follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List
69gtojeff, CT86, gravitylover

Old 03-20-2019, 12:30 PM   #127
Invisionthis

Drives: 2013 Silver FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Wrote this out on monday but forgot to post it!)

Vehicle Mileage: 10600
Vehicle Make: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mileage After Recall Performed: 400ish?
Symptom(s): Was getting off the freeway, and went to turn and realized my car shut off (All lights on), and wouldn’t turn back on (Lights disappeared) , but got it to start again after a couple of minutes, and died again, and happened 3 or 4 times and it was sputtering / shaking as if it was out of gas but my gage was a little above a quarter and pulled into a gas station 50 ft in front of me filled up and turned the car on, and above 2000 RPM's starts making a horrible noise. I had a recall done on it last month and thew the video of the sound up on a facebook group for local guys with the 86's and got a link here and come to find out everyone here has the same noise. Called the dealership the next day (Today) waiting for a call back. While I was writing this I decided to call them again and go with a random service rep rather then the one who helped me before, and they said to bring in the car asap and they'll take a look at it, but they don't have tow trucks.... So gotta figure out a way to get it there. (EDIT) Got the FR-S down there via trailer, and as we took it off the trailer, ripped my bumper off. This all happened at 8-9PM at night as I had to work, anyways, went and gave the dealer the key yesterday got a call in the afternoon saying that they're having a Toyota Rep come up and look at it tomorrow (Today) and we'll go from there because the short block has gone bad and a rod was thrown. Got a call from them this morning saying that if its either the dealers fault or toyotas fault that they'll fix it but if not then I'm SOL, even though they had to take apart the engine twice when I had the recall done because the tech couldn't find out where a noise was coming from, which ended up being a vacuum pump.
Failure: Yes
State: Waiting on dealership / rep
Is Dealership Offering Repair: Possibly (EDIT) Dealership just called and said they won't be able to cover it as their GM said they did everything correct, calling corporate right now and putting a case together.

Last edited by Invisionthis; 03-20-2019 at 06:14 PM.
Invisionthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:05 PM   #128
Kiyoshi.86

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Grey FR-S
Vehicle Mileage: 38000
Vehicle Make: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mileage After Recall Performed: 400ish?
Symptom(s): shaking/knocking, RPM dip, Stalling
Failure: TBD
State: BC
Is Dealership Offering Repair: I think so? Dealership is talking with Toyota corporate and they ordered an engine management part that they believe will fix the issue.
Kiyoshi.86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:43 AM   #129
hellyvin

Drives: WRB Brz
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Vehicle Mileage: 127277
Vehicle Make: Subaru BRZ
Mileage After Recall Performed: 6 miles after driving away from dealership
Symptom(s): Knocking sound coming from driver side of the engine, rough idle and car stalls out on its own, CEL flashing
State: CA
Is Dealership Offering Repair: Dealer towed the car back to dealership for troubleshooting. Under investigation if offering repair.
hellyvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:03 AM   #130
mswbrz

Drives: 2013 brz limited / galaxy blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellyvin View Post
Vehicle Mileage: 127277
Vehicle Make: Subaru BRZ
Mileage After Recall Performed: 6 miles after driving away from dealership
Symptom(s): Knocking sound coming from driver side of the engine, rough idle and car stalls out on its own, CEL flashing
State: CA
Is Dealership Offering Repair: Dealer towed the car back to dealership for troubleshooting. Under investigation if offering repair.

