follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-03-2017, 10:57 AM   #15
Rybot

Drives: Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks for all the help again, guys.

Thinking back on it, it won't be a huge problem to drop the trans again since I now have the knowledge and less work than flywheel, disk, and pressure plate to install.

It'll be close to a month before I can borrow a friend's lift, so I hope you two aren't waiting on bated breath.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:16 AM   #16
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rybot View Post
Thanks for all the help again, guys.

Thinking back on it, it won't be a huge problem to drop the trans again since I now have the knowledge and less work than flywheel, disk, and pressure plate to install.

It'll be close to a month before I can borrow a friend's lift, so I hope you two aren't waiting on bated breath.
That's OK. I'll notify mrs humfrz's relatives, who live in Missouri, to keep an eye out on the highway for pieces of a ground up TOB and pieces of clutch disk and parts of a pressure plate and sections of a bell housing ...... and maybe a bloody foot ......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (03-03-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 12:02 PM   #17
Rybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
That's OK. I'll notify mrs humfrz's relatives, who live in Missouri, to keep an eye out on the highway for pieces of a ground up TOB and pieces of clutch disk and parts of a pressure plate and sections of a bell housing ...... and maybe a bloody foot ......

humfrz
Trust me, I want to get this off the list of things to do, and I'm not too keen on shredding the clutch assembly, BUT I don't have anywhere to work on the car safely right now.

I'm not allowed to work on it in the same place I installed it (liability reasons), and I need a spare jack as well as 2 more jack stands if I were to get to it immediately.

Convincing a friend to help would probably be the easiest thing, but getting the trans out from under the car while on stands is a pain.

I'll admit, I'm being a terrible car owner by allowing it to be like this for 6+ months, but I need to set aside time do this without fuckin' it up and ruining my DD.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-03-2017, 12:18 PM   #18
fika84

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I second the throw out bearing being the culprit and agree with EVERYTHING that @Ultramaroon as said!
fika84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fika84 For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (03-03-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 12:38 PM   #19
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,519 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rybot View Post
Any suggestions?
Jack stands are fine. Quit dragging your feet and just do it!
Old 03-03-2017, 01:18 PM   #20
humfrz

[QUOTE=Rybot;2864677]Trust me, I want to get this off the list of things to do, and I'm not too keen on shredding the clutch assembly, BUT I don't have anywhere to work on the car safely right now.

I'm not allowed to work on it in the same place I installed it (liability reasons), and I need a spare jack as well as 2 more jack stands if I were to get to it immediately.

Convincing a friend to help would probably be the easiest thing, but getting the trans out from under the car while on stands is a pain.

I'll admit, I'm being a terrible car owner by allowing it to be like this for 6+ months, but I need to set aside time do this without fuckin' it up and ruining my DD.

Any suggestions?[QUOTE]

I really don't see your problem .......

I remember, back-in-the-day, I replaced a clutch on my old 1937 Chevrolet pickup truck. Yep, I pulled er up on a gravel spot in the barnyard, by running it up on concrete blocks. It was at night and I was using a kerosene lamp for light and some old rusty wrenches from a tractor's tool box.

I used a bottle jack and a piece of 4x4 for a transmission jack. Yep, it was during the winter and the snow was blowing under the truck in both directions. The TOB, clutch and pressure plate wasn't the best that I put in, because it came out of a junk yard, but it was better than the one that was in it.

(ahhhhh........ol humfrz is jest ah messen wich ya)
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2017, 02:09 PM   #21
Rybot

Why does everyone in this thread have to have so much positivity?

Now I gotta call around to see if I can borrow a friend's flat driveway/garage and extra tools so I can get this done sooner. I only hope I'll be able to convince the friend to also assist instead of drinking all the beer I'll be bringing along for the day.

It really doesn't help that the next 2 weekends are packed with a friend's wedding stuff (bachelor party and wedding). I just wanna work on my car now.

Why are you guys making me feel like this? Stop enabling me! My wallet cries every time I open a browser already.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:43 PM   #22
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,519 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Because we're older and we know better!

Just don't let it drag out to the point where it leaves you stranded. Then your wallet will really be sobbing. If you feel any rumble in your left foot, that's-a-no good.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:18 PM   #23
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
it's your DD and dont have enough time to do it, i will just pay and let shop handle it.
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:33 PM   #24
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Heh, My old room mate needed a clutch in his Landcruiser FJ40 so we pulled it in under a tree with some really stout lower branches. Chocked the wheels, pulled the top off, removed the shifter lever and plates over the tranny hump, threw a logging chain over two branches, wrapped it around the tranny, dug a hole under the middle of the vehicle so we could lay under there comfortably and proceeded to drop the tranny with the chains supporting it. We then lowered it onto some cinder blocks and slid the whole thing back on a sheet of cardboard that we strategically placed in the hole. Some finesse work with pry bars and rubber mallets and a bit of lube here and there and we got 'er done.

