follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 06-03-2011, 12:55 PM   #1
bofa

Drives: Ms. Daisy
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Next Vette speculation

Interesting read...

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/next-cor...turbo-v-8.html

I'm betting most of the muscle car purists are not going to be happy. It is interesting to note that they may still offer the big V8s as well thought.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
This is a huge paradigm shift for the entire auto industry!

I just read an article that Ford is also developing a 3 cyl engine. They got the idea from a motorcycle engine and Triumph has been building triples for a while and have been efficient.

http://automotive.speedtv.com/articl...linder-engine/

They are not going to totally jump ship but this refined version (C7) will definitely boost the Vette's image on the race track. Lets see how well American car designers will attention to detail. Absolutely world class...

Significantly, Corvette won’t abandon its more classic powertrain roots entirely. There will be several different types of engines offered for the C7, including a more classic, big-block OHV V-8 designed to appeal to traditionalists.

The engine is expected to deliver in excess of 400 horsepower, which means a specific output in the range of 125 horsepower per liter.

The engine is likely to be extremely high-revving, perhaps climbing to a near-Formula One-class 10,000 RPMs, suggested one source involved in the project.

Meanwhile, expect the interior to be much more modern than the current car’s, which GM’s global design chief Ed Welburn admits “is a disappointment.” The styling boss, a long-time Corvette fan himself, says he is personally overseeing the development of the C7 interior and promises it will be “absolutely world-class.”

GM trimmed weight and brought the sports car’s overall size down to something closer to that of a current Porsche 911
Old 06-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I've always been a big 'Vette fan and love driving anything C5 or C6, though it's one of those cars on my short list I've yet to own [along with an S2000].

The thought of a tidier Corvette instantly piques my interest, however hearing of turbocharging is a turn-off in that car. There are cars where turbos suit their character [Evo's, WRX's, obviously anything Diesel, Porsche 911], but the Corvette having been naturally aspirated for the past 57 years seems too sharp a break from tradition. I do love the idea of a smaller, higher revving V-8, but for goodness sake, don't screw it up with turbos. If they need to make it boosted, use an Eaton TVS like they do on the ZR1, just tone it down a bit so it's useful.

Here's a range I'd love to see:
Base Corvette: 3.2L V-8 naturally aspirated = 300 HP
Grand Sport Corvette: 3.2L V-8 w/small Eaton TVS = 380 HP
Corvette Z06: 6.2L V-8 naturally aspirated [tweaked LS3] = 450 HP

I don't picture the ZR1 coming back, as it's a thirsty sucker, and having over double the base car power seems ridiculous. Yes, 300 HP in a base Corvette puts it under a 370Z, but since the new Vette is likely to be smaller [and lighter, say under 3,000 pounds] the power to weight would be >10:1, not bad for "base model". Of course the Corvette will have to handle better like it does and offer a real interior vs. the Z to justify an added 10K+ price.

There's the perennial rumors that the next gen will be mid-engine. IMO this would make the car more special, but would also strip away it's traditional character. This would be a dangerously bold move for GM, and the total package would have to be amazing while not resulting in a higher price.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
MtnDrvr86

Drives: 2002 honda civic ex
These rumors come often when a new corvette is coming. Kinda like the yearly supra rumors.

I like the idea of a lower displacement, high revving corvette. And I agree turbos dont fit the car at all. 10000 rpms would be beautiful on the track but would it really be practical on the street? As long as they keep the weight down and finally have the interior that price range needs, its going to be a fantasic car.
MtnDrvr86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:27 PM   #5
Midship Runabout
formerly Dixie Normous

Drives: The ladies wild!
I have some GM training next week up in seattle, I will ask my instructors if they know anything more on this low displacemnt v8.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:45 PM   #6
Levi

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Up to date, the highest revving FI production car is the McLaren MP4-12C with redline at 8.500 RPM. That is why I love it so much, it is the first FI car I really like.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:59 PM   #7
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Hmmm about the engine, does anyone else feel like 125hp/L isn't actually that impressive at 10krpm? Naturally aspirated engines that rev that high should be able to get that figure pretty easy right? F22C and 2ZZ-GE don't rev as high but hit about 110. Maybe the turbo is a small one for low end torque, or perhaps its their lack of variable lift systems on their valves.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:18 PM   #8
MtnDrvr86

Drives: 2002 honda civic ex
http://www.h1v8.com/page/page/1562069.htm

maybe they will just use this
MtnDrvr86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:32 PM   #9
ToyotaObsession

Drives: 2008 XRunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
I've always been a big 'Vette fan and love driving anything C5 or C6, though it's one of those cars on my short list I've yet to own [along with an S2000].

