follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 04-25-2012, 02:47 AM   #1
Phaedrus29

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FRS faster than BRZ? Tell me why I should still get the BRZ.

I really have my heart set on the BRZ over the FRS. My wife has a Subaru and I generally like the brand...and I do slightly prefer the styling and the HIDs. But these reviews that have just been posted have me worried. The reviews from Inside Line, Automobile mag, Motor Trend, and Motor Authority all mention that the FRS is faster. It's mentioned somewhat in the articles, but any thoughts on why this is the case? I really want to get the BRZ over the FRS, but how do I justify that in light of the FRS being a bit cheaper and faster?

Oooops I meant to post this in the Subaru forum.
Phaedrus29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:49 AM   #2
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
It's minutely faster due to a bit more oversteery suspension tune. In reality, they are the same. You are getting the BRZ because it comes with a lot more kit. Nav, HIDs, DRLs, etc. are standard.
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:51 AM   #3
vaporiz

Drives: 350z
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
^ and BRZ's interior is superior.

FR-S is more rewarding to the better driver, though I doubt the difference can be told by just driving casually.
vaporiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:58 AM   #4
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,051 Times in 8,326 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus29 View Post
I really have my heart set on the BRZ over the FRS. My wife has a Subaru and I generally like the brand...and I do slightly prefer the styling and the HIDs. But these reviews that have just been posted have me worried. The reviews from Inside Line, Automobile mag, Motor Trend, and Motor Authority all mention that the FRS is faster. It's mentioned somewhat in the articles, but any thoughts on why this is the case? I really want to get the BRZ over the FRS, but how do I justify that in light of the FRS being a bit cheaper and faster?

Oooops I meant to post this in the Subaru forum.
I gonna be honest. When I buy this car it's come down to this

MT = FR-S
AT = BRZ

Why? If I buy MT, which means I gonna use this car for track/autox more than DD, so I don't need all the accessoies. AT, I kinda want extra luxury stuff, which BRZ offers, so I'm going for BRZ.

Other than that, BRZ & FR-S, they're all same to me. Just happen to be FR-S got better time than BRZ. Road condition was different along with weather & temp. Again, just take all the info and review as grain of salt
Old 04-25-2012, 03:01 AM   #5
Phaedrus29

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Just happen to be FR-S got better time than BRZ. Road condition was different. Same with weather & temp. Again, just take all the info and review as grain of salt
Ya good point. Although I think we also saw videos recently of the same driver on the same course with the same conditions, and the FRS beat out the BRZ very slightly. So there might be some truth to what these reviewers are saying.
Phaedrus29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:04 AM   #6
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,051 Times in 8,326 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus29 View Post
Ya good point. Although I think we also saw videos recently of the same driver on the same course with the same conditions, and the FRS beat out the BRZ very slightly. So there might be some truth to what these reviewers are saying.
Yes, that might be true... but which car was driven first? FRS or BRZ? Cuz if BRZ was driven first and then timed, afterward he drove FRS and then timed, of course FRS gonna have better time. Cuz he have more time getting used to the car.

I'm not saying FRS is faster and BRZ is slower or vice versa. I'm tell you, drive both of em and see which one you like more.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:24 AM   #7
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I wouldn't call FR-S is faster because same driver drives both car at the same day. He can't drive the same car to match the exact time he did. It can be slightly better or worse.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:35 AM   #8
Enemies

Drives: '13 SWP Sport-Tech (Limited)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I wouldn't be surprised if the FR-S was a little faster but if people optimally tune their cars I bet you the number difference will be pretty insignificant.

Both cars are so very good. They each have their own benefits and their drawbacks. At the end of the day the biggest factor in how this car drives will be you. I'm not saying speed doesn't matter but I'm not exactly worried about fractions of a second. :P

What we need here is... The Stig!
Enemies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:51 AM   #9
KeepGuessing

Drives: e30 150 deville etc etc
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
How is the FRS faster ? really? I'm wondering..Thus far the reviews have said 1 thing conclusively..

The car with the assists OFF is faster than the car with the assists ON...

Reviews have reported times in the FRS in similar sluggishness to the brz yet reported the FRS had the assists on....Yet no report as to the status of the assits in the brz car...so it's pretty safe to assume the "slow times" in the brz were achieved using the same things that lead to slow times in the FRS...

One might be SLIGHTLY faster due to nature of handling itself in the corner...but overall that's COMPLETELY compensatable(word?lol)

A BRZ that has a slight tendency to understeer can still outperform a FRS..why? because the driver of the FRS is an idiot...simple answer..

The cars are too close/similar in performance for you to choose one based on performance, seriously that's the WORSE deciding factor at this point.
KeepGuessing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:10 AM   #10
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Yeah, I find some of the reviewers comments about it being much faster than the BRZ amusing. As far as we know, the only difference between the two is the suspension setup. The FR-S should not have a power advantage or a better transmission. It would have to be down to discrepancies between the parts or maybe even the fuel or oil or conditions.

But there is a real difference in suspension setup. If you don't plan to modify the suspension, the BRZ will be more stable and the FR-S will be more lively.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:54 AM   #11
Moto-P

Drives: Many types of cars in R&D.
Thanked 3,058 Times in 568 Posts
Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Guys, its a 200hp lightweight car, and like the old AE86, 90% of the speed around a racetrack is determined by the driver abilities. Therefore, the slight difference in suspension tuning is mostly irrelevant, as skills for almost all of us are not nearly enough to tap out the highest potential of this car without years of experience and competition. If one makes a turbocharged version or something, that is when things change slightly, but in a car like this, even that may be offset by the inabilities of the driver behind the wheel...
Consulting Member at Cusco, OEM+, RS-R.
www.club4ag.com
Moto-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #12
Spaceywilly
ZC6A2B82KC7J

Drives: 2002 WRX
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
The cars are mechanically identical...

Also, what he said^

Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers.

Last edited by Spaceywilly; 04-25-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Spaceywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:32 PM   #13
Xdragonxb0i

Drives: ex500r
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
what he said^^^

the FRS may be faster in the hands of a pro. But the average joe, not really. I think in perfect conditions/perfect lap the FRS will beat the Brz by < .5seconds

if you want the extra accessory and can afford it go for the BRZ.
Xdragonxb0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:39 PM   #14
Kimsey47

Drives: 2016 STI DGM
Thanked 1,460 Times in 662 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Agreed: BRZ = More daily driver comfort
FR-S = More cost effective solution to BRZ with less comforts