto the car.

It's bigger and it's red so it must be better!!!

Whenever I buy something I want to make sure it's written somewhere by the manufacturer that the kit is actually compatible with my particular model year and chassis code.

It's. The. Same. Chassis.

This is a minor facelift and the brakes and suspension are likely tS parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro_Ja View Post
The 86/FRS switched from Showa to Sachs shocks starting in 2015. Did the BRZ not receive the same update? Or are these differently valved Sachs dampers than the factory ones?
Dunno on brand, but yes they were revalved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
Why would people even want the new chassis control software on our older cars, it wasn't tuned for it. Same goes for the brakes.

Better to go aftermarket for something that was purposefully designed for our older cars.

Do the pedal dance then you would have the best control.
Yet again, SAME CHASSIS. They've gone out of their way to make revision parts bolt on upgrades for the older cars for a reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
The S2000 never had a power increase
The Miata never had a power increase in generation
The RX8 never had a power increase
The MR2 never had a power increase in generation
The Integra Type R never had a power increase in generation
The Prelude never had a power increase in generation

Yet most of you guys thought another N/A Japanese sports coupe would change? And if some of them did have a change it was never more than 10-30hp which would be most times barely noticeable.
I do hope you're trolling with that list...

Quote:

Only thing I'm not terribly happy about is the shorter gearing. I'd expect it to impact MPG and make the car more buzzy on the highway. It's also likely going to make it a solid 3rd gear requirement to get to 60MPH, but we don't know that yet.

That and of course the thought of possibly taking the depreciation hit and upgrading...
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Poodles For This Useful Post:
WolfpackS2k (06-01-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 07:20 PM   #678
GeorgeJFrick

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxyg3n View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what's wrong with the stereo? Is it just a bluetooth connectivity issue everyone is mentioning? I do notice that they made the head unit and its surrounding glossy for 2017 and that just looks weird.
I have literally punched the current stereo. Audio level randomly changes, FM reception is random. One day I can get station X perfect and the next day it's like I'm in the middle of nowhere.

Bluetooth. I have tried everything, it's just shit. I have crap dollar store blue tooth speakers that stay connected better.

GPS routing, useless.

When you make calls with it, half the time it either loses bluetooth, only does the mic, only does audio, or refuses to hang up.

Not to thread jack; I also love the stitched trim in the new model, and I even like the rims.
GeorgeJFrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:23 PM   #679
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
It's. The. Same. Chassis.

This is a minor facelift and the brakes and suspension are likely tS parts.

Dunno on brand, but yes they were revalved.

Yet again, SAME CHASSIS. They've gone out of their way to make revision parts bolt on upgrades for the older cars for a reason.

I do hope you're trolling with that list...

Only thing I'm not terribly happy about is the shorter gearing. I'd expect it to impact MPG and make the car more buzzy on the highway. It's also likely going to make it a solid 3rd gear requirement to get to 60MPH, but we don't know that yet.

That and of course the thought of possibly taking the depreciation hit and upgrading...
There have been STI Performance Packs in Japan in the past for the WRX STI where they are specific to certain model year ranges of the same body.

The automotive industry doesn't need to employ a shit load of automotive engineers just to work on chassis control systems like ABS, TC, EBD, VSC to rework the programming strategy if it was as simple as bolting on updated parts like ricers do on a daily basis.

Good luck!
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
Elleteeh (05-27-2016), raven1231 (05-27-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 07:24 PM   #680
Ro_Ja

Drives: TOYOTA
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
That was an option that you can order if you live in the land of rising sun. folks @ other country never get Sachs damers even if you want.
I'm not so sure about that. While, yes, they are available as upgrade items for MY13 and 14 owners, all the press releases and articles indicated that a "retuned" suspension (although, it wasn't always stated as "Sachs"-some did, some didn't) was standard starting in MY15. The update apparently covered all 86, GT86, and FRS models. No word was ever said about the BRZ. I have a feeling that these "new" Sachs shocks are the same ones the 86 got, but I am just trying to confirm.

