follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-11-2017, 01:54 PM   #1
SolderGlob

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy DTC: P0335, P0011, P0345, P0340

I picked up a used '13 FR-S a couple of months ago and have been loving it ever since... Well, up until a few days ago and I'm hoping you guys and gals can help me out.

A couple of days ago I was on my way to work on the interstate and I noticed the car was making a 'chirping' noise from under the hood. Luckily I wasn't that far from my destination when the noise cropped up. I got to work and popped the hood to see if I could locate the sound and it appeared to originate from the belt. I noticed that the tensioner pulley was bouncing up and down which coincided with the squeaks so I figured I'd thrown a bearing on the alternator, A/C, or some other device and I'd inspect it further when I got home. I never made it home with a running car....

On my way I was going to pass a car when the REAL issue popped up. First the car went into limp mode (CEL, slip warning lights) and then a few minutes later when I tapped the gas and the car revved but didn't accelerate. I immediately switched to the left lane and got onto the shoulder of the interstate. Once I got to the shoulder I put the car into park and the motor shut down as if it was overloaded. I went to go to start it and nada. I can hear the starter whirring away, but it doesn't seem to want to engage the flywheel. Interesting, yeah?

I was able to pull the error codes from it: P0335, P0011, P0345, P0340 which are camshaft/crankshaft position sensor errors. But this doesn't line up with the issues I experienced right before the car died because it was running fine, it just wasn't moving. No other DTCs were found.

So, does anyone have any insight they may be able to share as to what the issue may be, or have had similar issues?
SolderGlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:32 PM   #2
Chronology

Drives: 13' Satin White Pearl BRZ
Here is a break down on the codes - http://ft86tech.com/frs-brz-error-codes/

P0335,P0336 CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR “A” CIRCUIT
P000A,P000C,P0011,P0012 CAMSHAFT POSITION “A” – TIMING SLOW RESPONSE BANK 1
P0340,P0341,P0345,P0346 CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION

From you post I know you already have read up on this. A few things come to mind:

1. What oil viscosity are you using?
2. Have you done a full ECM reset?
3. Are you running a tune?
4. Check out - S-SB-0033-13 - http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45844

From the Service Log -

Some 2013 model year FR-S vehicles may exhibit intake and/or exhaust camshaft position sensor
related and/or engine misfire DTCs (P0340, P0341, P0345, P0346, P0365, P0366, P0390, P0391,
P0301, P0302, P0303, and P0304) due to the camshaft position sensor clearance being out of
specification. In addition, some vehicles may also experience rough idle or extended cranking. This
bulletin provides inspection and repair procedures to address this condition
RS*R Sport-I w/custom spring rate / Cusco Front/Rear Sways, Cusco Diff Brace / Cusco Power Brace (Rear/Front/Upper/Lower) / JDL UEL Headers / INVIDIA Q300 Ti / Valenti Revo Tails and rear backup/ EcuTek / Moto-East Flexfuel / Moto-East E85 tune
Chronology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:50 PM   #3
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Tensioner pulley is meant to move, video below.
Chirping could be a belt, or it could be normal operation noise, hard to tell.

Just so you don't go chasing something that's not a problem.
I'd pursue the TSB above, with a dealer if you don't want to DIY, if you're under 60k miles it should be a free fix, regardless of whether you're the first owner or not.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st2H0S8_wko"]Scion FR-S adjustment belt pulley tensioner - YouTube[/ame]
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:54 PM   #4
SolderGlob

Quote:
From you post I know you already have read up on this. A few things come to mind:

1. What oil viscosity are you using?
2. Have you done a full ECM reset?
3. Are you running a tune?
4. Check out - S-SB-0033-13 - http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45844

From the Service Log -

Some 2013 model year FR-S vehicles may exhibit intake and/or exhaust camshaft position sensor
related and/or engine misfire DTCs (P0340, P0341, P0345, P0346, P0365, P0366, P0390, P0391,
P0301, P0302, P0303, and P0304) due to the camshaft position sensor clearance being out of
specification. In addition, some vehicles may also experience rough idle or extended cranking. This
bulletin provides inspection and repair procedures to address this condition
1. I'm not sure what oil they put in when I bought and I haven't put enough miles on it to warrant an oil change, >3k miles on it in the ~2 months that I've had it.
2. NO ECM reset, I'm not sure how to do that.
3. No tune. The car is stock at this point(don't worry, i'll change that sometime soon, maybe)
4. I did read that the other night when I pulled the codes. But it doesn't add up since the symptoms don't seem to match up with the error codes. My thought, and there isn't much documentation on this, but it seems to me that trying to start the car MAY have caused those DTCs.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:00 PM   #5
SolderGlob

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Tensioner pulley is meant to move, video below.
Chirping could be a belt, or it could be normal operation noise, hard to tell.

Just so you don't go chasing something that's not a problem.
I'd pursue the TSB above, with a dealer if you don't want to DIY, if you're under 60k miles it should be a free fix, regardless of whether you're the first owner or not.

It only has ~36k on it. I'm having it towed to a Toyota dealer to have them service it since it's still under warranty. It just seems odd that a camshaft sensor would not allow the car to turn over.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:30 PM   #6
Chronology

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolderGlob View Post
It only has ~36k on it. I'm having it towed to a Toyota dealer to have them service it since it's still under warranty. It just seems odd that a camshaft sensor would not allow the car to turn over.
From my brief reading, it seems that if the cam physical position is too advanced or retarded the car will rough start, fail to start or something in the middle. So the sensor says one thing to the ECM but physically it's in a diffrent position.
RS*R Sport-I w/custom spring rate / Cusco Front/Rear Sways, Cusco Diff Brace / Cusco Power Brace (Rear/Front/Upper/Lower) / JDL UEL Headers / INVIDIA Q300 Ti / Valenti Revo Tails and rear backup/ EcuTek / Moto-East Flexfuel / Moto-East E85 tune
Old 01-11-2017, 08:56 PM   #7
SolderGlob

I got a call from the dealer and it's a bad flywheel. Luckily it's still under the manufacturers power train warranty so it won't be as expensive as I thought it would be.

Thanks for your help!
Old 01-11-2017, 09:21 PM   #8
Chronology

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolderGlob View Post
I got a call from the dealer and it's a bad flywheel. Luckily it's still under the manufacturers power train warranty so it won't be as expensive as I thought it would be.

Thanks for your help!
Just out of curiosity, did you have or feel any gear slippage? Burnt toast? Are they going to check the clutch?

Glad they are fixing it.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:37 PM   #9
SolderGlob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronology View Post
Just out of curiosity, did you have or feel any gear slippage? Burnt toast? Are they going to check the clutch?

Glad they are fixing it.
This is an AT model. The only think I noticed was lag and hard downshifting into 1st gear.