follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-18-2019, 06:45 PM   #1
Mulletsnax

Drives: 2016 brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Time attack BRZ

I have a super low mileage brz that im considering to tear apart to compete in the Gridlife TA series in 2020. i contemplated swaps and i think id rather just send the FA to my engine builder and have a 500ish turbo build for the season.

the only issue is the trans. are people swapping these? adapter plates to mate up other trans? i have a cd009 from my turbo 350z days in my garage. those are bulletproof. i cant find anything on the internet.

id appreciate any advice.

the plan is to build for track mod. i dont have a desire to run in street.
Mulletsnax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mulletsnax For This Useful Post:
Strife26 (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 08:31 PM   #2
Strife26

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.blue
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Probably not the guy with the right answers but I know the trans is replaced often enough in these things and aren't great for the higher hp builds iirc.

If no one provides an answer I'd watch some of the YouTube vids with fully built twins. They'd probably give you an idea as to how they handle the trans situation (if there is one).

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2019, 10:46 PM   #3
Sevs753

Drives: BRZ, Canyon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Glad to see another twin joining the Gridlife Time Attack field. I'm running in street class again this year.

As far as the trans goes, at that power level, I would at least upgrade the synchros. As far as i know, those are the biggest issue people have with the trans.

I thought I read something about an adapter to use the cd009 but I don't have solid proof.

edit: looks like its possible but likely requires modifications to the trans tunnel since the cd009 is bigger.

https://www.pureautomotiveperformanc...-frs-brz-gt86/

https://www.mazworx.com/mazworx-favq...t-frs/brz.aspx
Sevs753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:55 PM   #4
Mulletsnax

Drives: 2016 brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ill do whatever mods i have to. Im not a good fabricator so i rely on off the shelf parts. You run into any issues with your twin? Any weakness i should address?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevs753 View Post
Glad to see another twin joining the Gridlife Time Attack field. I'm running in street class again this year.

As far as the trans goes, at that power level, I would at least upgrade the synchros. As far as i know, those are the biggest issue people have with the trans.

I thought I read something about an adapter to use the cd009 but I don't have solid proof.

edit: looks like its possible but likely requires modifications to the trans tunnel since the cd009 is bigger.

https://www.pureautomotiveperformanc...-frs-brz-gt86/

Mulletsnax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:24 AM   #5
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
First step, sell the low mileage car and buy something with a blown engine or higher mileage. You're going to be rebuilding so much of it that it that you can probably make a couple thousand on the deal easily.

Second step, look into heat management for a turbo build like that, make sure it works with any aero you have planned.

The CD009 kit doesn't require extensive modifications to the tunnel, remove old brackets and weld on new ones: https://www.mazworx.com/Docs/60150-F...dapter-Kit.pdf
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (01-22-2019), kch (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 02:58 PM   #6
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Drives: Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
looks like you'll be joining me. I have plans for street mod with GL in 2020. Turbo build too. You'll most likely be in street mod too. If you swap, you're automatically in trackmod and those dudes are in a whole different ball game. Street mod is already extremely competitive. Both Jackie Ding and Dewey moved up from Street class to compete in Street mod. So you'll most likely be battling them and whomever is already the holder in SM just as an FYI.

highly recommend getting Verus' radiator. I have it and it's amazing. +1 on heat management. I've gotten a turbo blanket, but have been meaning to wrap my hot parts on top of the coating it already has. Hood vents, if you don't already have them. Lastly, some form of ducting is always good for your oil cooler/intercooler setup you'll have. I can't comment on trans. My build is roughly at 325-350whp if I could guess. So far the trans has held up for 3 years at the track, 2 of it being supercharged, 1 of it being turbod.

good luck with your build!
pgranberg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pgranberg11 For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (01-22-2019), Shark_Bait88 (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 03:35 PM   #7
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulletsnax View Post
the only issue is the trans. are people swapping these? adapter plates to mate up other trans? i have a cd009 from my turbo 350z days in my garage. those are bulletproof. i cant find anything on the internet.
Mazworx makes a CD009 conversion kit.

kch is offline   Reply With Quote