follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Xero Limit
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 10-25-2018, 03:17 PM   #1
JPxM0Dz
F Z1LLA

Drives: Lexus IS-F Series 2
Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,246 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Arrow The Honda Civic Type R Destroys The Competition - The Best Engines

Old 10-25-2018, 05:03 PM   #2
TylerLieberman

Drives: '16 WRB STI/ '17 Tacoma TRD
Thanked 2,325 Times in 1,154 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Still debating on whether or not to get one these. They're just sooooo good.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:37 PM   #3
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,195 Times in 811 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
At MSRP? Oh hell ya. Go get it tiger.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 02:07 PM   #4
TylerLieberman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
At MSRP? Oh hell ya. Go get it tiger.
Oh yeah. Would never pay markup on a vehicle; especially a Civic lol.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:40 PM   #5
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
If I was interested in a sedan, the Honda Accord Sport with the 2.0T would be up there.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:13 PM   #6
funwheeldrive

Drives: Firestorm Monogram
Thanked 2,898 Times in 1,359 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Wait for the MY19 for sure
Old 10-29-2018, 08:32 AM   #7
Tcoat
He who smelt it...

Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Thanked 76,861 Times in 34,836 Posts
Mentioned: 2026 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Meh. Still a Civic.
johan (03-18-2019), NWFRS (06-03-2019), Tokay444 (06-06-2019), Vic4uf (06-01-2019), why? (02-27-2019)
Old 10-29-2018, 10:11 AM   #8
unhappymeal

Drives: 2018 Miata RF, 2017 Golf R
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
It's well engineered. It drives great (the suspension is so oily smooth). At the end of the day though, it's still a FF car and it feels like it.

To address the specific video, the K20C1 is probably the best turbo inline-4 out there, but it's still a turbo inline-4. You can't walk five feet without smacking into a car with one under the hood.
unhappymeal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to unhappymeal For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-29-2018), WolfpackS2k (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 10:52 AM   #9
Sasquachulator

Drives: 2016 Scion iM, 2017 BMW X1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
depends on if you want a civic or not.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:24 AM   #10
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The engine might not be an issue, but the gearbox does seem to have some documented problems (grinding etc.).

Gotta say, Honda's recent offerings seem to have lost the reliability plot. A buddy has the Civic HB sport (1.5L turbo EarthDreams), and apparently many of them (similar to the CRV) have oil dilution issues (especially in colder climate areas).
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:42 AM   #11
unhappymeal

Drives: 2018 Miata RF, 2017 Golf R
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiheadjai View Post
The engine might not be an issue, but the gearbox does seem to have some documented problems (grinding etc.).

Gotta say, Honda's recent offerings seem to have lost the reliability plot. A buddy has the Civic HB sport (1.5L turbo EarthDreams), and apparently many of them (similar to the CRV) have oil dilution issues (especially in colder climate areas).
Grinding and synchro issues have been a staple of Honda's hot FWD offerings since the B18. My K20 Civic Si had to have the 3rd gear and synchro replaced since it would grind when cold and eventually started just popping out of gear.
unhappymeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:57 PM   #12
TylerLieberman

Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
Wait for the MY19 for sure
At this point, it would have to be an MY19.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Meh. Still a Civic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
depends on if you want a civic or not.
Always thought these were kind of stupid arguments. Of course it's still a Civic. Just like the WRX/STI is still an Impreza (regardless if they dropped the impreza name from it), the Focus ST/RS is still a Focus, and the GTI/R is still a Golf. This carries over even to BMW M vehicles and MB AMGs. Just like a Sig is still just a pistol and a 5 star sushi restaraunt is still just raw fish. I mean, obviously; but that doesn't really tell the whole story.

They all have their pros and cons. I have an '16 STI right now. Good car, but it has its shortcomings:

-Fuel economy is shit for a 4cyl
-Ride quality is meh
-Interior quality is meh
-Infotainment system sucks
-Engine has its share of shortcomings

It's a good car, and I still enjoy it. But for a daily driver, some of the things mentioned above become kind of annoying after a while. None of them are deal breakers, but they're things that become more apparent driving it day after day.

