follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List
69gtojeff, CT86, gravitylover

Old 03-16-2019, 12:05 AM   #71
jlionking

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Similar Engine Failure in 2015 FR-S

I have a 2015 Scion FR-S that wasn't part of this recall. However, my car had a very similar engine failure last year. At the time I could not find any other cases of completely stock engines failing catastrophically under normal use. Now that so many others are having similar issues, I think this might add some credence to the possibility of dislodged sealants being the cause.

Here’s a short summary of what happened in 2018.
  • 49k miles : Oil seeping from timing chain cover. Dealer removes cover and reapplies sealant under warranty.
  • 52k miles : Oil seeping again. Dealer puts die in the oil to check where the leak is from.
  • 53k miles : Dealer finds the oil seep is still from the timing chain cover. Dealer removes the cover and reapplies sealant again under warranty. Suggests it may not have been done properly the first time.
  • 53.7k miles : Clicking sound from engine. Almost immediately got louder, smoke from the engine compartment and power loss. The engine wouldn’t crank. Had car towed to the dealer. They found that a connecting rod bearing failed, which in turn pretty much shredded everything in its vicinity and cracked the block.
The Toyota dealer was great. They said I needed a new engine and offered to get me one under warranty, without me even having to ask. Every part that engine oil passed through was destroyed by the metal debris, as was the intake manifold. I was told they ordered about $12,000 worth of parts. They did take two months to get all the parts and put it together though.

I had to take the car back to the dealer at 55.5k miles for an oil leak, but it was a quick fix. The dipstick O-ring wasn’t seated properly.

I have done about 3000 miles on the new engine so far, and everything seems ok so far. Now that I’m reading about these engine failures, I plan to add as many miles as I can to make sure any problems are flushed out before the 1 year warranty on it expires.

jlionking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:38 AM   #72
coldy

Drives: Scion FR-S Asphalt MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Frustrated

Vehicle Mileage: 108000
Vehicle Make: Scion FRS
Mileage After Recall Performed: 2000
Symptom(s): Knocking, shutdown on highway
Failure: Engine is done. Not making a sound.
State: Quebec
Is Dealership Offering Repair: Unknown at this point, still diagnosing
coldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:19 PM   #73
Rcarrwire

Drives: Stock BRZ
So, my 2013 BRZ 77k miles, “So the Tech did your recall, after the recall, it was idling weird and acting stupid, the cam gear sprocket died and needed to be replaced, it got replaced and was running fine with no issues. Took it on the test drive I was looking at the vvt angles, and everything was looking good then he was at 5-6k rpm making sure it was good then oil pressure dropped vvt went crazy, and it rod knocked. BRZs have been having issues non stop after recalls, so you will more than likely end up with a new block.”
Given to me straight from the tech doing the data monitoring.
Rcarrwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:01 AM   #74
BlackOptics

Drives: 2013 FR-S
So far it seems we've gotten two articles on two different car sites made that's talking about this thread and the damage done to the cars. While I hope no one else has to deal with this stuff, I would encourage anyone that knows people that have had this happen, and haven't signed up on here to do so and put the info into this forum. Who knows if we get enough people this could possibly get notice from Toyota, and subaru.
BlackOptics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:53 AM   #75
Malcolm87

Drives: 13' 86
Garage
My car is a Scion FRS
I bought it Nov 12, 2012
I have 54,454 miles on the vehicle 3/11/19
W/ AEM Intake & Borla full exhaust

The engine is apart and at the dealership. Toyota asked them for pictures of my Camshafts and camshaft housing. I talked to the dealership and toyota wants me to be aware of the camshafts and housing. If i want it repaired they said i will have to pay the 2k$.

How does all your camshafts look?

Camshafts are on backorder so i have to wait... Hmmmm

Mine are so bad they can catch fingernails in the grooves.
Attached Images

Malcolm87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Malcolm87 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 03:19 AM   #76
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm87 View Post
My car is a Scion FRS
I bought it Nov 12, 2012

The engine is apart and at the dealership. Toyota asked them for pictures of my Camshafts and camshaft housing. I talked to the dealership and toyota wants me to be aware of the camshafts and housing. If i want it repaired they said i will have to pay the 2k$.