Where in Cali bro ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mswbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:16 PM   #131
Invisionthis

Wouldn't let me update my post for some reason, but if It does later I'll move this into my original post.
Called the corporate office and filed a report for 45 minutes, and was told I would get a phone call in the morning, which didn’t happen, so I called later in the day (yesterday) and so I explained situation to a new rep and, straight off the bat she told me that they won't do anything because it's a rebuilt title, and that's basically it, I told her that wasn't a good enough answer for me and I explained the whole situation to her (45 minutes) The whole time she didn’t even listen or care or anything along those lines so she said she'd call the customer relations from the dealer and go from there and so I decided I would call him too, because I already have all the information he’s looking for so I called him and told him about the articles and forum posts and emailed them to them the toyota lady called and told me that toyota won't be covering it and that's the end of it, to which I told her Ill be taking legal action and reporting it to the nthsa and doing all my reviews and calling my lawyer. Which she said that that’s the final answer from Toyota.
After that I decided to call the customer relations guy again, just to hear what he told her, and he told me about how the subaru engines go bad after 100,000 miles and I explained to him that if my engine was going to go bad they would’ve known when they took it apart less then a month ago, not once, but twice. And he sort of agreed with me at that point, and I told him that honestly I don’t know what else to do at this point because I feel like my only options left is to file a report with the NTHSA and go the lawyer route whether it turns into a class action lawsuit or not, He asked me to give him until tomorrow afternoon to meet with his master tech and another person, because even though he would love to have "Tony" pay for it he has to be able to prove why, and to wait until I hear from him tomorrow to move forward. So will figure out today if I’m going the legal route!
The Following User Says Thank You to Invisionthis For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 12:23 PM   #132
ybotspawn

Drives: 13 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisionthis View Post
Wouldn't let me update my post for some reason, but if It does later I'll move this into my original post.
Called the corporate office and filed a report for 45 minutes, and was told I would get a phone call in the morning, which didn’t happen, so I called later in the day (yesterday) and so I explained situation to a new rep and, straight off the bat she told me that they won't do anything because it's a rebuilt title, and that's basically it, I told her that wasn't a good enough answer for me and I explained the whole situation to her (45 minutes) The whole time she didn’t even listen or care or anything along those lines so she said she'd call the customer relations from the dealer and go from there and so I decided I would call him too, because I already have all the information he’s looking for so I called him and told him about the articles and forum posts and emailed them to them the toyota lady called and told me that toyota won't be covering it and that's the end of it, to which I told her Ill be taking legal action and reporting it to the nthsa and doing all my reviews and calling my lawyer. Which she said that that’s the final answer from Toyota.
After that I decided to call the customer relations guy again, just to hear what he told her, and he told me about how the subaru engines go bad after 100,000 miles and I explained to him that if my engine was going to go bad they would’ve known when they took it apart less then a month ago, not once, but twice. And he sort of agreed with me at that point, and I told him that honestly I don’t know what else to do at this point because I feel like my only options left is to file a report with the NTHSA and go the lawyer route whether it turns into a class action lawsuit or not, He asked me to give him until tomorrow afternoon to meet with his master tech and another person, because even though he would love to have "Tony" pay for it he has to be able to prove why, and to wait until I hear from him tomorrow to move forward. So will figure out today if I’m going the legal route!
I think the problem that will occur with a class action suit is that, in general, a class action suit is against one entity. As this forum has shown, while its a Toyota product, the entities (plural) damaging the cars are not a single entity. I suppose there could be a legal aspect to cover this caveat could exist. But as tcoat pointed out, in the grand scheme it's a small number in terms of the overall percentage. I'd wonder of a class action attorney would want to go through the effort. Finally in class action suits, rarely do the victims actually get a decent pay out. Not trying to dash your hopes, just level setting expectations.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
ybotspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ybotspawn For This Useful Post:
why? (03-23-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 12:29 PM   #133
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
You would have basically no way of knowing an engine is "going to go bad" by taking it apart. Especially doing this recall, there would be absolutely nothing to indicate a pending bottom end failure.

The only real way to catch a bottom end before it booms is to happen to drop the oil pan and see that metal before it gets noisy. Even then there isn't anything to do, metal in the engine you need a new engine.