The thought of a tidier Corvette instantly piques my interest, however hearing of turbocharging is a turn-off in that car. There are cars where turbos suit their character [Evo's, WRX's, obviously anything Diesel, Porsche 911], but the Corvette having been naturally aspirated for the past 57 years seems too sharp a break from tradition. I do love the idea of a smaller, higher revving V-8, but for goodness sake, don't screw it up with turbos. If they need to make it boosted, use an Eaton TVS like they do on the ZR1, just tone it down a bit so it's useful.

Here's a range I'd love to see:
Base Corvette: 3.2L V-8 naturally aspirated = 300 HP
Grand Sport Corvette: 3.2L V-8 w/small Eaton TVS = 380 HP
Corvette Z06: 6.2L V-8 naturally aspirated [tweaked LS3] = 450 HP

I don't picture the ZR1 coming back, as it's a thirsty sucker, and having over double the base car power seems ridiculous. Yes, 300 HP in a base Corvette puts it under a 370Z, but since the new Vette is likely to be smaller [and lighter, say under 3,000 pounds] the power to weight would be >10:1, not bad for "base model". Of course the Corvette will have to handle better like it does and offer a real interior vs. the Z to justify an added 10K+ price.

There's the perennial rumors that the next gen will be mid-engine. IMO this would make the car more special, but would also strip away it's traditional character. This would be a dangerously bold move for GM, and the total package would have to be amazing while not resulting in a higher price.

So.... putting a Turbo on a V-8 is a turn off and a screw up because it's a departure from tradition. But making it Midrear is "special"?

Are we talking Kentucky Cousins Special? or Cool?

I think it would be cool. But it's a much MUCH bigger departure from tradition than simply putting on Turbo.

That that I would ever buy one. I like Corvettes but I dunno. There's something about them that has lost their luster over the years. I think they have become a bit over-saturated.
“From the beginning, the concept was to put the driver back in the driver’s seat, and to eliminate computers as much as possible today. Powerful sports cars use a lot of computer technology so that anyone can drive and handle them. We decided not to go down that road.” - Tetsuya Tada
ToyotaObsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:27 PM   #10
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
there is soo much bull in this article its hard to take anything serious. long stroke, turboed, 10k rpm mid engined small displacement vette? i know its easy to give gm too much credit but i think its fair to say that they know what a corvette is. formula 1 cars are running at what now? 12k but yeah i think gm can pull it off in a street car. would be awesome though
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:42 AM   #11
bofa

Drives: Ms. Daisy
I'd be interested to see the track time comparisons on say, a smaller 400hp twin turbo and a larger N/A 700hp vette. Overall I wouldn't expect the weight difference to be too drastic but having the torque available throughout a slightly wider powerband could prove useful on certain tracks, not to mention the fuel efficiency possibilities.

I think we've only seen a slight shift to turbos in the recent decade but I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes more prevalent in the coming years either, especially if we continue to see more hybrid offerings.

I was somewhat interested in the FT-HS's possibilities. Really the CR-Z could be a lot more interesting if they would turbo the 1.5L... you'd still have the fuel economy when you want it and the umph when you decide you need it.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:29 AM   #12
ToyotaObsession

Drives: 2008 XRunner
I'm actually curious. If they came out with a Midrear Car could they still call it a Corvette? Has there ever been a Car that you could get F/R or M/R? LOL All the M/R I can think of were just that, Corvair, NSX, MR2, etc.
“From the beginning, the concept was to put the driver back in the driver’s seat, and to eliminate computers as much as possible today. Powerful sports cars use a lot of computer technology so that anyone can drive and handle them. We decided not to go down that road.” - Tetsuya Tada
ToyotaObsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:35 AM   #13
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
They've been doing mid-engined Vette concepts since the 70s...

I also have memories of one of the first 3d computer driving games I ever played, Test Drive 3, had the CERV concept in it.

Lotus-tuned twin turbo 350...

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:38 AM   #14
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
I believe nothing this article has to say

Vettes have always been a cool car to me. The C3 body style has always done it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnDrvr86 View Post
These rumors come often when a new corvette is coming. Kinda like the yearly supra rumors.

I like the idea of a lower displacement, high revving corvette. And I agree turbos dont fit the car at all. 10000 rpms would be beautiful on the track but would it really be practical on the street? As long as they keep the weight down and finally have the interior that price range needs, its going to be a fantasic car.
I feel stupid for believing the rumours everytime

Damn you FT-HS!!! 85% Ready bullshit
Mr.Jay is offline   Reply With Quote