follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 05-29-2019, 09:20 AM   #8415
sqd

Drives: '13 SWP GT86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
Need that short ram and metal tube

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Couldn't agree more!
Old 05-29-2019, 11:10 PM   #8416
BRZ_F

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
Good idea. I’ll probably do something similar with a m10x1 to 1/8” female adapter. What is that filter screen called exactly can you buy a small piece of it someplace?
Didn't work man. Fluid started spewing out. And only while driving at up to 4000 RPM. I wonder if having holes on the side of the plug instead of on top would change anything.
BRZ_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:19 AM   #8417
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZ_F View Post
Didn't work man. Fluid started spewing out. And only while driving at up to 4000 RPM. I wonder if having holes on the side of the plug instead of on top would change anything.
Damn I already bought some stuff. 10x1m to 4m adapter and a 35micron bronze filter. Thinking a smaller hole and a finer filter might prevent fluid from coming out but still let pressure escape. Most of those filters are 40+. But maybe I should find an even lower one or stack um I got two.

How was it spewing out, squirting straight through filter? Also how much clearance between dipstick and hood? Maybe put and elbow out of it and a small catch can off that. Basically same design as jon bonds but off dipstick hole.

Edit: Reading up more it looks like you need at least a 3 micron filter to stop the fluid... so we aren’t even close.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:44 AM   #8418
BRZ_F

Quote:
Damn I already bought some stuff. 10x1m to 4m adapter and a 35micron bronze filter. Thinking a smaller hole and a finer filter might prevent fluid from coming out but still let pressure escape. Most of those filters are 40+. But maybe I should find an even lower one or stack um I got two.

How was it spewing out, squirting straight through filter? Also how much clearance between dipstick and hood? Maybe put and elbow out of it and a small catch can off that. Basically same design as jon bonds but off dipstick hole.

Edit: Reading up more it looks like you need at least a 3 micron filter to stop the fluid... so we aren’t even close.
I started smelling the fluid while driving and then when I pulled over and opened the hood it was bubbling out of the filter. It didn't shoot out and on to the hood it was just leaking from out the filter. Not sure how much clearance there is from the dipstick to the hood.

But my next thought was what you said, maybe screw on an elbow onto the fill hole and then a hose from the elbow to a small catch can on the side of the SC. Thinking that having a hose will catch any fluid that rises and have it fall back into the SC, and any that doesn't can be collected in the catch can.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:41 AM   #8419
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
I started smelling the fluid while driving and then when I pulled over and opened the hood it was bubbling out of the filter. It didn't shoot out and on to the hood it was just leaking from out the filter. Not sure how much clearance there is from the dipstick to the hood.

But my next thought was what you said, maybe screw on an elbow onto the fill hole and then a hose from the elbow to a small catch can on the side of the SC. Thinking that having a hose will catch any fluid that rises and have it fall back into the SC, and any that doesn't can be collected in the catch can.
As long as the catch can was slightly higher then the elbow, and maybe tilted slightly down it could work, you wouldn't want it to slowly "drain" to the catch can all the time and get trapped and need to refill. i may try putting the 35 micron filter inside at the bottom of the "adapter fitting" i have then maybe a really fine 3 micron filter in the middle and then the other 35 micron filter at the very top, maybe the fluid will seep past the 1st filter and get trapped by the second one and drain back through the 1st one when it cools. and the 3rd top filter just in case for good measure and keep stuff out of this filter system.

This drawing, is basically what i am thinking. looks like you need a .3 micron filter to block oil though. hard to find.
Attached Images

Last edited by 86TOYO2k17; 05-30-2019 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:10 AM   #8420
86TOYO2k17

Looking more into it, it may end up just being easiest and cheapest to get a an elbow and just use jon bond oil consumption kit if there is room to fit it under hood.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:01 AM   #8421
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
You tap the metal plate on the left side of your facing the SC. The job bond kit is exactly this. Brass 90 elbow and a metal catch can with a filter at the top...

2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:58 AM   #8422
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
You tap the metal plate on the left side of your facing the SC. The job bond kit is exactly this. Brass 90 elbow and a metal catch can with a filter at the top...

we are fully aware of the JB kit hence the mentioning of it in previous posts and the idea to use it if space isn't limited under the hood. To use it the intended way requires some disassembly and removal of the drive snout and drilling into the metal plate. Two things that would be nice to avoid especially since our chargers do not have issues, just a precaution. Hence the ease of using the dipstick hole to prevent both of those things.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:22 PM   #8423
BRZ_F

Quote:
As long as the catch can was slightly higher then the elbow, and maybe tilted slightly down it could work, you wouldn't want it to slowly "drain" to the catch can all the time and get trapped and need to refill. i may try putting the 35 micron filter inside at the bottom of the "adapter fitting" i have then maybe a really fine 3 micron filter in the middle and then the other 35 micron filter at the very top, maybe the fluid will seep past the 1st filter and get trapped by the second one and drain back through the 1st one when it cools. and the 3rd top filter just in case for good measure and keep stuff out of this filter system.

