follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 12-27-2018, 05:53 PM   #99
LimitedSlip
Senior Citizen Member

Drives: Then-1977 Celica GT Now-2017 860SE
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Greetings touku!

You are correct, there are 8 speakers in the factory configuration:

A 4" paired with a 1" on the top ends of the dash.

A 4" in the outside walls behind the front seats.

A 6" in each of the doors.

The factory HU has four speaker level outputs: Front L&R and Rear L&R. Pretty standard stuff.

The secret is that there is a small amplifier located under the carpet in the trunk near the base of the seat back. This amp drives the two 6" speakers in the doors. I believe this amp is driven off the HU front speaker outputs along with the dash speakers.

Here is an excellent thread with more connector information:

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128374

You may also glean some information about the amp and it's wiring here:

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42239

Keep in mind that the factory Toyota radio is sourced from Pioneer and replacing it with a Pioneer AVH-ZL5150 is "keeping it in the family" so to speak. The rear channel impedance shouldn't be an issue since there is only one speaker per channel. Since we don't know the input impedance of the trunk amp, it would be difficult to determine the load presented to the HU by the speakers and amp in whatever configuration they are wired.

But, I can tell you from personal experience that the AVH-ZL5150 works well and is a great improvement in both function and audio quality in a 2017 86. There is, of course, still room for improvement with some better speakers . . .
LimitedSlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:56 PM   #100
Juzzotec

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimitedSlip View Post
Greetings touku!

You are correct, there are 8 speakers in the factory configuration:

A 4" paired with a 1" on the top ends of the dash.

A 4" in the outside walls behind the front seats.

A 6" in each of the doors.

The factory HU has four speaker level outputs: Front L&R and Rear L&R. Pretty standard stuff.

The secret is that there is a small amplifier located under the carpet in the trunk near the base of the seat back. This amp drives the two 6" speakers in the doors. I believe this amp is driven off the HU front speaker outputs along with the dash speakers.

Here is an excellent thread with more connector information:

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128374

You may also glean some information about the amp and it's wiring here:

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42239

Keep in mind that the factory Toyota radio is sourced from Pioneer and replacing it with a Pioneer AVH-ZL5150 is "keeping it in the family" so to speak. The rear channel impedance shouldn't be an issue since there is only one speaker per channel. Since we don't know the input impedance of the trunk amp, it would be difficult to determine the load presented to the HU by the speakers and amp in whatever configuration they are wired.

But, I can tell you from personal experience that the AVH-ZL5150 works well and is a great improvement in both function and audio quality in a 2017 86. There is, of course, still room for improvement with some better speakers . . .

The AVH-ZL5150 has excellent sound quality compared to stock but lacks in a lot of other places in my opinion. It’s a pretty basic unit with CarPlay and Android Auto features.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Juzzotec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Juzzotec For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (01-02-2019)
Old 12-27-2018, 06:17 PM   #101
LimitedSlip
Senior Citizen Member

Yes, I should clarify - All of my music is played from a USB memory stick. The playlist and file/folder navigation with the factory HU just aggravated me to no end. I don't use and haven't even attempted either Android Auto or CarPlay. If I recall, the AVH-ZL5150 only does USB wired AA or CP. No wireless.

So yes, Juzzotec makes a good point if you intend to stream from your phone.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:22 PM   #102
Juzzotec

Quote:
Yes, I should clarify - All of my music is played from a USB memory stick. The playlist and file/folder navigation with the factory HU just aggravated me to no end. I don't use and haven't even attempted either Android Auto or CarPlay. If I recall, the AVH-ZL5150 only does USB wired AA or CP. No wireless.

So yes, Juzzotec makes a good point if you intend to stream from your phone.

Completely understand, the stock headunit was terrible for USB music navigation.

I think what really let me down about this unit was the simple things that are lacking. Even uploading a picture file as a background made it look pixelated, something the stock unit was capable of in high quality. Try it for yourself.
So basically you cannot customise it to your 86/BRZ..