Welcome to the club, Malcolm87 -

Well, that cam does look a bit rough to me, but, maybe that's the way they are? I'll ring up ol @ermax for you for an opinion, he's had his engine apart.

humfrz
humfrz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:16 AM   #77
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
My car is a Scion FRS

I bought it Nov 12, 2012

My fear is if your cams are that oil starved, what do your rod bearings look like.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Summerwolf (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 10:11 AM   #78
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOptics View Post
So far it seems we've gotten two articles on two different car sites made that's talking about this thread and the damage done to the cars. While I hope no one else has to deal with this stuff, I would encourage anyone that knows people that have had this happen, and haven't signed up on here to do so and put the info into this forum. Who knows if we get enough people this could possibly get notice from Toyota, and subaru.
sending everyone to file a complaint at the nhtsa's website would probably be more likely to get a response. Doing both is best.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to why? For This Useful Post:
ermax (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 10:26 AM   #79
Pablitomarrero

Drives: FR-S 10 series
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Just got my car back from the dealer for this recall. The car feels horrible. The engine chirps continually after 2k rpm (i never had that issue), there is often a horrible knocking sound and traction control activates randomly pushing my car off to one side. Im taking the car back tomorrow, not driving it till then. Might lead to failure if I push it.
Pablitomarrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:18 AM   #80
Malcolm87

Drives: 13' 86
Garage
There is a thread that a person started called scorned camshafts and he stated his camshafts are like mine during jo2 recall. There is no way in hell they should look this bad at 55k miles.
Malcolm87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:36 AM   #81
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
sending everyone to file a complaint at the nhtsa's website would probably be more likely to get a response. Doing both is best.
National Highway Traffic SAFETY Administration.
They regulate safety related recalls. They don't give one shit if the work done in those recalls causes engine failure. They have zero that they could or would do about the post "repair" failures.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:41 AM   #82
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
There is a thread that a person started called scorned camshafts and he stated his camshafts are like mine during jo2 recall. There is no way in hell they should look this bad at 55k miles.
The 13s have been plagued with oil starvation issues from the start. Some were bad enough to spin bearing. Some just scored camshafts.
I find it interesting that they would recall the springs that affect several models and engines but have a very low failure rate while appearing to totally ignore the oil issues from the one model.
mswbrz (03-18-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 03:48 PM   #83
msaikhan

Drives: frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOptics View Post
Pretty sure Toyota knows about this. I have 2 engineers coming from toyota to oversee my engine getting torn apart. And i heard from someone else that Toyota is coming to check his car. But this is after me complaining to corp.
msaikhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:59 PM   #84
HlfpriceWngs
:)

Drives: 2013 FR-S SWP
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Looks like it's my turn to join the thread.

Vehicle Mileage: 162000~km
Vehicle Make: 2013 Scion FRS
Mileage After Recall Performed: Less the 300km
Symptom(s): Engine started knocking while decelerating, then shut off.
Failure: spun bearing
State: Ontario, Canada
Is Dealership Offering Repair: Dealship has told me they will stand behind their work and are taking responsibility. They have ordered a new crank, connecting rods, and bearings. Will take 7 days to ship for California. They are doing the rebuild of my motors which has me worried.

I went in for the recall Monday March 4th. The work was complete on the 11th along my with my clutch, flywheel, throughout bearing, and spark plugs. Just 30 min ago my car died on the side of the road after a lot of clunking. I haven't even used half a tank of gas. The car was serviced at Erin mills Toyota in Mississauga. It being towed there now, I've left a voicemail with the service rep. I was contacted by my service rep this morning, and was told they will try to get the car looked at today. So far the dealership has been very co-operative.

All this before leaving on vacation next Monday.

Last edited by HlfpriceWngs; 03-22-2019 at 05:16 PM.
HlfpriceWngs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HlfpriceWngs For This Useful Post:
caus (03-18-2019), humfrz (03-17-2019)

Tags
fa20, failure, recall, spun bearing, subaru, toyota, valve spring