follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-14-2019, 06:46 PM   #281
Gunman

Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Thanked 1,317 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
You'd be going down the same route though wouldn't you? Fiat working on a Mazda.
The Fiat has an Italian engine.
Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:49 PM   #282
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichima View Post
Sorry i wasn’t specific. They already performed the recall service. They were able to tell me my headgaskets were bad prior to completing the work. So i said with 90k miles go ahead and replace it. But how would they not know my valves were bad prior to working on the valve springs? Like i said, i don’t know too much about motor work but i was already told they ripped me off with the hg replacement and don’t wanna get ripped off again.
They are screwing you over royalty!
Dadhawk (03-14-2019), Summerwolf (03-14-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 06:56 PM   #283
Ichima

Drives: 13' Lightning Red Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
They are screwing you over royalty!
Normally those are the words many people do not wanna hear, but it's the words i want to hear at the moment knowing that I am not that clueless about cars. I've been in contact with SOA about this situation and keep everyone posted.
Ichima is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ichima For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-14-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 07:30 PM   #284
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Sorry i wasn’t specific. They already performed the recall service. They were able to tell me my headgaskets were bad prior to completing the work. So i said with 90k miles go ahead and replace it. But how would they not know my valves were bad prior to working on the valve springs? Like i said, i don’t know too much about motor work but i was already told they ripped me off with the hg replacement and don’t wanna get ripped off again.
They removed your heads and are now telling you that AFTER "fixing" the head gaskets you need valves, cams.... fucking cams!!!! WHAT DID THEY DO!?!?!?

They're making a buck and withholding the vaseline, that is incredibly shady. If there was an upper end issue they'd have noticed before / during the head gaskets. Pretty sure you got screwed on the head gasket repair to begin with.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:41 PM   #285
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunman View Post
The Fiat has an Italian engine.

Ah. Didn’t know that.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:56 PM   #286
Ichima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
They removed your heads and are now telling you that AFTER "fixing" the head gaskets you need valves, cams.... fucking cams!!!! WHAT DID THEY DO!?!?!?

They're making a buck and withholding the vaseline, that is incredibly shady. If there was an upper end issue they'd have noticed before / during the head gaskets. Pretty sure you got screwed on the head gasket repair to begin with.
I wish i was more competent when it came to more technical work like this.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:03 PM   #287
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
So I have my car in the shop now. But I'm concerned as well, very seriously considering trading for a corvette or possibly a 124 spider
After the recall work, just don't drive it off the dealers lot before you trade it in -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:04 AM   #288
ORrooster

Drives: Your FR-S like he stole it.
Quote:
You don't need an impact to generate enough force to bust through the super thin and weak aluminium on the back side of those holes.
You could put them all in by hand and the leftover sealer in there from prior sealing (Factory) and a combination of the new sealer in the holes would easily damage the components. It isn't a thin fluid (coolant, oil, or cleaner) that might be able to escape via the threads prior to attempted compression.

Any decent technician would not need a color illustrated document to tell them that. Unfortunate that decent technicians are in the vast minority.

Quote:
I seriously doubt people are using an impact (or any pneumatic tools) for those dinky short little bolts. These aren't the larger bolts around the edge of the cover. It's just the really small ones in the center of the cover. They are torqued to ~7ft-lb which is a weak hand tight.
I'll give you 20:1 odds that more of those bolts are being put in with a cordless impact tool vs an accurate torque wrench for ~ 7 lb.ft.

10:1 more 'techs' these days own a cordless impact and no torque wrench.

ermax (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 01:18 AM   #289
ORrooster

Quote:
Nothing is stopping them from making the same mistakes all over again though.
It would stop them if they got put on blast and nobody went in there to get their recall performed.

Doubt it would really hurt their feelings that badly (businesses don't have feelings!!) since, Takata is paying so much better than working on Subarus right now anyways.

Old 03-15-2019, 01:31 AM   #290
ORrooster

Quote:
They couldn’t even tell me. They just said i need new valves, rockers, cams, etc. they also said they didn’t touch my valves at all during the process of the recall.
They touched every one of your valves and performed a fairly advanced procedure replacing the springs. And they had the heads off too?? Impossible that they just did that much work in that precise area and were not able to foresee any catastrophic failure not caused by them. Camshafts were out. Rockers were all out.

I'd pay double their initial estimate for a lawyer. If you don't know anything about cars, you need to hire help.

Old 03-15-2019, 08:13 AM   #291
Ichima

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORrooster View Post
They touched every one of your valves and performed a fairly advanced procedure replacing the springs. And they had the heads off too?? Impossible that they just did that much work in that precise area and were not able to foresee any catastrophic failure not caused by them. Camshafts were out. Rockers were all out.

I'd pay double their initial estimate for a lawyer. If you don't know anything about cars, you need to hire help.

Thank you for your input. They told me I have to pick my car up today before i start accumulating storage fees. I am also waiting on response still from soa.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:29 AM   #292
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
You don't need an impact to generate enough force to bust through the super thin and weak aluminium on the back side of those holes. I seriously doubt people are using an impact (or any pneumatic tools) for those dinky short little bolts. These aren't the larger bolts around the edge of the cover. It's just the really small ones in the center of the cover. They are torqued to ~7ft-lb which is a weak hand tight.
I'd have to agree to disagree on this one. I have seen guys use small 1/4 drive impacts on small covers if there are a lot of bolts to spin them down. My 1/4 drive spins pretty fast too so I don't trust it unless it is on it's lowest setting and I know what is down there. I don't have enough experience with this motor so not willing to try to shove some cured FPIG in a hole and see if I can crack it using a ratchet so I will have to take your word on it. I have seen guys squirt silicone down a blind hole before tightening it to try to seal a leak from a warped cover though
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:42 AM   #293
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORrooster View Post

I'll give you 20:1 odds that more of those bolts are being put in with a cordless impact tool vs an accurate torque wrench for ~ 7 lb.ft.

10:1 more 'techs' these days own a cordless impact and no torque wrench.

To be fair a lot of torque values assigned in service manuals are not critical values and are based on thread size/pitch and the material it is going into. A lot of values are easy to guess based on looking at the hardware. Experience comes from knowing what is a critical and what is not.

I remember on the YZF series of motor a common failure was guys who didn't know any better would tighten the cam caps without paying any attention. This would score the cam and head, the cam would then seize to the head hard enough to spin the timing sprocket a couple of teeth out of phase
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:55 AM   #294
Cheeky

Drives: 10 Series FRS
Hey guys, I looked at my recall letter again and my recall reference # is R68 (or SOSH-R68-1A).

I also saw the letter online for J02, are these one and the same recall? They both talk about the valve spring fix, but I never got a J02.
Cheeky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz, failure, frs, i cant even, j02, recall, so much glue