Old 12-27-2018, 07:59 PM   #103
LimitedSlip
Senior Citizen Member

When I read your earlier post about the background images I intended to try it but unfortunately I had to swap the 86 for my "Kluger" until the Northern Hemisphere warms up again. But it will happen.
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2018, 04:58 AM   #104
Juzzotec

Quote:
When I read your earlier post about the background images I intended to try it but unfortunately I had to swap the 86 for my "Kluger" until the Northern Hemisphere warms up again. But it will happen.

Yep that’s not gonna be ideal for your 86
Our Christmas is the opposite in Australia, summer heat.

Old 01-05-2019, 03:43 AM   #105
touko

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My installation experience

I've finished installing the unit. Microphone is connected, but not affixed to a permanent location; I left it in the small stowage space right next to the AUX/USB for now. I'll probably decide on what to do with mic later.

Total USD cost not counting general purpose tools: $434.46 for HU + $102.50 for the wiring harness = $536.96.

I went with LimitedSlip's instructions as I own a 2017 86. A few comments and gotchas from my personal installation experience, some about general procedure and some specific to this head unit:

General comments
  • I found automotive trim remover tools useful to remove dash trim without causing damage on the interior finish. Those are pretty cheaply available on Amazon.
  • Head unit brackets are sharp enough to cause scratches on the interior finish. Use extra caution with them, or have something ready to wrap them around before you let go.
  • Length of the factory wiring don't help much with the above, as it takes a bit of effort to plug everything in while keeping the brackets well away from stuff around.
  • You will need a 10mm socket with extension. Ratchet can't reach the lower bolts without an extension.
  • My car came with 8mm bolts with Philips screwhead holding the bracket to the OEM head unit. I found the screwheads quite soft and prone to damage, so use the 8mm socket if it doesn't work out.

Comments specific to this unit/harness
  • Use the screws came with the unit to attach brackets to the head unit.
  • Make sure to reset the unit with the button on the front after installation. This was the only way I could access steering wheel control setup, despite the manual suggesting this menu can be accessed as long as the car has parking brakes engaged. I ended up wasting a few hours trying to figure out why steering wheel control settings was greyed out.
  • You need to tap on the clock on the screen to update the time; it's not in the settings.
  • Setting region to South America seems to set the correct radio frequency spacing for both AM and FM. Radio works fine, although metadata only works for certain stations that support them in analog radio, since HD Radio is not supported.
  • Aerial in Australian English is antenna in US English.
  • If you order the upgraded option in autoharnesshouse.com, you'll most likely get VSS (Pin 17 on 28 pin harness) wired to the Pioneer connector. Since this unit does not support speed input, the same pin is used for mute function instead. Either cut the corresponding wire, or remove the corresponding pin somewhere. Mine came with a PSU-style connector in the middle connecting 28 pin harness with the rest of stuff, which is where I removed the VSS pin.
  • You can get away with not splicing 3.5mm TRS/TRRS plug for AUX by using AV RCA inputs for the harness RCA connectors, if you don't need to use the RCA inputs for something else; e.g. NAV unit. The input source will be named "AV" instead of "AUX", but it's a minor difference IMO. Make sure you enable the correct one in input settings.
  • If you want to use TRRS plug for video signals in AUX port, Pioneer CD-RM10 uses pinouts where the audio is on the tip and outer ring. I think ground is actually on the inner ring, not the sleeve. Be careful if you want to buy cheaper adapters from 3.5mm TRRS to component video; some of them have ground on the sleeve, which makes it a lot more involved than mismatched colored connectors. Also, this setup may require you to find a way to add a socket for a component video RCA female connector, since the factory AUX wiring is 3-wire TRS (audio only).
  • Custom illumination color is pretty neat, as now I can color match the head unit buttons with the rest of orange backlit controls in the dash. Looks even more OEM than the OEM head unit!
  • 480p resolution is barely noticeable, although it's a bit more pronounced on CarPlay. Home screen icons are fine as they are big, but the small icons on the left showing the recent apps are a bit blurry, as well as the map labels on Waze. I wish it had 720p screen like the more recent Kenwood models; I guess I get what I paid for. Only if Kenwood had the buttons on the left..
  • Better international text support! I found it utterly ridiculous that the OEM head unit, despite manufactured by a Japanese company, could not render Japanese text properly. This one natively renders Japanese fine, although it does not work with Korean. CarPlay makes that issue moot, however, as iOS can handle either one just fine.
  • Sound quality is indeed better than the OEM unit, as reported in this thread.
  • I wish there was a way to turn off video aspect ratio settings for certain inputs, as well as the warning in the reverse camera. "Image may be reversed" is the kind of warning you should be able to disable once you confirm everything is in order with the camera.
  • Head unit has reverse camera available as an input, although it won't be powered unless on reverse due to the way it's wired. I'm not sure whether this can be disabled so it does not show up on the list.
touko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to touko For This Useful Post:
godzuki (01-10-2019), LimitedSlip (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 10:22 PM   #106
LimitedSlip
Senior Citizen Member