You woulda been impressed.

Quote:

I really don't see your problem .......

I remember, back-in-the-day, I replaced a clutch on my old 1937 Chevrolet pickup truck. Yep, I pulled er up on a gravel spot in the barnyard, by running it up on concrete blocks. It was at night and I was using a kerosene lamp for light and some old rusty wrenches from a tractor's tool box.

I used a bottle jack and a piece of 4x4 for a transmission jack. Yep, it was during the winter and the snow was blowing under the truck in both directions. The TOB, clutch and pressure plate wasn't the best that I put in, because it came out of a junk yard, but it was better than the one that was in it.

(ahhhhh........ol humfrz is jest ah messen wich ya)
Old 03-03-2017, 08:12 PM   #25
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
Heh, My old room mate needed a clutch in his Landcruiser FJ40 so we pulled it in under a tree with some really stout lower branches. Chocked the wheels, pulled the top off, removed the shifter lever and plates over the tranny hump, threw a logging chain over two branches, wrapped it around the tranny, dug a hole under the middle of the vehicle so we could lay under there comfortably and proceeded to drop the tranny with the chains supporting it. We then lowered it onto some cinder blocks and slid the whole thing back on a sheet of cardboard that we strategically placed in the hole. Some finesse work with pry bars and rubber mallets and a bit of lube here and there and we got 'er done.

You woulda been impressed.
Very impressed ......

But, was it uphill both ways and snowing ...... ??

humfrz
gravitylover (03-04-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 10:56 AM   #26
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Very impressed ......

But, was it uphill both ways and snowing ...... ??

humfrz
No but it was summer in Tahoe so we were shirtless and wearing sandals. There was also sufficient beer, buds and tunes to make us look like the kind of hippie rednecks that would do something like that
Old 03-04-2017, 01:17 PM   #27
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
No but it was summer in Tahoe so we were shirtless and wearing sandals. There was also sufficient beer, buds and tunes to make us look like the kind of hippie rednecks that would do something like that
Ahhhh........but, you had help .....

humfrz
Attached Images

gravitylover (03-05-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 07:29 PM   #28
Rybot

Alrighty!

Got the lion's share of my clutch issues fixed, but stay tuned for a REALLY weird followup problem I'm now having.

So, I got the TOB replaced. Pictures are as follows.

Here's the nastiness I created by not regreasing the pivot area when I first installed the aftermarket clutch and TOB. I doused the bell housing in brake clean and didn't think to hit the pivot with some love afterwards, so I think this may be why there's rusty dust on both ends.

More nastiness.

Fork nastiness.

Fuzzy nastiness.

All cleaned up.

All reassembled AFTER A GOOD AMOUNT OF REGREASING.

As for the actual TOB, here's a video. Note: I'm an idiot and filmed vertically, furthermore, I hadn't tried the other TOBs before making the video, so I thought the one in there wasn't too bad. BOY was I wrong.

So my effort was not in vain in the least. All squeaking is GONE. FINALLY.

BUUUUUT, I now have an intriguing problem with clutch engagement at high RPM.

I'll try my best to explain it.
Around 5k RPM, my clutch pedal becomes limper where I can tap it with my foot and it'll feel like the pressure plate isn't even pushing back, like very little taps will put the pedal almost to the floor like nothing is impeding it. Higher RPM and the pedal limp-ness increases to where, at close to redline, I have to completely floor the pedal to disengage the clutch to shift.

Once I let the RPMs decrease to about 4.5k and lower, the pedal firmness returns slowly, not all at once, and the catch point returns to normal (about 9/10 travel towards driver, very high).

I was gently feathering the clutch pedal to feel the catch point, and it really does float back once the RPMs lower past 4.5k.

I can hold the RPMs at a certain level and the catch point floats down and stays at a certain point. Higher RPMs and the catch point floats lower again and holds there.

Anybody have a clue what might be going on here?

I have a bunch of drivetrain stiffening mods that might be affecting a few things, but with the transmission assembly bolted to the damned engine, I wouldn't think that'd be affecting my catch location like this.

I don't think I need to bleed the system, as this condition doesn't happen under 4.5k, and it's not spongy or anything.

Is the clutch slave/secondary acting up and not giving me full actuation at high RPMs for some reason? Only thing I can think of is vibration at those RPMs causing the clutch slave shaft from fully touching the fork, otherwise, a clutch slave not functioning at high RPMs doesn't make a ton of sense to me as it's a hydraulic system, not really computer/RPM controlled.

Any ideas?

I got everything else fixed, but now I'm afraid I've got another mess on my hands.

@Ultramaroon and @humfrz , Help me 86 Shinobi. You're my only hope.