follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-19-2012, 11:17 AM   #99
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
so how many autocross or time-attack first places have you had in that 600 hp supra?
Old 03-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #100
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Must....remain....silent....

Interesting. I'm going to assume that you guys were part of that little session.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadflyii View Post
it is too expensive base, the compression ratio is too high, the internals are too weak, it is N/A, and pretty small.
The same can be said for the Elise, and yet they've acquitted themselves as quite capable track cars.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #101
Future

Drives: BRZ!
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
hmmm....

well this is all and good.... calling this a "tuner car" is reaching... a lot in fact.

it is too expensive base, the compression ratio is too high, the internals are too weak, it is N/A, and pretty small.

Sure you can bolt on a fart can exhaust, header, intake, MAYBE tune it a bit, and pick up 10-15 horse power, perhaps even 20, but a stock Gen coupe (either of them) r-spec will still walk all over you, both around a track and in a straight line.

Now if you drop 25k+ and build the motor, go FI, and do all the supporting mods you will make 400-500hp and kick ass, but honestly it still is nothing to write home about.
Well, maybe you are not the target audience for this car? I could not care less that this car makes 200 or 400hp... I'm all about handling, having fun around the track with my friends and beating my personal lap times while fine tuning the suspension, braking system, etc...

The fact that the only things you did not mention in your "tuning list" are the suspension and the brakes tells me a lot on the type of customer/driver you are. In every single events I went in my life, I would be faster than the other guys only because of my suspension and braking setup. (talking about an IS300 vs Gen3.8, GTI, some Porsche and the funniest one, a Viper).

That could be the reason I'm heading toward the BRZ too, seems like a more mature audience.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #102
Gadflyii

Drives: Cleaned out the garage!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Gadflyii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future View Post
Well, maybe you are not the target audience for this car? I could not care less that this car makes 200 or 400hp... I'm all about handling, having fun around the track with my friends and beating my personal lap times while fine tuning the suspension, braking system, etc...

The fact that the only things you did not mention in your "tuning list" are the suspension and the brakes tells me a lot on the type of customer/driver you are. In every single events I went in my life, I would be faster than the other guys only because of my suspension and braking setup. (talking about an IS300 vs Gen3.8, GTI, some Porsche and the funniest one, a Viper).

That could be the reason I'm heading toward the BRZ too, seems like a more mature audience.

HAHA... you have no idea what kind of driver or customer I am... to assume so is obtuse.

As to what you said.. the suspension appears to be well tuned already, and the balance appears to already be there. Granted if you change the un-sprung weight and put sticker tires on the car you may need to adjust it slightly to maintain that balance.. but at this point... not really sure what is to be gained from changing the suspension components.

Brakes, sure, you will need better brakes in order to track the FR-S/BRZ, but from what I can tell a set of xp8/10's will take care of the fade.

No doubt you CAN tune the FR-S, my only point is calling it a tuners delight is a bit of a reach.
Gadflyii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #103
Gadflyii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
The same can be said for the Elise, and yet they've acquitted themselves as quite capable track cars.
I am hardly a Lotus nut, but I am pretty sure the Elise is 800-1000lbs lighter than the F-RS, and has a 220hp Supercharged Toyota engine?
Old 03-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #104
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Interesting. I'm going to assume that you guys were part of that little session.
We've dropped a few hints on our facebook page, but we reeeeally need to stay quiet for a few more days. It's actually really difficult to do. But we were not a part of this session (and that is okay).

Myles is pulling me away from the computer now. See you guys in a few days!

- drew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #105
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Drives: Yamaha R3, moonslate 2018 GT Black
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
hmmm....

well this is all and good.... calling this a "tuner car" is reaching... a lot in fact.

Sure you can bolt on a fart can exhaust, header, intake, MAYBE tune it a bit, and pick up 10-15 horse power, perhaps even 20, but a stock Gen coupe (either of them) r-spec will still walk all over you, both around a track and in a straight line.

Now if you drop 25k+ and build the motor, go FI, and do all the supporting mods you will make 400-500hp and kick ass, but honestly it still is nothing to write home about.
saying this car isn't worthy of being called a tuner car on a forum dedicated to this car is troll bait, if you ask me. just because it's small and n/a means it can't be a tuner car? 25k base is too expensive for a tuner car? where does this guy get this crap?
cyde01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #106
Gadflyii

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyde01 View Post
saying this car isn't worthy of being called a tuner car on a forum dedicated to this car is troll bait, if you ask me. just because it's small and n/a means it can't be a tuner car? 25k base is too expensive for a tuner car? where does this guy get this crap?
Not trolling, and I didn't say it can't be a tuner car, just said saying it is a tuner's delight is a reach.

My point with the 25k base is not that it was too much money, it was that from a tuner standpoint, it is a lot money for what you get. Since it is N/A the cost to tune the car will be greater. So you pay more to get into the platform, get little to work with, then will have to pay a lot more to really tune it. ... Nothing more.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:37 PM   #107
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Must....remain....silent....
Drew,

We're waiting patiently until the day you don't.
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #108
bneale

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Not trolling, and I didn't say it can't be a tuner car, just said saying it is a tuner's delight is a reach.
You may want to go re-read your post again. You pretty much said its not a tuner car.

Originally Posted by Gadflyii
hmmm....

bneale
bneale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #109
Gadflyii

Quote:

No doubt you CAN tune the FR-S, my only point is calling it a tuners delight is a bit of a reach.
I can play that game too...

I think I have clarified that point several times now.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #110
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Quote:

My point with the 25k base is not that it was too much money, it was that from a tuner standpoint, it is a lot money for what you get. Since it is N/A the cost to tune the car will be greater. So you pay more to get into the platform, get little to work with, then will have to pay a lot more to really tune it. ... Nothing more.
it seems that the definition for "tuning" is what's really up for discussion here.

the FRS really is a tuners delight because:

1. wheel wells/arches are designed to accommodate more than just a standard wheel and the fender edges are already flat and sealed (no quaterpanel rust)

2. front swaybar designed in a way to allow a wide range of steering arm adjustment, so you can end up turning 90* and with no interference

3. accessory belt independent of timing chain, you're free to add/remove modify pullies and whatever without ever touching timing.

4. apperantly (and hopefully this is true), there are no airbags in the seats, this means you can swap seats to your heart's content without worrying about breaking the airbag circuitry or worrying about malfunctions.

5. if the engine bay is anything like my impreza, it's rather easy to work on.

6. suspension is easy to work on, straight out of an impreza, you don't have to unbolt half the car to get at something.

these are just some of the things i get just from looking at pictures

a "tuners delight" does not mean "able to jam 2 bar boost down it's throat and live to tell about it"
Old 03-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #111
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
I can play that game too...

I think I have clarified that point several times now.
Sure but flip-flopping doesn't help you prove your point much now does it?

What exactly makes one car a "tuner car" in your opinion?
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #112
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Sure but flip-flopping doesn't help you prove your point much now does it?

What exactly makes one car a "tuner car" in your opinion?
he had a 1000HP Supra and 600hp GTO in his signature.