Hey touko!

Good to hear you made it through the installation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by touko View Post
I wish there was a way to turn off video aspect ratio settings for certain inputs, as well as the warning in the reverse camera. "Image may be reversed" is the kind of warning you should be able to disable once you confirm everything is in order with the camera.
Just a thought about this. I don't have ready access to my 86 right now (see post #103, above) but I may have been able to eliminate the "reversed" message by turning off the Pioneer's "Parking Assist Guide" (Owners Manual, page 38). The factory backup camera generates its own guide lines so having another set turned on in the Pioneer is not necessary and just adds clutter to the image. As I said, I'm not certain if this disables the "reversed" message but check it out.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:41 AM   #107
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Has anyone been able to find these lately? I'm not seeing them on ebay anymore
Old 02-14-2019, 10:48 AM   #108
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Drives: Green '17 BRZ Sport-Tech MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post

Looks like there is very limited stock left from Pioneer. There’s a small handful of Aussie websites that still have it in stock, but as for shipping to Canada, I’m not sure...
Old 02-14-2019, 11:17 PM   #109
Nails

Drives: 2016 FR-S (Halo MT)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
This is where I purchased mine:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-AVH...bUuq:rk:1:pf:0

It looks like they have one left.
Nails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:01 AM   #110
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nails View Post
This is where I purchased mine:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-AVH...bUuq:rk:1:pf:0

It looks like they have one left.

Doesn't ship to Canada, that's why it wasn't showing up in my searches. Found a non 200mm, but available in stores locally, model that also supports wireless airplay/android auto, going to check it out soon to see how it looks/feels in person.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:23 AM   #111
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Drives: Green '17 BRZ Sport-Tech MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Doesn't ship to Canada, that's why it wasn't showing up in my searches. Found a non 200mm, but available in stores locally, model that also supports wireless airplay/android auto, going to check it out soon to see how it looks/feels in person.
If you're looking for a standard Double DIN dash adapter that looks better than the solutions from the aftermarket, Subaru Japan has an OEM version that looks nicer.

Not cheap, but an option nonetheless.

Subaru Part number is H0017CA900.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:10 PM   #112
touko

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey touko!

Good to hear you made it through the installation.

Just a thought about this. I don't have ready access to my 86 right now (see post #103, above) but I may have been able to eliminate the "reversed" message by turning off the Pioneer's "Parking Assist Guide" (Owners Manual, page 38). The factory backup camera generates its own guide lines so having another set turned on in the Pioneer is not necessary and just adds clutter to the image. As I said, I'm not certain if this disables the "reversed" message but check it out.
It's already off, so I don't think there is a way.

Also, an update on my post above: SWC can be reprogrammed as long as no input is selected.
touko is offline   Reply With Quote