follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List
7thgear, CSG Mike, gramicci101, Porsche, strat61caster, wparsons

Old 10-27-2014, 08:18 AM   #29
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmong337 View Post
A lot of my issues have to do with the drive by wire too.
I think this is true for me too. I'm used to the clutch, but the throttle pedal has a dead spot in the first 5% of movement.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
hmong337 (10-27-2014), strat61caster (10-27-2014)
Old 10-27-2014, 09:15 AM   #30
Wepeel

Drives: '13 BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The clutch is weird. I'm not so sure if it's a travel issue more than it is a feel issue - it has kind of an ambiguous engagement. I put in a thicker clutch stopper that doesn't let the pedal travel much once it completely disengages. This makes it quite a bit better. Still not a lot of feel but at least I know it starts engaging almost immediately once I lift off the pedal.
Wepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:52 AM   #31
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
I think this is true for me too. I'm used to the clutch, but the throttle pedal has a dead spot in the first 5% of movement.
Yes! I just can't seem to get the pedal modulation right for a smooth gas/clutch release. I'm still inconsistent with driving smoothly. This is my first DBW car and I absolutely hate it. All the older style cars like my mr2, I'm super smooth. Drive-by-cable ftw!
Old 10-27-2014, 10:01 AM   #32
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmong337 View Post
Yes! I just can't seem to get the pedal modulation right for a smooth gas/clutch release. I'm still inconsistent with driving smoothly. This is my first DBW car and I absolutely hate it. All the older style cars like my mr2, I'm super smooth. Drive-by-cable ftw!
Agree I loved having throttle cables on my old cars. Made smooth take-offs and shifts much more intuitive, especially heel-toe in normal street driving.

I feel like with the 5% dead-zone on the FR-S, I'll "heel" the throttle slightly and get nothing. Then push the throttle slightly more and get too much response for the downshift.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
FeRS (03-01-2022), hmong337 (10-27-2014)
Old 10-27-2014, 10:06 AM   #33
flippy

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
i dont know if this is what you guys are talking about but have any of you guys tried this?

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8040

it adjusts the clutch pedal so there is less travel and you dont need to push in as far as before. I tried it and it works well.
flippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:52 AM   #34
JPFr-s

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Everyone having issues with driving smooth, have you tried adjusting the seat slightly? Maybe it's just your seating position throwing you off.

I don't find it hard at all to drive these cars smoothly, even in sandals or big heavy hiking boots.

I'm with you. I've got 28k on the ticker and can't remember stalling it once. Pretty easy clutch to master in any type of footwear...
JPFr-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:38 PM   #35
Phantobe

Drives: 14 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Subbing to this thread for sure!

This is my first manual but it feels odd to me, I did the clutch pedal adjustment so that the brake & clutch are pretty much parallel to each other. I grew up on motorcycles have been riding since I was 16 (legally on the road) so I fully understand how to drive a manual.

Still though even with less dead travel, the "feel" isn't there for me & as others have mentioned that deadzone on the gas pedal doesn't help either. I'm still kinda frightened by hills lol, I can't imagine parallel parking on a very steeply inclined street in LA.

Unsure about removing the clutch spring, I feel as if I may regret it because you can get stuck in traffic a lot down here.

2014 Ultramarine Scion FR-S
2000 Integra LS - SOLD
Phantobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:51 PM   #36
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
No, it's nothing like that. When I first got the car, I rambled about adjusting it so I could roll through engagement pivoting on my heel. I get a strong read from those responding in kind that we all are used to a much narrower engagement arc (window, whatever it's called).

My gut says a lot of clutches are getting fried because of this.
My list of MT cars driven is pretty short, but I have never driven a car with a clutch that operates as you describe (pivot off the heel) and the Toyobaru is among the shortest clutch travels I've experienced. What car are you comparing this to?

I've driven cars with longer travels, cars with engagement points just off the floor and cars where the clutch pedal is just a formality that isn't always required.

All in all, every car is going to 'feel' different, I just adjusted to it and I really don't have many complaints, maybe if I drive something like you speak of I'll change my tune. My only complaint is that there isn't much feedback once you hit the engagement point, you really have to be looking for it.