Not saying a poor repair didn't take out your (and everyone else's engines) but that just isn't how it works. Proving that the sealant removed during the recall made it's way to the pan, clogged the pickup and starved the engine of oil pressure is tough. Especially when the shop that may have messed up is taking the engine apart. Easy to toss that sealant in the trash and pretend it wasn't there.

Something that keeps coming up... Toyota does not own the dealerships. The techs/GMs/salesmen do not work for Toyota. They work for "Bob's Toyota of Kentucky". When Toyota says they can't do anything, they're saying it isn't a warranty repair. The new springs did not fail and take out the engine.

An improper repair is on the dealer, not Toyota USA. If I break a windshield I can't replace it under warranty. If I crash a car it isn't fixed under warranty. If I perform a repair incorrectly and blow up an engine it isn't warranty. It's between you and the dealer. Cash out of their pocket to fix it. That's why they will find any way they can to screw you.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maslin For This Useful Post:
ermax (03-22-2019), fang_gt86 (03-22-2019), ybotspawn (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 12:58 PM   #134
Invisionthis

I'm actually going to run over to the dealership to take some pictures apparently it's still taken apart
The Following User Says Thank You to Invisionthis For This Useful Post:
ermax (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 01:47 PM   #135
msaikhan

Drives: frs
Quote:
I'm actually going to run over to the dealership to take some pictures apparently it's still taken apart
Yea go take pictures of oil pick up screen and timing cover, cam etc... take detailed pictures of how it was packed with sealant. Then if something is done differently than repair manual, you got a case against the dealership, not against the corp.
msaikhan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to msaikhan For This Useful Post:
ka-t_240 (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 02:21 PM   #136
trave9161991

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Asphalt
Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
“Hey, you just had my camshafts out of my engine and now I have a check engine light for camshaft adjustment” didn’t work?

Drop the car off. Pick it up when it’s fixed. Raise hell in between.
They said they didn't have the cam gears off the cam so it wasn't their fault. The service manager also didn't know how timing works on an engine and kept telling me they timed it correctly even though I gave him plenty of evidence as to why he didn't. Called toyota back and asked them how I was supposed to get anywhere with a service manager that doesn't even know what he's talking about...
trave9161991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:33 PM   #137
msaikhan

Drives: frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by trave9161991 View Post
They said they didn't have the cam gears off the cam so it wasn't their fault. The service manager also didn't know how timing works on an engine and kept telling me they timed it correctly even though I gave him plenty of evidence as to why he didn't. Called toyota back and asked them how I was supposed to get anywhere with a service manager that doesn't even know what he's talking about...

Tell him "you removed the timing chain which times the valves." Spell it out for him lol. Then go talk to the GM.
For some reason service managers just try to keep avoiding problems, instead of fixing it.
msaikhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:41 PM   #138
Invisionthis

So went and dropped off another article and asked to see the engine and it wasn’t even taken apart... asked the rep if they had even taken it apart and she told me she wasn’t sure..

(Still won't let me edit my posts)

https://imgur.com/a/gW62hVz
Old 03-22-2019, 05:03 PM   #139
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
So went and dropped off another article and asked to see the engine and it wasn’t even taken apart... asked the rep if they had even taken it apart and she told me she wasn’t sure..

(Still won't let me edit my posts)

https://imgur.com/a/gW62hVz
They didn't use TB1217H. One thing I am noticing with all the pictures is people with black packing it looks like it's broken off in sections and everyone with the correct stuff (TB1217H is gray) it seems to look all intact but just in the wrong place most of the time.

Hard to tell from this picture but it sort of looks like packing is in this oil gallery:
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 05:06 PM   #140
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
They didn't use TB1217H. One thing I am noticing with all the pictures is people with black packing it looks like it's broken off in sections and everyone with the correct stuff (TB1217H is gray) it seems to look all intact but just in the wrong place most of the time.
I noticed the same.
ybotspawn (03-25-2019)

Tags
fa20, failure, recall, spun bearing, subaru, toyota, valve spring