follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-20-2017, 05:11 PM   #15
Subsonic

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitcious View Post
You wouldn't happen to be the guy who submitted a car debate to everyday driver??
Ha! I was catching up on Everyday driver this morning on my way to work. So have you bought your cheap phaeton yet?

Subsonic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Subsonic For This Useful Post:
fitcious (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 06:26 PM   #16
kev60625

Drives: 2013 WRB Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltsFRS2013 View Post
Welcome! Glad to have you around.

I'm only 17 and I haven't driven many cars In my life, but the FRS to me is amazing. I currently own a 37k Mile Ultramarine 2013. If i were in your shoes i'd just go for the asphalt 2014.

Personally I feel the process of purchasing through a dealer is less of a hastle with financing etc etc.

I feel like the price of that car as well is extremely good, was there anything wrong with it before, in any accidents or anything? (the dealership one) I purchased my FRS a few weeks back from Woodbridge VA and payed about 16.9k for mine.

The fact you mentioned the other vehicle had some scuffs on mirrors and all does to me show it might of not been cared after too great, but I could be wrong. Whichever car you end up getting good luck! but hey, that 14'
I feel like that price is awful to be honest. I purchased my 2013 BRZ with 19k miles for $17K, in summer 2015. It also included goodies

When I was thinking of selling my car a couple of months ago, I saw a couple of good deals also. I think you should just buy that hot lava if you are okay with the wear and tear that it has OP, these cars aren't unreliable, can't really go wrong.

Use the $2,000+ that you'll save and spend that on mods, maybe a used supercharger and have a sick car.
kev60625 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kev60625 For This Useful Post:
nanxun (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 06:29 PM   #17
VoltsFRS2013

Drives: 2022' GR86 Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev60625 View Post
I feel like that price is awful to be honest. I purchased my 2013 BRZ with 19k miles for $17K, in summer 2015. It also included goodies

When I was thinking of selling my car a couple of months ago, I saw a couple of good deals also. I think you should just buy that hot lava if you are okay with the wear and tear that it has OP, these cars aren't unreliable, can't really go wrong.
The dealer was a duchebag to say the least. Most of the good deal FRS in my area sold, at one point there was a 2013 FRS with 4k Miles for sale for right around 16.5k but it sold. By the time i had the financial priorities set up all of the deals were kind of bummy, I just got tired of waiting and pulled the trigger, no shame though I'm seriously in love with my car

It surprises me you got a BRZ that low, most 2013 BRZs in my area are upper 18's
VoltsFRS2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VoltsFRS2013 For This Useful Post:
nanxun (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 06:44 PM   #18
nanxun

Drives: Mazda3 (looking for a used FR-S)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
Ha! I was catching up on Everyday driver this morning on my way to work. So have you bought your cheap phaeton yet?

nanxun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nanxun For This Useful Post:
fitcious (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 07:20 PM   #19
fitcious

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post

or a lotus. lol
fitcious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:25 PM   #20
fitcious

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanxun View Post
Wow. Yeah, that'd be me.

Small world, huh? How'd you figure it out?

Got any advice or words of wisdom?
haha i figure it was you. ED said someone wrote in who just totaled his Mazda 3 on Vday and here you are asking about the FRS with also a totaled Mazda 3!

the choices Todd and Paul gave were good. I personally own a 13 FRS, bought new. Now i have almost 40k and it has been good to me.

Just keep in mind that the interior will be more inferior and sparse versus the 3 and you will miss the cargo/passenger room (if you use it). You might miss the torque too (not sure how much the 3 have, but it must be more than the FRS). The ride is also much more rough than the 3. But you will enjoy the FRS regardless of its shortcomings - sits low, drives and handles well, looks awesome and you will feel it's faster than it actually is since you are so low to the ground.

I've driven both, but I chose the auto because it suits my lifestyle/daily driving better - i don't track my cars. Either transmission, you cannot go wrong but I remember Todd mentioned your next car is preferably a MT.

Go for it.
fitcious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:57 PM   #21
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I bought my 13' FR-S in May 2012, so it was one of the very first ones. I did have an ECU failure, and the computer had to be replaced (under warranty thankfully). Still is not a %100 car, but has never left me stranded anywhere... just ran really horrible and in limp mode on the bad ECU when it was having issues.

Only issue mine has is the P3051 code for ignition coil #1...runs fine even if the code and check engine comes though, nothing like when the bad ECU started failing. My FR-S has never been completely trouble free, but there is absolutely NO other car I would want to drive! I can live with the minor issues it has.

Personally I would go for the '14.... because Asphalt It's a sweet paint that has 5 distinct appearances based on lighting conditions....
nanxun (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 08:58 PM   #22
nanxun

Quote:
haha i figure it was you. ED said someone wrote in who just totaled his Mazda 3 on Vday and here you are asking about the FRS with also a totaled Mazda 3!

the choices Todd and Paul gave were good. I personally own a 13 FRS, bought new. Now i have almost 40k and it has been good to me.

