follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-21-2019, 06:39 PM   #15
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskoka800 View Post
This is why you see members parting out their mod's prior to selling. Make it stock again and deceive potential buyers.
Yeah, that bothers me a lot when I see people doing that in here. If I was buying a used sporty car and seen it was owned by a younger male,
I would just pass no matter what the price was. It's not worth the risk involved. Brand new or CPO is the only way to go unless you like to gamble.

As far as the OPs question anything that conveys the sense that a youth owns/drives it does not help the car at all. So stance, bags, ridiculous wide wheels,
stickers, big wings, cuttings into any body work for vents/bodykits, stick on/bolt on aero garbage, loud paint/wraps/dip and the big one forced induction
is all out and either dates the car or makes the car lose value in the long run.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Impureclient For This Useful Post:
Rampage (07-22-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 07:14 PM   #16
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Wheels will age well! Because even if they aren't your style, they are easily replaceable and can drastically change how you feel about the car.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:17 PM   #17
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Never gonna sell so it won't matter.. but I agree OEM+ builds and tasteful reversible mods.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
Rampage (07-22-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 10:28 PM   #18
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
I put a Kenwood DNX-something with GPS Navigation System and AUX/USB/BT/SiriusXm/HD Radio in my base model 2013 FR-S when I first got it.

Yep, now that one country western station that I listen to comes in loud and clear -

Plus, the GPS system helps me find my way home when I get lost -

I figure that mod would be a selling point at least.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
kludger (08-24-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 11:32 PM   #19
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
The trick is to flip before they "age".

On topic, for resale?: sensible exhaust, not loud, keep the cats.

Decent 17" Jap rims, not to big though, I would say 8-9" max, that gives good range from 225-245, there is about 4 rims that you should pick IMO.

Tyres are consumables, so whatever.

Window tint, looks good, keeps interior from fading.

Don't get body kits or different headlights or tail lights, you might like them, but others don't.

Don't swap steering wheels or seats, dont rear seat delete.

No roll cages or harnesses

Don't buy cheap coilovers or suspension parts.

Don't put solid/pillowball bushing in.

Don't do anything that increases NVH that isn't reversible.

TL;DR: good resale = keep it stock or return to stock to sell.

Me, I modify everything, sell everything I take off, or put it in a bin, tune it to within a inch of its life, then.........take the hit at resale.

In the end its a cheap little sports car that was made to be beaten on and flipped.

Unless you are keeping it forever and its the best car in the world, to which I would say, put the pipe down.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
enderw88 (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 09:54 AM   #20
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
Yeah, that bothers me a lot when I see people doing that in here. If I was buying a used sporty car and seen it was owned by a younger male,
I would just pass no matter what the price was. It's not worth the risk involved. Brand new or CPO is the only way to go unless you like to gamble.

As far as the OPs question anything that conveys the sense that a youth owns/drives it does not help the car at all. So stance, bags, ridiculous wide wheels,
stickers, big wings, cuttings into any body work for vents/bodykits, stick on/bolt on aero garbage, loud paint/wraps/dip and the big one forced induction
is all out and either dates the car or makes the car lose value in the long run.
I disagree that age is as big a factor as you state. There are young guys that treat their cars like royalty and older guys that drive the living crap out of them. Not going to name people but there are young guys on here where I would pay top dollar for their cars and some "older" ones where I wouldn't touch it if you paid me to take it. Instead of focusing on age and preconceived connotations related to it I would look at the quality of mods and obvious condition of the vehicle. Does it have a cheap ass Ebay body kit and turbo that was slapped together in a driveway or a well know brand that shows a professional level of installation? Can the previous service record be confirmed in some manner or is it a case of "I promise I changed the oil at some point"? Are the fender liners all clipped properly in place or are the holes torn and they are held on with zip ties even though the car supposedly has never seen a cone? There are hundreds of little things that can be looked at even when the car has been modified that are a much better indicator of how it was treated than the age of the owner.
ANY mod with the exception of those that cut holes in the body can be easily be reversed if they were done properly in the first place. People keep focusing on things like wheels and exhausts which are almost meaningless in the world of car modification. Hell, there are guys on here that have had 6 or 7 different exhaust setups on their car so why would we even consider how those things will be considered in the future? Fashions come and go and luckily cars are not stuck the way they are when bought be it stock or modified.
Dadhawk (07-22-2019), Rampage (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 10:08 AM   #21
Th3rdSun

