follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 01-02-2017, 01:23 PM   #29
.RYAN
AWOLBRZ

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2086GT View Post
Just going to point out top tier racing classes are not using swan neck. So either they are doing it wrong, I don't know of some class rule against swan necks, or swan neck isn't even worth it. So I am going to say A.

Tell Porsche that.
.RYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to .RYAN For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (01-25-2017), Hyper4mance2k (02-04-2017), Insurme1 (01-03-2017)
Old 01-02-2017, 02:20 PM   #30
VerusEric

Drives: BRZ, STI, GT350R, Supra, 987.2
Thanked 2,529 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2086GT View Post
Just going to point out top tier racing classes are not using swan neck. So either they are doing it wrong, I don't know of some class rule against swan necks, or swan neck isn't even worth it. So I am going to say A.
Swan neck is superior for wing performance, there are plenty of blogs/articles/documentation about this. We may do our own blog at some point on it. In certain instances it doesn't make sense to have the added complexity of swan neck mounting or it is outlawed in regulations.

That's the inherent problem with judging off of what top tier racing teams do; they all have rules that govern what can and cannot be done to limit costs and performance. All too often enthusiasts get stuck on what a company did or didn't do and they don't understand that this company is making a compromise in performance to stay within class rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StegaDragon View Post
How about option #3 and go with a set up like the rocket bunny, less chances of distortion to the trunk, and leaking, then just develop something to brace the trunk to the chassis, like replacing the rubber stoppers with something that has less give and make it more direct transfer of Force to the chassis

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
We're looking into this style of mounting but I think it will be difficult to make it look good without the wing hanging pretty far rearward of the trunk. I believe this puts a wing like this out of classes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi788 View Post
Velox. what do you think about this idea? It seems like you could design a swan neck from this type of mount.

I still stand by my original post in which I stated that a "typical" trunk mount solution would be preferred. But this could be a plausible solution to create a swan neck design.
We're attempting to come up with something that mounts to the trunk while remaining rigid for the forces it will produce.

I picked up a spare trunk that I will be able to cut into and figure out rigidity on. Looking forward to getting something finalized, hopefully, within the next month and prototypes a few months after.

Thanks,
Eric
VerusEric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VerusEric For This Useful Post:
Jonsey (01-02-2017), Takumi788 (01-02-2017)
Old 01-02-2017, 04:10 PM   #31
StegaDragon

Drives: 13 Sc10n FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloxEric View Post
Swan neck is superior for wing performance, there are plenty of blogs/articles/documentation about this. We may do our own blog at some point on it. In certain instances it doesn't make sense to have the added complexity of swan neck mounting or it is outlawed in regulations.

That's the inherent problem with judging off of what top tier racing teams do; they all have rules that govern what can and cannot be done to limit costs and performance. All too often enthusiasts get stuck on what a company did or didn't do and they don't understand that this company is making a compromise in performance to stay within class rules.

We're looking into this style of mounting but I think it will be difficult to make it look good without the wing hanging pretty far rearward of the trunk. I believe this puts a wing like this out of classes.

We're attempting to come up with something that mounts to the trunk while remaining rigid for the forces it will produce.

I picked up a spare trunk that I will be able to cut into and figure out rigidity on. Looking forward to getting something finalized, hopefully, within the next month and prototypes a few months after.

Thanks,
Eric
Just curious would it affect the aero that much if the swan neck came from the back instead of the front

StegaDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:01 PM   #32
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,250 Times in 676 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Just curious would it affect the aero that much if the swan neck came from the back instead of the front
I had the same thought. It seems as if it could only help the aero.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 02:43 PM   #33
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:

Thanks,
Eric
For me a chassis mount isn't an option (at this time) as I require trunk access. Unless it folds back like the one posted above. I have the GReddy wing and love the look. Far superior to a wing that mounts to the top of the trunk.
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 04:53 PM   #34
.RYAN
AWOLBRZ

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
I have the GReddy wing and love the look. Far superior to a wing that mounts to the top of the trunk.
Can you post your data to back your claim.
.RYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:23 PM   #35
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by .RYAN View Post
Can you post your data to back your claim.
Far superior looking. If that's what you were getting at
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 04:58 PM   #36
VerusEric

Drives: BRZ, STI, GT350R, Supra, 987.2
Thanked 2,529 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
I had the same thought. It seems as if it could only help the aero.
We may be doing a blog post on swan neck vs. traditional mounting which would dive a bit deeper into this topic. In a nut shell, you want as little interference between mounting style and the bottom side of the wing, which is where the majority of the work is performed. This is why swan neck is beneficial. So coming from behind could net a similar benefit as coming from the front, dependent on the interaction between the mount and the bottom of the wing's flow.

Hope that makes some sense.

Thanks,
Eric
VerusEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:20 PM   #37
cjd

Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
We may be doing a blog post on swan neck vs. traditional mounting which would dive a bit deeper into this topic. In a nut shell, you want as little interference between mounting style and the bottom side of the wing, which is where the majority of the work is performed. This is why swan neck is beneficial. So coming from behind could net a similar benefit as coming from the front, dependent on the interaction between the mount and the bottom of the wing's flow.

Hope that makes some sense.

Thanks,
Eric
If my "learned from reading about WWII planes" engineering means anything (hah!) I might suspect that the further back you put disruptive elements in the air flow, the better it will perform... Probably wrong, but I'd be curious. I won't be sporting this kind of aero any time soon, regardless...
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:01 AM   #38
2086GT

Drives: 15 Scion FRS Halo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If this is mass market item and not just dedicated track car wing I would imagine swan would be cost prohibitive. I know it's beneficial it's benefit vs cost that will cause it to sink or swim. Then again the other companies could just be charging around a grand more due to "cool" tax.
2086GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:27 AM   #39
Takumi788
JHerbert Racing

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,186 Times in 593 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Garage
I figured I would share the "teaser" that is Velox's website. I'm excited.

- #813 2013 Scion FRS Build Thread
- JHerbert Racing Website

Last edited by Takumi788; 09-13-2017 at 07:59 PM.
Takumi788 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Takumi788 For This Useful Post:
CarzCarzCarz (01-24-2017), Hyper4mance2k (02-04-2017), jmimac351 (04-15-2017), VMRamos (04-15-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 07:18 PM   #40
Hyper4mance2k
Shadetree Project Ratchet

Drives: series.Blue
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
The more it looks like this the more likely I am to buy one.

Just trying to build a Subaru BRZ GT-Poor
batlwagn (02-14-2018), jmimac351 (04-15-2017), VMRamos (04-15-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 08:46 AM   #41
Mad1723

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Interested for sure.
Mad1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:42 PM   #42
Takumi788
JHerbert Racing

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,186 Times in 593 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Garage
I know your busy but are there any updates on wing development?
- #813 2013 Scion FRS Build Thread
- JHerbert Racing Website
Takumi788 is offline   Reply With Quote