Not that it makes any difference to me-I have an FRS and Bilsteins, lol. I'm just curious.
Ro_Ja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:25 PM   #681
Oxyg3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeJFrick View Post
I have literally punched the current stereo. Audio level randomly changes, FM reception is random. One day I can get station X perfect and the next day it's like I'm in the middle of nowhere.

Bluetooth. I have tried everything, it's just shit. I have crap dollar store blue tooth speakers that stay connected better.

GPS routing, useless.

When you make calls with it, half the time it either loses bluetooth, only does the mic, only does audio, or refuses to hang up.

Not to thread jack; I also love the stitched trim in the new model, and I even like the rims.
That sounds pretty bad. Weird cause they changed the head unit in 2016 but people still have problems with it. Hopefully the 2017 one will be fixed.

I'm excited that they might have BRZ embroidered into the seats in red though lol
Old 05-27-2016, 07:31 PM   #682
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
One of us~! You gonna keep your eclipse around?
As much as I'd like to keep it, it's just not really practical for me to do so. So I'll likely be selling it when the BRZ comes out.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:44 PM   #683
Elleteeh

Drives: '17 Subaru BRZ CWP Limited 6AT
Quote:

I'm with you on that. It's been a few years since I've been on this board, and now with the '17's soon to be released; I shall be putting my preorder down as soon as the system opens up. I left the BRZ for a '15 STi so call me crazy, but I just missed BRZ. I find this car aesthetically pleasing and now even more so with the refresh, the LED head and taillights are perfect imo. I'm someone who likes to keep things stock and judging from the pictures and video so far, I'd say they gave us a car as close to the concept as much as possible since usually that's never the case.

Overall, I'd say the '17 + performance package would suffice and I would die a happy man if that was my last car...even with 2nd gen coming I think this will be as good as it gets in terms of appearances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Elleteeh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Elleteeh For This Useful Post:
Bristecom (05-27-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 08:44 PM   #684
Mim

Drives: MY11 Maxima 350st, MY15 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
So A/T shoppers basically got shafted. Why update the FD ratio on the Manual, but not the auto? Or am I misreading something here?

Also I imagine the fuel economy of the manual will take a bit of a hit with the new ratio, unless they fiddled with gearing.

Loving the update otherwise. There are enough detail changes (as a whole) for people that have an early release / first gen car to want to upgrade. Especially those that are leasing and not able to mod their car.

This fits into Tada's view that the car will evolve over time little by little, but as with the new cluster, goes against what he said earlier around people being able to retrofit future updates to earlier models...
MY15 CWP A/T BRZ | Leather heated seats | STI CAI filter, A/T leather shifter, strut brace, V-brace, draw stiffener, battery tie down, Radiator cap, Oil cap, push start button | TRD door stabilizer | YoSpeed STI console garnish | Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB + Rev-camera, TS-WX710A sub | JL speakers, Amp | TOMS' Clear Brake Lights | Cusco 4.556 FD | Driveshaft Shop aluminum shaft | Tein FlexZ, EDFC AP+GPS | Crawford BPB
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:29 PM   #685
Freude am Fahren

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited/'14 Yamaha R6
They probably figure more M/T will go to enthusiasts who will appreciate the change, A/Ts will go to casual drivers.

-XXR 527 18x8.75 +35
-Nameless 2.5" OP/FP Combo (Coming soon) & Axleback
-SBD 500X (Waiting on coating to install)
-Southbend SBD500X Clutch
Freude am Fahren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:51 PM   #686
NLS8520

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

I agree with you, its a very nice refresh on the BRZ, and I also like the new performance package as well, the only thing I still do not like is the steering wheel audio controls, I do not want them. I assume an aftermarket steering wheel could fix that however.
NLS8520 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NLS8520 For This Useful Post:
Bristecom (05-27-2016)

Tags
-20hp heavy body kit, 10/10 do want, 2017, better than the 86, facelift, more drag same hp, update, would bang (gears), zaku goes to ct