follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-08-2019, 07:01 PM   #659
ottawafrs

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ristar View Post
What dealership are you using? The one nearest me in Jonesboro inspired zero confidence when I talked to the service manager and he had no idea the frs had a Subaru motor in it.
See if you can find a big Toyota dealer in an urban area. I'm going to the biggest Toyota dealer in a city of 1M and the shop manager made me feel good by letting me know they've rebuilt a few forced induction motors after they blew.
ottawafrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:32 PM   #660
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,431 Times in 6,147 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdoc View Post
Well I guess my spark plugs are getting done, and my failed coilpack had good timing.
Well, it did until it failed lol.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Dake (01-09-2019), murdoc (01-09-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 09:00 PM   #661
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,938 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ristar View Post
What dealership are you using? The one nearest me in Jonesboro inspired zero confidence when I talked to the service manager and he had no idea the frs had a Subaru motor in it.
Autonation Toyota in Lithia Springs. It's where I bought the car, and my father-in-law used to work for them (salesman) so I have some history with them with other cars.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
ristar (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 10:03 PM   #662
ristar

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Autonation Toyota in Lithia Springs. It's where I bought the car, and my father-in-law used to work for them (salesman) so I have some history with them with other cars.
Excellent, thank you.
ristar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:21 AM   #663
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Well, it did until it failed lol.

Well done.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:16 AM   #664
mswbrz

Drives: 2013 brz limited / galaxy blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Well fuck got this in my email

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mswbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mswbrz For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 07:06 AM   #665
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I wonder if all 2013 BRZs are affected since I have not heard anything and when I go to the My Subaru site it still lists "no active recalls" for my VIN. We'll see..maybe Subaru is rolling it our to owners in stages.

Have other BRZ owners received a notice yet? (all the posts seem to be from the 86 guys)
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZnut For This Useful Post:
dnieves (01-12-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 07:25 AM   #666
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,938 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZnut View Post
I wonder if all 2013 BRZs are affected since I have not heard anything and when I go to the My Subaru site it still lists "no active recalls" for my VIN. We'll see..maybe Subaru is rolling it our to owners in stages.

Have other BRZ owners received a notice yet? (all the posts seem to be from the 86 guys)
It is not all 2013 cars, but specific VINs, most early on in the build cycle.

In the US, your car would show up on the government recall site (listed here several times, but it comes up pretty easy on Google) if impacted even if Subaru as "parsing" out the service.

This impacts only one Toyota model (the 86) but multiple Subaru models so it is possible Subaru is "pacing" the official notification but if you are impacted you should show up on both sites (NHTSA and Subaru).

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:13 AM   #667
alan.chalkley

Drives: 4wd zooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZnut View Post

I just received my brz notice here down under in australia , but it states that the parts and tools are not available for a few months.
I hope to delay it for a while because i don't want my car to be the test mule for "new tools".
alan.chalkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:47 AM   #668
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan.chalkley View Post
I just received my brz notice here down under in australia , but it states that the parts and tools are not available for a few months.

I hope to delay it for a while because i don't want my car to be the test mule for "new tools".

I'm of the same mind. Especially with the instructions not specifying measuring and re-shimming I'd rather wait to see if there's no issues that pop up after 5-10k miles.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:29 AM   #669
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
I'm of the same mind. Especially with the instructions not specifying measuring and re-shimming I'd rather wait to see if there's no issues that pop up after 5-10k miles.
Agree with this although looking for issues to pop up may be sporadic. One person could use a dealer that has extensive experience with top end rebuilds and knows how to shim these new springs properly. Another person could use a dealer who doesn't really care and gets it all wrong - you could end up with valve float (you'd probably see performance issues right away at high rpms) with low spring tension or overstressed springs/valve heads/valve seats if spring tension is too high. The latter could take a while to manifest itself depending on how bad. Also springs typically have a break-in period where they lose a little bit of tension, so not sure how they're factoring that in as well?
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:11 AM   #670
Ragin Gti

Drives: '15 Subaru BRZ
'13 BRZ production date 12/9/11 - 7/2/13 are recalled for the valve springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ragin Gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:45 AM   #671
Silvermk2

Drives: Toyota Supra 2JZGTE VVTi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
Agree with this although looking for issues to pop up may be sporadic. One person could use a dealer that has extensive experience with top end rebuilds and knows how to shim these new springs properly. Another person could use a dealer who doesn't really care and gets it all wrong - you could end up with valve float (you'd probably see performance issues right away at high rpms) with low spring tension or overstressed springs/valve heads/valve seats if spring tension is too high. The latter could take a while to manifest itself depending on how bad. Also springs typically have a break-in period where they lose a little bit of tension, so not sure how they're factoring that in as well?

You shouldn't need to reshim valves if you change only the springs. The valve clearance is set by the length of the valve, the depth of the seat in the head, and the cam mechanism dimensions. The spring just holds the valve closed. The small changes in valve clearance are nothing in spring tension compared to how much the valve travels. I'm sure they are just using the same springs again, but with the correct material.

Frankly I wouldn't worry much about this part of the job. Its pretty obvious you don't have the keepers in right when you put the retainer on. What they are going to screw up is the more mundane stuff like leaving bolts out and denting and scratching the car when pulling the engine.

One thing I would suggest to have replaced is the valve seals if you're doing this job. I will buy you about 5 more years from doing this in the future if you're keeping you car for another 15 years or so.
Silvermk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:04 PM   #672
USMC

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-s
Hey Guys and gals, I got my recall notice this past Saturday, 2013 (24,000 miles). I went on Monday to Lipton Toyota in Fort lauderdale, FL. They stated one week for the work. Got called this morning stating it was ready to go. I need to wash the 86. Will see what happens.
USMC is offline   Reply With Quote