The CTR surpasses the STI in terms of performance, but is substantially better in every aspect I mentioned above, while having even more practicality as a hatchback. Yes, it's FWD, but it rotates far better than a WRX, STI, or Golf R does. For one car to do everything, I think it's a really compelling option; especially for myself and possibly having a kid in the next year or two.

I like the idea of a vehicle that can do everything you need to do during the week and be able to have fun at the track or on a good back road on the weekend. 86/BRZ is perfectly capable, but the lack of rear doors or usable rear seats limits some of the practicality. I know child seats fit in the rear, but there's no denying it's a PITA compared to managing one in a standard sedan with rear doors.

With regards to FWD vs whatever else. I've driven and owned multiple FWD, RWD, and AWD vehicles. Without a doubt, I prefer RWD over everything else. But I've driven some absolutely awesome FWD and AWD vehicles just as I've driven some terrible RWD cars.

There will always be limits and people will always have their preferences, but I have no affinity or loyalty to a specific manufacture or drivetrain layout. If it's a good car, it's a good car. If it drives/handles well, then it does. I don't think there's any denying that the new CTR handles extremely well. Like said above, there's limits and some things it will not ever be able to do because of the drivetrain layout, but the car is still damn impressive, especially in the performance category. Not even in a "it's good **for a FWD**" kind of way. It's just good lol.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:02 PM   #13
TylerLieberman

In all actuality, the fact is that the CTR is the vehicle checks the most boxes for what I want in an every day vehicle for sub 50k in today's market.

M3 is next, but even how I would option it (extremely base) the vehicle comes in at 70k, and after having worked for BMW, owning one of their vehicles out of warranty isn't very appealing to me.

Shame Toyota doesn't still make the Chaser lol. 4 doors, RWD, Turbo I6 with manual trans. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:11 PM   #14
Tcoat
He who smelt it...

Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Thanked 76,861 Times in 34,836 Posts
Mentioned: 2026 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Quote:
At this point, it would have to be an MY19.

Always thought these were kind of stupid arguments. Of course it's still a Civic. Just like the WRX/STI is still an Impreza (regardless if they dropped the impreza name from it), the Focus ST/RS is still a Focus, and the GTI/R is still a Golf. This carries over even to BMW M vehicles and MB AMGs. Just like a Sig is still just a pistol and a 5 star sushi restaraunt is still just raw fish. I mean, obviously; but that doesn't really tell the whole story.

They all have their pros and cons. I have an '16 STI right now. Good car, but it has its shortcomings:

-Fuel economy is shit for a 4cyl
-Ride quality is meh
-Interior quality is meh
-Infotainment system sucks
-Engine has its share of shortcomings

It's a good car, and I still enjoy it. But for a daily driver, some of the things mentioned above become kind of annoying after a while. None of them are deal breakers, but they're things that become more apparent driving it day after day.

The CTR surpasses the STI in terms of performance, but is substantially better in every aspect I mentioned above, while having even more practicality as a hatchback. Yes, it's FWD, but it rotates far better than a WRX, STI, or Golf R does. For one car to do everything, I think it's a really compelling option; especially for myself and possibly having a kid in the next year or two.

I like the idea of a vehicle that can do everything you need to do during the week and be able to have fun at the track or on a good back road on the weekend. 86/BRZ is perfectly capable, but the lack of rear doors or usable rear seats limits some of the practicality. I know child seats fit in the rear, but there's no denying it's a PITA compared to managing one in a standard sedan with rear doors.

With regards to FWD vs whatever else. I've driven and owned multiple FWD, RWD, and AWD vehicles. Without a doubt, I prefer RWD over everything else. But I've driven some absolutely awesome FWD and AWD vehicles just as I've driven some terrible RWD cars.

There will always be limits and people will always have their preferences, but I have no affinity or loyalty to a specific manufacture or drivetrain layout. If it's a good car, it's a good car. If it drives/handles well, then it does. I don't think there's any denying that the new CTR handles extremely well. Like said above, there's limits and some things it will not ever be able to do because of the drivetrain layout, but the car is still damn impressive, especially in the performance category. Not even in a "it's good **for a FWD**" kind of way. It's just good lol.
Wasn't an argument. Just a simple statement of fact. It is indeed still a Civic.
Tokay444 (06-06-2019), Vic4uf (06-01-2019)