follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 07-06-2016, 02:26 AM   #99
synchromesh

Drives: Ultramarine Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Don't get me wrong about Nissan as I wouldn't mind being one of the first to sport the next GTR, but last time I checked, a 2016 base 370Z could be had brand new for 30 thousand dollars Canadian. It kind of took the luster out of it when the dealer was trying to push the showroom sticker shock Nismo on me. You also wouldn't have to worry about previous owners angling seat positions when farting or lack of.
synchromesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:33 AM   #100
synchromesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
I have done that many time for collectible pinball machines. In fact a fewof those machines were sold to pay for the FR-S, as I was getting bored of restoring, fixing, cleaning, dragging in and out of the basement 300 lbs, etc.

But a pinball machine is something I can fully test and inspect and afford repairs for no matter what.

Now, that is an investment. Could recall 5 years ago hanging out at a pub that had a "new" pinball machine. Spent 50 bucks on it that month or something to relive my collegiate arcade championship days.

It could be annoying to some patrons but during that summer, that one machine alone easily swallowed 25 bucks per day. I asked the owner how much it cost him to buy. He said 20k. Today, probably double that now.
The Following User Says Thank You to synchromesh For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-06-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 07:42 AM   #101
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchromesh View Post
Now, that is an investment. Could recall 5 years ago hanging out at a pub that had a "new" pinball machine. Spent 50 bucks on it that month or something to relive my collegiate arcade championship days.

It could be annoying to some patrons but during that summer, that one machine alone easily swallowed 25 bucks per day. I asked the owner how much it cost him to buy. He said 20k. Today, probably double that now.
Very O/T but we purchased a new Spider-Man machine in '09 for $5k. They are re-making that machine now due to ongoing demand. They are now $8K + tx. That is typical price new and the machines I restored increased in value to the point that I'd never buy back any I have sold. They are expensive collectible and tradable toys for private homes. The commercial viability is minimal these days. Most kids have no idea how a pinball game works. Not like when I was a kid.

What was the title of game?
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:43 PM   #102
synchromesh

Quote:
Very O/T but we purchased a new Spider-Man machine in '09 for $5k. They are re-making that machine now due to ongoing demand. They are now $8K + tx. That is typical price new and the machines I restored increased in value to the point that I'd never buy back any I have sold. They are expensive collectible and tradable toys for private homes. The commercial viability is minimal these days. Most kids have no idea how a pinball game works. Not like when I was a kid.

What was the title of game?

Mid-evil Madness. I might be wrong on the estimate but there is another one at the only arcade left in my town. One or two bad apples make the place a low class joint.

I asked the coin attendant if I could buy it for 30k. He didn't even respond or even say a word.

2009 Spider-Man pinball machine? Wish to go on about it but reminds me of Chick Corea's "Captain Marvel". Turned on the subwoofer and cranked it a couple weeks ago in the Scion. Kind of eclectic of me but what a reaction.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:52 PM   #103
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I wish I could find a really nice condition original Jurassic Park pinball machine.... that didn't cost a ton. HA!

That one and the later Indiana jones one with the multiball in the ark of the convenant... best pinball machines ever.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:52 PM   #104
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchromesh View Post
Mid-evil Madness. I might be wrong on the estimate but there is another one at the only arcade left in my town. One or two bad apples make the place a low class joint.

I asked the coin attendant if I could buy it for 30k. He didn't even respond or even say a word.

2009 Spider-Man pinball machine? Wish to go on about it but reminds me of Chick Corea's "Captain Marvel". Turned on the subwoofer and cranked it a couple weeks ago in the Scion. Kind of eclectic of me but what a reaction.
Medieval Madness, another title that became highly desirable. In fact it was every collector's holy grail. Approx 2500 made and sold for $4500 new, 19 years later pristine original examples are $11,000.00 Made in 1997 I think, and the manufacturer Williams no longer exists in the pinball industry. However the demand for the title was so high that last year a private group had every single part reproduced under license to make a limited run of 1000 new machines at roughly $10K ea. Tina Fey's voice is used as one of the maiden characters. She was an unknown back then.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (07-06-2016), NWFRS (07-08-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 04:39 PM   #105
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
I wish I could find a really nice condition original Jurassic Park pinball machine.... that didn't cost a ton. HA!

That one and the later Indiana jones one with the multiball in the ark of the convenant... best pinball machines ever.
Jurassic Park was a copy of the layout of Addams Family, best selling title ever. JP has horrible artwork.

Williams Indiana Jones great title, Stern Indiana Jones was an awful machine IMHO.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:46 PM   #106
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Jurassic Park was a copy of the layout of Addams Family, best selling title ever. JP has horrible artwork.

Williams Indiana Jones great title, Stern Indiana Jones was an awful machine IMHO.

Haha, well our taste in pinball machines differ. Nbd! Jurassic park was what I played when I was younger and I loved the raptor skillshot and trex eating the ball.