Just keep in mind that the interior will be more inferior and sparse versus the 3 and you will miss the cargo/passenger room (if you use it). You might miss the torque too (not sure how much the 3 have, but it must be more than the FRS). The ride is also much more rough than the 3. But you will enjoy the FRS regardless of its shortcomings - sits low, drives and handles well, looks awesome and you will feel it's faster than it actually is since you are so low to the ground.

I've driven both, but I chose the auto because it suits my lifestyle/daily driving better - i don't track my cars. Either transmission, you cannot go wrong but I remember Todd mentioned your next car is preferably a MT.

Go for it.
What a coincidence! Or maybe not. After all, the community of car enthusiasts is probably smaller than one thinks, I suppose. Their suggestion that I get into a C5 Vette was hilarious. Then I saw this posted on CL today...

My spouse couldn't tell if I was serious and had to ask, but I'm not really a Vette kinda guy.

Anyway, many thanks for sharing your thoughts about your '13 FR-S. Very helpful.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:00 PM   #23
nanxun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracer111 View Post
I bought my 13' FR-S in May 2012, so it was one of the very first ones. I did have an ECU failure, and the computer had to be replaced (under warranty thankfully). Still is not a %100 car, but has never left me stranded anywhere... just ran really horrible and in limp mode on the bad ECU when it was having issues.

Only issue mine has is the P3051 code for ignition coil #1...runs fine even if the code and check engine comes though, nothing like when the bad ECU started failing. My FR-S has never been completely trouble free, but there is absolutely NO other car I would want to drive! I can live with the minor issues it has.

Personally I would go for the '14.... because Asphalt It's a sweet paint that has 5 distinct appearances based on lighting conditions....
Thx for sharing your thoughts and experience, @Vracer111 Very helpful and encouraging to hear that you survived that early ECU fail.

I love that Asphalt paint color, too!
Old 02-21-2017, 09:27 AM   #24
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
You wouldn't happen to be the guy who submitted a car debate to everyday driver??
I was thinking that too!

Incidentally, I wonder if the curb rash on all 4 rims is a sign of a twin that's been driven hard, and perhaps not taken care of?

Fwiw, my 13 BRZ was pretty much perfect - only left me stranded because of the notoriously bad stock battery (after a very cold night), and a ho-hum heated seat on the passenger side, as well as slight squeaks from the rear parcel shelf area (known issue).

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daiheadjai For This Useful Post:
nanxun (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 09:42 AM   #25
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiheadjai View Post
I was thinking that too!

Incidentally, I wonder if the curb rash on all 4 rims is a sign of a twin that's been driven hard, and perhaps not taken care of?

Fwiw, my 13 BRZ was pretty much perfect - only left me stranded because of the notoriously bad stock battery (after a very cold night), and a ho-hum heated seat on the passenger side, as well as slight squeaks from the rear parcel shelf area (known issue).

One wheel curb rashed is an "oops".
Two wheels Curb rashed is "I didn't learn the first time".
Four wheels curb rashed is "I don't give a flying fuck"
daiheadjai (02-21-2017), fitcious (02-22-2017), HKz (02-21-2017), nanxun (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 12:34 PM   #26
nanxun

Quote:
Originally Posted by daiheadjai View Post
I was thinking that too!

Thx for chiming in, @daiheadjai and @Tcoat

Yeah, the (minor) curb rash on all 4 wheels is a concern. wtf?

Along the same lines, when inspecting the engine bay, I found a bunch of dead leaves piled up on the driver's side by the power brake booster. Started pulling those out by hand, when the owner said, "Yeah, the car was parked outside under a tree while my son ["his son's car"] was in basic [training]...." So, the thing's sat for at least a couple of months, under a tree apparently.

These folks clearly didn't take very good care of the vehicle.

Any thoughts about how much these things add up to in US$ when negotiating? $300 $500? $800? More? Less?
Old 02-21-2017, 12:47 PM   #27
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanxun View Post
Thx for chiming in, @daiheadjai and @Tcoat

Yeah, the (minor) curb rash on all 4 wheels is a concern. wtf?

Along the same lines, when inspecting the engine bay, I found a bunch of dead leaves piled up on the driver's side by the power brake booster. Started pulling those out by hand, when the owner said, "Yeah, the car was parked outside under a tree while my son ["his son's car"] was in basic [training]...." So, the thing's sat for at least a couple of months, under a tree apparently.

These folks clearly didn't take very good care of the vehicle.

Any thoughts about how much these things add up to in US$ when negotiating? $300 $500? $800? More? Less?

I think in your region the price already reflects the condition of the car. The KBB value is great as an indicator but doesn't always do a good job of being up to date with supply and demand. I have ready dozens of guys in your general area that said they had a tough time finding a used one. That of course drives prices up no matter what the KBB or guys where you trip over one at every used car lot say.
nanxun (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 02:04 PM   #28
nanxun

Checked with the dealer selling the '14 in asphalt. Seems it was in a pretty big accident ("disabling" front-end damage and airbags deployed) back in Feb. 2016.

No thanks.....