This drawing, is basically what i am thinking. looks like you need a .3 micron filter to block oil though. hard to find.
Quote:
Looking more into it, it may end up just being easiest and cheapest to get a an elbow and just use jon bond oil consumption kit if there is room to fit it under hood.
Yeah it seems like it can potentially be a pain to try and create your own pressure relief system. More time, money, and the potential that it won't actually work. The filter I jb welded has now slipped off. Maybe I didn't clean and rough up the surface of the bleeder enough to get a good bond. Having it fall into the housing would not be good!

If you look at the pictures, the fill hole is right above the gears which probably slings fluid up and out of the fill hole pretty easily. I wonder if having the JB kit up at the fill whole will push fluid up into it and potentially leak out, specially since the kit will be horizontal. This is of course if there is even space for it to fit in there. It could potentially hit the hood on acceleration even if it just clears.

The place where there JB kit is placed on the side seems to be the best place because there is that semicircular aluminum casting that keeps the fluid from slinging into the kit.

Name:  received_535478753577007.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  129.6 KB
Name:  received_480465639100374.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  123.4 KB
Old 05-30-2019, 01:25 PM   #8424
BRZ_F

Quote:

Yeah man, I was trying to do a quick solution to help vent pressure without having to pull out the snout if I didn't need to. Seems like the fill hole might not be the best place based on the placement.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:57 PM   #8425
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
Yeah it seems like it can potentially be a pain to try and create your own pressure relief system. More time, money, and the potential that it won't actually work. The filter I jb welded has now slipped off. Maybe I didn't clean and rough up the surface of the bleeder enough to get a good bond. Having it fall into the housing would not be good!

If you look at the pictures, the fill hole is right above the gears which probably slings fluid up and out of the fill hole pretty easily. I wonder if having the JB kit up at the fill whole will push fluid up into it and potentially leak out, specially since the kit will be horizontal. This is of course if there is even space for it to fit in there. It could potentially hit the hood on acceleration even if it just clears.

The place where there JB kit is placed on the side seems to be the best place because there is that semicircular aluminum casting that keeps the fluid from slinging into the kit.

Attachment 178373
Attachment 178374
interesting never seen in one of those. would it be stupid to take that snout of with the charger/manifold and everything on the car? I got no issues with my kit so i dont know how much i want to mess with it, a quick easy solution i wouldn't mind. but if its easy to get the snout off with out having to take the manifold off, maybe ill consider.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:54 PM   #8426
BRZ_F

Quote:
interesting never seen in one of those. would it be stupid to take that snout of with the charger/manifold and everything on the car? I got no issues with my kit so i dont know how much i want to mess with it, a quick easy solution i wouldn't mind. but if its easy to get the snout off with out having to take the manifold off, maybe ill consider.
I think it's pretty easy to remove the snout while the sc is still on. Remove the belt and the 6 bolts and tapping off the snout. Then cleaning the surfaces and using an anaerobic gasket, that comes with the JB kit. It doesn't seem very hard, I was just trying to avoid having to do it. But it could be worth it to keep the seals from blowing out over time and having fluid get past them.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:52 PM   #8427
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Yeah man, I was trying to do a quick solution to help vent pressure without having to pull out the snout if I didn't need to. Seems like the fill hole might not be the best place based on the placement.
My buddy who did the install did it without taking the snout out I believe. Hell he might have even done with the SC still on? Let me ask him.

2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:05 PM   #8428
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
My buddy who did the install did it without taking the snout out I believe. Hell he might have even done with the SC still on? Let me ask him.

So he drilled and thread tapped the snout with it still on, got metal
shavings inside and now doesn’t have a supercharger anymore?

You can take snout off with leaving SC on manifold/installed to engine. Thread tap it and reinstall. Just sounds like a pain to do in order to fix something that may not even need fixing. Would be just a potential safety precaution.

Tags
2 whp better than n/a e85, 2 whp? you're an idiot., 2screwsbetterthan0screw, 65 whp better than na e85, bspt fittings ftl, hate u all me no have sc, im just here for the tags, inorite!, it's no turbo but, only big numbers matter, screwyou, whine sexier than turbo, whines_more_than_your_gf, wts grey market butthurt.