If I was going to change one thing about this car it'd be drive by wire, but now that I'm thinking about it I have a hunch that you need it for D4-S...

Edit: For clarity I haven't changed anything about my car since I got it, I could foresee adjusting the pedal closer to the floor but a prior experience of the hydraulics failing and excess clutch travel giving me just enough clutch action to bump it home in rush hour traffic has me not in a rush to change it.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:53 PM   #37
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
easy to drive, yes.

Easy to feel? F no

I hate the clutch in this car. There's about as much feeling from the clutch in this car as poking at the pedals with a broomstick.

As far as a clutch delay valve/type thing I dont think there is one. I just think the slave is too big, or the master is too small.

@Phantobe
After removing the spring, it does get stiffer...but you get used to it very quickly. Never once after removing the spring have I got into my car and thought, "gee, the clutch pedal sure is stiff"
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to continuecrushing For This Useful Post:
hmong337 (10-27-2014), Ultramaroon (10-27-2014)
Old 10-27-2014, 05:23 PM   #38
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,522 Times in 18,923 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
My list of MT cars driven is pretty short, but I have never driven a car with a clutch that operates as you describe (pivot off the heel) and the Toyobaru is among the shortest clutch travels I've experienced. What car are you comparing this to?

I've driven cars with longer travels, cars with engagement points just off the floor and cars where the clutch pedal is just a formality that isn't always required.
Pretty short list of hoopties I've owned but I've driven many types and sizes. Come to think of it, I've driven a couple trucks with clutches that feel like the Twin, where it will drag through a looooong arc and then grab at the very last few degrees.

Quote:
All in all, every car is going to 'feel' different, I just adjusted to it and I really don't have many complaints, maybe if I drive something like you speak of I'll change my tune. My only complaint is that there isn't much feedback once you hit the engagement point, you really have to be looking for it.
I think we're on the same page and I'm just being a ninny about it. Just so annoying because it keeps tricking me!

Quote:
Edit: For clarity I haven't changed anything about my car since I got it, I could foresee adjusting the pedal closer to the floor but a prior experience of the hydraulics failing and excess clutch travel giving me just enough clutch action to bump it home in rush hour traffic has me not in a rush to change it.
Yup. Bound to happen. I've always defeated the clutch switch so I can start the car in gear and shift old-school.

Anyhow, thanks to everyone who responded. I know there have been lots of discussions on the topic but none have really addressed the possibility of changing the "gearing" of the clutch pedal. I'll share if/when I get around to tinkering.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:26 PM   #39
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutter View Post
easy to drive, yes.

Easy to feel? F no

I hate the clutch in this car. There's about as much feeling from the clutch in this car as poking at the pedals with a broomstick.

As far as a clutch delay valve/type thing I dont think there is one. I just think the slave is too big, or the master is too small.

@Phantobe
After removing the spring, it does get stiffer...but you get used to it very quickly. Never once after removing the spring have I got into my car and thought, "gee, the clutch pedal sure is stiff"
Thank you! This isn't over. Grrrrr!!!
Old 10-27-2014, 05:29 PM   #40
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Pretty short list of hoopties I've owned but I've driven many types and sizes. Come to think of it, I've driven a couple trucks with clutches that feel like the Twin, where it will drag through a looooong arc and then grab at the very last few degrees.
So you're hunting for something you've never experienced?
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:36 PM   #41
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
So you're hunting for something you've never experienced?
No. Sorry. Maybe I wasn't being clear. Just about every other car I've driven, bike I've ridden, had a much narrower arc between touch and full engagement, cable or hydraulic, doesn't matter. I've been able to adjust all my vehicles to my liking without ever messing with the pedal-to-throwout ratio. (I'm sure there's a term for that).

I want that feeling back! There's no excuse for this, of all cars, to have a mushy clutch.

Edit: Here's my list again: 75 beetle, 76 Chevette, 78 B210 hatchback, 70 240Z, 91 Eclipse

Should I also mention the Ferguson TO-30 tractor and the 61 beetle my dad gave me to drive around when I was 9? (just some background)
Old 10-27-2014, 07:48 PM   #42
vividracing

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,065 Times in 617 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Id have to agree these are one of the more unusual clutches I have every driven...
vividracing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vividracing For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (10-27-2014)