Drives: 2013 FR-S MT Hot Lava
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post

Decent 17" Jap rims, not to big though, I would say 8-9" max, that gives good range from 225-245, there is about 4 rims that you should pick IMO.

Window tint, looks good, keeps interior from fading.

I was just driving down the street this morning before even seeing this thread thinking that these cars are so much better looking with tint.Doesn't even matter how dark of tint either.

The first thing I did was get wider wheels in this car. Those ten speed bike tires are a joke. I'd rather have grip than be able to kick the tail out with little effort.Plus,the stock wheels look terrible,imo(current year isn't so bad,though).

I think a really good inexpensive mod that would be well worth the money is to throw in a short shifter. Short shifter and wider wheels will instantly change the driving dynamics of this car without ever even cracking open the hood.
Th3rdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:04 AM   #22
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I'd say anything that keeps the car looking mostly stock or close to it while adding marginal, reliable performance enhancements.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:04 AM   #23
NARFALICIOUS

Drives: '88 Supra 1JZ, '16 FR-S, '23 GR86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskoka800 View Post
We all want extreme suspension and power mods but to a buyer these indicate an abused vehicle and drive down value, even though the mod's may have cost thousands and improve the performance.
This is why you see members parting out their mod's prior to selling. Make it stock again and deceive potential buyers.
Other than engine mods which one could argue put more stress on the engine, taking off the suspension would actually preserve those stock components so I don't think that's that deceitful

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
Never gonna sell so it won't matter.. but I agree OEM+ builds and tasteful reversible mods.

Me either. FR-S 4lyfe!!

For real though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
I disagree with the "no matter what the price". There is always a market for a car, even from totaled vehicles to swapped vehicles, to lightly modded, to granny-drove-it-stock-OEM.
As long as the body/chassis is straight, not rusted, and decent paint, anything else is fixable. It depends more on the person buying it and what they can and are willing to fix. About the only thing not reversible to stock is these widebody cuts. Although if it is tastefully done, there is someone willing to buy it somewhere, just depends on price.

Quote:
or makes the car lose value in the long run.
If one plans to mod a vehicle at all, please don't buy it in hopes it will retain resale value! Consider it a sunken cost, put your money in high yield savings, stocks, 401k and other business ventures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post

Me, I modify everything, sell everything I take off, or put it in a bin, tune it to within a inch of its life, then.........take the hit at resale.

In the end its a cheap little sports car that was made to be beaten on and flipped.

Unless you are keeping it forever and its the best car in the world, to which I would say, put the pipe down.
I don't smoke so it must be the pure catless exhaust that's messing with my brain, but I plan to keep it forever and it is the best car!!

NARFALICIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:10 AM   #24
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,981 Times in 2,197 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Garage
Last year Counts Kustoms acquired a beautiful OEM 240Z survivor.
What they did to it made me cry into my salted groat mush.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:14 AM   #25
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
Link?

2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:22 AM   #26
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Drives: 17 White 860. RCE Tarmac 2. RE-71RS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Likely the stuff directly from Toyota and Subaru. After that, nothing but the high end bits would likely seen any sort of return. I wouldn't even look at a car with BCs on it...
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:22 AM   #27
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
What they do to most cars can be depressing!
Dadhawk (07-22-2019), Rampage (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 11:29 AM   #28
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,981 Times in 2,197 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Garage
Season 7 episode 11 I think.
There's a YT that looks pirated and ruins it even more.