follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 10-01-2012, 11:24 PM   #29
usptwins
Toyota Soul

Drives: 96 taco
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hell, i love the small low-end.... Its nice, as said before, for sneaking by anyone. This car was made to keep power up top...
Old 10-02-2012, 12:39 AM   #30
Coheed

Drives: DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chulooz View Post
You are simply making things up, I challenge you to give me one RELIABLE source. And this is not a 'previous Toyota' engine... the car, as a piece of craftsmanship, is a Subaru.

Yahama involvement was nothing but an old-school rumor.
Do you have a source that says it is a subaru head, designed from the ground up from subaru? Perhaps you are right, but hey, the transmission and rear end are all Toyota parts. What's so hard to believe about the heads having some Toyota development?

The ports, lifters, rocker assembly, all scream Yamaha to me. Perhaps Subaru just took all their good design queues.
Coheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:17 AM   #31
jdzumwalt
Motor Sports slut

Drives: 13 FRS, 2011 f150eco boost,
Yamaha has designed a lot of oem head for different manufactures. 3SGTE head for one, a very good Toyota head. Why would this be hard to be leave. This car is a hodge podge of different part's. I don't care who built what. The characteristic of the motor speak for it self. You can't reinvent the motor with a turbo period.

Secondly late boost on a high compression motor will save it from early torque detonation. This and good control over the direct injection timing.

I hope it's true because Yamaha gets it done.
jdzumwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:31 AM   #32
czar07

Drives: '97 RSP JZZ30 GT-T
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
A stock TT Supra running sequentially might start spooling at 2k, but a big Single sure doesn't!
yeah yeah I know. I was referring to you saying that if a turbo spools under 3k, it would be jerky for daily driving.

Germans>Japanese>Italians>Americans. Unless its a Corvette.
czar07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:57 AM   #33
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by czar07 View Post
yeah yeah I know. I was referring to you saying that if a turbo spools under 3k, it would be jerky for daily driving.
I guess in that regard, you're right... Although, 1-3psi at 2-3k RPM is kinda insignificant as well.

If somebody make a turbo that made a bar of boost at 2k RPM, that would certainly be jerky in DDing. Although, I'm not sure that can even be done...
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Guff For This Useful Post:
Nasty Sausage (03-27-2014)
Old 10-02-2012, 03:07 AM   #34
Synack
Boosted

Drives: Sideways
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
My tuner is working on power down low. Also the cams apparently are a bitch to tune and require extra hardware or software. Don't quote me on this.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Old 10-02-2012, 03:22 AM   #35
EN2_Squirrel

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I do not like turbo lag. However i do not think that when i would use that turbo (autocross, track days) that i will be spending much, if any, time below 3k rpm. I have autocrossed the car and it is easy to keep above 3k rpm, even though it was a tight course.
EN2_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:00 AM   #36
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdzumwalt View Post
Yamaha has designed a lot of oem head for different manufactures. 3SGTE head for one, a very good Toyota head. Why would this be hard to be leave. This car is a hodge podge of different part's. I don't care who built what. The characteristic of the motor speak for it self. You can't reinvent the motor with a turbo period.

Secondly late boost on a high compression motor will save it from early torque detonation. This and good control over the direct injection timing.

I hope it's true because Yamaha gets it done.
The FB20, the platform for the FA20 architecture, shares itself with the FA20 DIT which is a modified turbo platform of that similar engine. So indeed it can be done, and done well! 295tq 2000-4800rpm must be awesome.

Once again Yamaha has had nothing to do with this vehicle or its engine.

Last edited by chulooz; 10-03-2012 at 12:37 AM.
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:24 AM   #37
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage

That's what I call "massive turbine restriction", not "great torque". There are better ways to get that kind of boost, namely supercharging. A turbo's strong point is its efficiency when it has a nice big free flowing turbine, aka not low end.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:36 AM   #38
chulooz
Registered you sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
That's what I call "massive turbine restriction", not "great torque". There are better ways to get that kind of boost, namely supercharging. A turbo's strong point is its efficiency when it has a nice big free flowing turbine, aka not low end.
If ~300tq by 2k isn't 'great torque' than what does that make the 151tq from the FA20?

Turbine restriction?
Old 10-03-2012, 12:40 AM   #39
serialk11r

Garage
Quote:
If ~300tq by 2k isn't 'great torque' than what does that make the 151tq from the FA20?

Turbine restriction?
It's great torque thanks to great turbine restriction. Well, at 2k that engine is doing okay, but that flat line is because the wastegate is blowing off a massive amount of pressure to prevent the engine from blowing up. Aka, wasting a lot of power. At that point, a supercharger is the more sound option, although I do admit that they're a little more difficult to design.

I guess the appeal of a turbo is that you only need to worry about plumbing and you can control the boost pretty easily, but take transient response into account and it makes very little sense the way most turbo setups are done. Sure, they get the job done, but not in the best way.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:51 AM   #40
chulooz
Registered you sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
It's great torque thanks to great turbine restriction. Well, at 2k that engine is doing okay, but that flat line is because the wastegate is blowing off a massive amount of pressure to prevent the engine from blowing up. Aka, wasting a lot of power. At that point, a supercharger is the more sound option, although I do admit that they're a little more difficult to design.

I guess the appeal of a turbo is that you only need to worry about plumbing and you can control the boost pretty easily, but take transient response into account and it makes very little sense the way most turbo setups are done. Sure, they get the job done, but not in the best way.
I suppose 'the best' is relative to the user and plans... its a lot more fun swapping tunes compared to pulleys; and the aftermarket/OEM support for these turbo systems keeps most of it reliable/predictable.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:30 AM   #41
serialk11r

Garage
Quote:
I suppose 'the best' is relative to the user and plans... its a lot more fun swapping tunes compared to pulleys; and the aftermarket/OEM support for these turbo systems keeps most of it reliable/predictable.
Yea, that's what I was referring to, a turbo kit's behavior can be modified by valves and programming, and that's certainly a good thing for the hobbyist, but in a lot of cases a supercharger would provide closer to ideal performance characteristics.