follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 07-28-2017, 08:46 AM   #1
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
ARP vs Dorman studs

I'm trying to decide which to choose for my wheel stud upgrade / maintenance, ARP or Dorman? Pretty big price difference. Just going for the stock size for install, for oem wheel sizes. Helpful thoughts or comments appreciated.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:47 AM   #2
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ARP are an upgrade, Dorman is an OE style replacement and of good quality.

I stock Dorman studs for my customers who have maintenance issues, and order ARP parts routinely.

ARP studs on my FXT, stock on my BRZ for now.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:52 PM   #3
RJasonKlein

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
I'm trying to decide which to choose for my wheel stud upgrade / maintenance, ARP or Dorman? Pretty big price difference. Just going for the stock size for install, for oem wheel sizes. Helpful thoughts or comments appreciated.
What issue are you trying to address by replacing the OEM studs in the first place? I'm not questioning the need to do so in general (I have ARP studs on my car), but I'm basically questioning if you're replacing the OEM studs due to cross threading or corrosion, or because you broke one and need a stronger stud. The bottom line is the Dorman stud is similar to OEM in quality and the ARP stud is of superior quality and quite a bit tougher - you have to choose based on your needs.
RJasonKlein is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RJasonKlein For This Useful Post:
kch (08-01-2017), radroach (07-30-2017)