The stern indiana jones was just action packed. I loved the multiball.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:21 PM   #107
Re~Mix

Drives: 13' Scion FRS MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braeden View Post
There is supposedly someone in my new neighborhood with a Laguna Seca S54 M Coupe. They're cool because they're rare but I prefer the Z4 Coupe. However that being said I prefer the Z3 Roadster.
To be honest the Z4 is the better platform to drive - upgraded suspension, better sub-frame, later in S54 life cycle plus modern amenities. The Z3 coupe is a cool looking and unique car, however it has hit collector status and is definitely not ripe for DD duty (in M form) due to cost.

Here is where I ended up post FR-S, couldn't be happier but I do miss the FR-S from time to time. Silver one is my buddies
Re~Mix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Re~Mix For This Useful Post:
Braeden (07-06-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 07:47 PM   #108
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
Haha, well our taste in pinball machines differ. Nbd! Jurassic park was what I played when I was younger and I loved the raptor skillshot and trex eating the ball.

The stern indiana jones was just action packed. I loved the multiball.
Addams family, 1991 I think. Manufactured 20,200 units in the US and A (pardon the Borat shtick).Same playfield and more. And,,,,no Newman!

If I needed to I have nice pics of basement early 2012 with a bunch of high end collectible pinballs. Sold Cirqus Voltaire, Attack From Mars, Lord of the Rings and The Simpsons April 2012 therabouts and paid for the FR-S. I started in 2008 after googling nostalgic titles from the 70's, and gradually accumulated equivalent of 2 decent value cars which I sold in less than a week for stacks of $100 bills.

It forced me to do electronic repairs, fix circuit boards, hunt down obsolete RAM chips with prototype game software to install into the machines.

Still have 5 titles, plus a modded out miniature real working toy pinball programmed and designed by real pinball designers.

Thank organized crime in Chicago decades back for the pinball industry. Pinball earned more than the movie industry up to the 70's I think.
Sorry O/T

Last edited by wbradley; 07-06-2016 at 08:01 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
bcj (07-06-2016), Summerwolf (07-06-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 09:01 PM   #109
Braeden

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re~Mix View Post
To be honest the Z4 is the better platform to drive - upgraded suspension, better sub-frame, later in S54 life cycle plus modern amenities. The Z3 coupe is a cool looking and unique car, however it has hit collector status and is definitely not ripe for DD duty (in M form) due to cost.

Here is where I ended up post FR-S, couldn't be happier but I do miss the FR-S from time to time. Silver one is my buddies
Definitely have a point. I typically average 3k4k miles on my daily so I don't see it being too bad. I will quickly be saving up for a "beater" tho if I land a job far from home. Cars are meant to be driven in my eyes otherwise they just collect dust and in my eyes are useless. That being said I completely understand not beating up a car.

I would buy a Z4 if I knew a trustworthy person to buy from. BMWs are all in my family and it's the only way to buy it seems unless you buy new. Expensive to repair so it's assuring to know a car has been maintained well and a dealer can on tell you so much on a used car.

I missed my aunt's Z4 2004 3.0 with 60k miles last year when she told me I could've bought it for $11k

My dad owns a heavily modified Z3 97' tuned so it's in my blood and I've grown to like Z3s.
Braeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:51 PM   #110
Re~Mix

Drives: 13' Scion FRS MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braeden View Post
I would buy a Z4 if I knew a trustworthy person to buy from. BMWs are all in my family and it's the only way to buy it seems unless you buy new. Expensive to repair so it's assuring to know a car has been maintained well and a dealer can on tell you so much on a used car.
Bottom line on a used car (BMW, or not) is that you need to do your homework no matter where the car is located - family, dealer or private party. Assess the market and get an idea for value depending on condition, read up on common issues to look for and find a trusted shop or mechanic able to complete a pre-purchase inspection.

Old BMW's have a stereotype of being ticking time bombs awaiting an expensive service at every corner. Truth be told, they are just like any car after a certain age or mileage and if you put in the time to do preventative maintenance and monitor things it's not so bad. Additionally, work done by your own hands is a LOT cheaper than any independent/dealer mechanic. Keep in mind a used car may be $20K but you are still buying parts and service on a car that was once $40-50K.

TLDR: if you only buy cars off your family members you will miss a lot of cool choices in the market.
Re~Mix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Re~Mix For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (07-08-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 07:26 PM   #111
Braeden

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re~Mix View Post
Bottom line on a used car (BMW, or not) is that you need to do your homework no matter where the car is located - family, dealer or private party. Assess the market and get an idea for value depending on condition, read up on common issues to look for and find a trusted shop or mechanic able to complete a pre-purchase inspection.

Old BMW's have a stereotype of being ticking time bombs awaiting an expensive service at every corner. Truth be told, they are just like any car after a certain age or mileage and if you put in the time to do preventative maintenance and monitor things it's not so bad. Additionally, work done by your own hands is a LOT cheaper than any independent/dealer mechanic. Keep in mind a used car may be $20K but you are still buying parts and service on a car that was once $40-50K.

TLDR: if you only buy cars off your family members you will miss a lot of cool choices in the market.
Good info and I agree. You're gonna have car fixes with no matter what brand of car you get. I don't buy just from family ha. First car was a 2002 Volvo V70 that I negotiated on the side of the road of for $1300. And second car I bought certified used which is 2014 Jetta. $15k for a 2002 M Roadster is not bad. Actually below market value with 70k miles
Braeden is offline   Reply With Quote