follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-25-2014, 06:48 AM   #337
xxBrun0xx

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Anybody else using this with a Kartboy/TWM/whatever? Curious how stupidly short the shifts are with both. My fear would be that the shifts would be so short that it would actually be tough to get into gear with the stock knob.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:58 AM   #338
wootwoot

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxBrun0xx View Post
Anybody else using this with a Kartboy/TWM/whatever? Curious how stupidly short the shifts are with both. My fear would be that the shifts would be so short that it would actually be tough to get into gear with the stock knob.
I have been waiting for someone to try this for a while.... Guess no one is baller enough to run two short throw shifters

I may have to try it myself....
wootwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:52 AM   #339
sbxjap

Drives: '95 Honda Civic HB/'13 Subaru BRZ
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKazRacing View Post
OK Boy's and Girl's ! Derek Jenkins @ CONICELLI TOYOTA just hooked me up for $135 Shipped ! They Have 11 More !!! Just wanted to share on the Best Price Anywheres ......

I use Conicelli for my shop. Derek and Matt B are really easy to work with. That being said, I'm gonna call now... and write it off, lol. Make my shop pay for it
sbxjap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:48 AM   #340
aznatama

Drives: 2014 BRZ MT (Sold); 2006 V70R
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
FWIW, after looking at install instructions... this kit just extends the bottom lever of the stock shifter. This is generally not the greatest way to implement a quick shift since it alters the angle and reduces clearances. The "proper" way would be to ALSO move the pivot point UP so that the linkage to the transmission remains parallel to the ground and maintains the most efficient transfer of forces. I believe this is what all the other full kits accomplish, and thus include the entire assembly.

Additionally, I'm worried about the strength of the adapter piece, as it will no way be as strong as the shift lever itself. The adapter cup appears to be made from stamped sheet metal, and also looks like the weakest link, subject to the most amount of prying/rotational force. If this adapter cup thingy breaks, then you won't be able to shift. I can't see this being very ideal in a "slam into gear shift as fast as humanly possible on the track" environment...

That being said, at least it won't void warranty if anything happens...
Old 08-29-2014, 05:55 PM   #341
unsurety
aeiou

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznatama View Post
FWIW, after looking at install instructions... this kit just extends the bottom lever of the stock shifter. This is generally not the greatest way to implement a quick shift since it alters the angle and reduces clearances. The "proper" way would be to ALSO move the pivot point UP so that the linkage to the transmission remains parallel to the ground and maintains the most efficient transfer of forces. I believe this is what all the other full kits accomplish, and thus include the entire assembly.

Additionally, I'm worried about the strength of the adapter piece, as it will no way be as strong as the shift lever itself. The adapter cup appears to be made from stamped sheet metal, and also looks like the weakest link, subject to the most amount of prying/rotational force. If this adapter cup thingy breaks, then you won't be able to shift. I can't see this being very ideal in a "slam into gear shift as fast as humanly possible on the track" environment...

I'm pretty sure our control arms are stamped steel. I am not too worried about that shift lever being stamped steel.

I only went to two track days, but I've taken it on several canyon runs too. I wasn't taking it easy, but no issues yet. There are more fragile parts in the shifter assembly.

Also, no rattles with the TRD. YMMV with the other units.
For that price anyone could get a c6z and have money for a simple heads cam package and make a bunch more power and have a superior handling car. This seems overpriced to say the least. "Have it your way" is basically offering someone a massive dildo to shove up their ass BUT they have the option of choosing the method in which it is inserted....
unsurety is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to unsurety For This Useful Post:
turbocat (09-03-2014), Xerious (08-29-2014), zoth (09-01-2014)
Old 09-02-2014, 08:46 PM   #342
KonTheory

Drives: '14 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My wife just bought this quickshifter for me as gift (best wife ever)
I love to drive and track occasionally but i wouldnt say im mechanically inclined..
is this is difficult install?
'14 Raven FRS - Toyota Badges - Helix Smoked Side Markers - K&N Drop-in - 3" Nameless Axleback 4" Mufflers - Tinted Back Windows - RCE Yellow Springs - Openflash Tablet - OLM HID Kit - Cusco strut bar - TRD Quickshifter - 17x9 Enkei RPF1's with Nitto NT05's
KonTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:10 PM   #343
xxBrun0xx

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTheory View Post
I love to drive and track occasionally but i wouldnt say im mechanically inclined..
No. It's really simple once the car is in the air.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:23 PM   #344
turbocat

Drives: 13 BRZ SSM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznatama View Post

turbocat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turbocat For This Useful Post:
aristo (09-03-2014), kosoku (09-04-2014)
Old 09-03-2014, 06:47 PM   #345
Propaganda
Diamonds & Cadillacs

Drives: '13 fr-s, 1974 911s
Have this on my car paired with a Kartboy shifter bushing and Mtec springs.

Throws are really short compared to stock, haha. I had someone shift and he thought it got caught on a gate or something and wasn't in gear. Also is reallly stiff, and when cold, it's hard to get into 1st, reverse and 2nd at times. Still running the stock knob (would only switch to the TRD one).
Propaganda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:51 PM   #346
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Pics or BS

To answer your question, install is pretty easy!
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:24 PM   #347
KonTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutter View Post
Pics or BS

To answer your question, install is pretty easy!

LOL actually she bought me the cusco strut bar and hid light kit as well,

how long is install about?

the other 2 i already installed :P
'14 Raven FRS - Toyota Badges - Helix Smoked Side Markers - K&N Drop-in - 3" Nameless Axleback 4" Mufflers - Tinted Back Windows - RCE Yellow Springs - Openflash Tablet - OLM HID Kit - Cusco strut bar - TRD Quickshifter - 17x9 Enkei RPF1's with Nitto NT05's
Old 09-03-2014, 11:05 PM   #348
KonTheory

If I rip the boot am I fucked? lol
The Following User Says Thank You to KonTheory For This Useful Post:
JohnJuan (09-04-2014)
Old 09-04-2014, 01:23 AM   #349
JohnJuan

Drives: 2013 FR-S, Hot Lava; 2012 Z1000 CBO
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
If I rip the boot am I fucked? lol
The old boot? I ripped mine, then pulled it the rest of the way off. No big loss. Install didn't suffer for it.
JohnJuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:38 AM   #350
KonTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJuan View Post
The old boot? I ripped mine, then pulled it the rest of the way off. No big loss. Install didn't suffer for it.
Lol yeah I pretty much ripped mine in half...
I am surprised how much this changed the shifting, feels amazing