follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 12-18-2015, 07:09 PM   #15
donthaveoneyet

Drives: i don't own one yet, but i will...
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Plastidip has come a long way, you can do your entire car for $500 with the pearl additives and everything set. they have a maintenance spray that keeps it looking shiny and if you maintain it as much as paint it's great. everyone spouting negatives about it has never used it, or only used a rattle can to cover their winter wheels black.
donthaveoneyet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to donthaveoneyet For This Useful Post:
adrixe (12-19-2015)
Old 12-18-2015, 07:39 PM   #16
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkAsphalt View Post
False, and you are just making the whole car scene look bad with your negative opinions like that.

Oh they look ok from a few feet away, it's when you are right next to them that's the problem. like others said I would recommend a wrap before plasti dip
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fumanchu1 For This Useful Post:
NyC Zn6 (12-19-2015)
Old 12-18-2015, 07:42 PM   #17
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by donthaveoneyet View Post
Plastidip has come a long way, you can do your entire car for $500 with the pearl additives and everything set. they have a maintenance spray that keeps it looking shiny and if you maintain it as much as paint it's great. everyone spouting negatives about it has never used it, or only used a rattle can to cover their winter wheels black.
Buddy of mine actually owns a body shop and does plasti dip, he can get it looking decent but it'll never look as good as a decent wrap or paintjob.
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 11:03 AM   #18
Chanpion

Drives: 13 FRS Satin
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Not that I'm against it but my friend plastidipped his car. Plastidipping the car looks bad, avoid white. Just spend a bit more for vinyl, it'll look a lot better, you'll be happier just looking at it. He hated looking at his car after, ripped it off after 3 weeks.
I just don't want you to go through hating the plastidip. It looks alright at first but it's the texture that picks up dirt, different colours and peels after time.

Last edited by Chanpion; 12-19-2015 at 11:13 AM.
Chanpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 11:43 AM   #19
Kotu100

Drives: Supra, 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
LOL at all the hate.
Do the dip you're gonna love it. The industry has come such a long way since its inception a few years ago.
Did my car in March for the trip to TX to protect from rock chips. It was the 2nd car i've dipped and i was getting many compliments on it.

2016 Will be an insane year for liquid coatings with the new autoflex product coming. This paint still peels.
Kotu100 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kotu100 For This Useful Post:
meWant (02-09-2016)
Old 12-19-2015, 11:57 AM   #20
Justin.b

Drives: 13 Hot Lava, 01 Miata, 09 Outback
It's not anything that new or exciting. They were treating Mustangs with color-changing finishes in the 90's.

Justin.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:03 PM   #21
adrixe

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotu100 View Post
LOL at all the hate.
Do the dip you're gonna love it. The industry has come such a long way since its inception a few years ago.
Did my car in March for the trip to TX to protect from rock chips. It was the 2nd car i've dipped and i was getting many compliments on it.

2016 Will be an insane year for liquid coatings with the new autoflex product coming. This paint still peels.
Nice!!! Im actually looking at the pearl real red.

Nice ride!

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
adrixe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:14 PM   #22
Kotu100

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrixe View Post
Nice!!! Im actually looking at the pearl real red.

Nice ride!

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
Thanks!
The real red looks badass. I think it will look amazing on a twin.
Let me know if you want some tips on doing the dip.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:15 PM   #23
murdoc
Sometimes I'm wrong.

Drives: '13 FR-S/'96 240SX
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.b View Post
It's not anything that new or exciting. They were treating Mustangs with color-changing finishes in the 90's.
I think the cool part is the peeling it off.
murdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:19 PM   #24
Kotu100

Quote:

Yea you're right the pearls aren't anything new. Can't peel that paint off the stang tho.
IMO thats what makes the dip appealing.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:29 PM   #25
Justin.b

Drives: 13 Hot Lava, 01 Miata, 09 Outback
If the best part is removing the stuff, it sounds like you could get to that goal (a plast-dip free vehicle) by never applying it in the first place.

Listen, I don't hate plasti-dip. There are some people with a lot of experience that can get close to a low-end paint finish with the stuff. I'm actually planning to use it on the bumpers and fender trim of my Outback, since my wife keeps hitting things.

I just think that for this particular case it makes a lot more sense for the OP to have his bumper repainted. Once that's done, he can play with plasti-dip all he wants.

-Justin
Justin.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:36 PM   #26
Kotu100

Quote:

I just think that for this particular case it makes a lot more sense for the OP to have his bumper repainted. Once that's done, he can play with plasti-dip all he wants.

-Justin
I agree this would be the ideal course of action.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:09 PM   #27
GhostRai
Rice Monkey

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Sport-Tech WRB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Plasti-Dip doesn't look bad... if you do it right. If you just get a can of the standard black/red/blue etc and just spray that, it won't look that great but if you take the time to make it look good with glossifiers or any of the other stuff, it can look good. But you have to make sure you spray it fairly evenly across everything including the tiny corners. For fun, I Plasti-Dipped my phone case and it lasted about 2 weeks before it started to peel on the edges (albeit I took it in and out of my pocket so I expected it to happen) and when I peeled it off, it all came off in 1 nice piece that still retained the shape of my phone case HOWEVER, I did spend basically a entire night spraying coats down. When I peeled it off my wheels, it wasn't thick around the edges or inside the spoke and that basically needed a brush to scrub hard to remove the thin areas.

TL;DR If you're going to Plasti-Dip, don't half-ass rattle can 3 coats good enough because I've seen people rattle can their entire car black with Plasti-Dip and it looks horrible. It's like they tried to smoke their tail lights with it and when they over-sprayed, they just said, "oh what the heck, I'll just do the entire car!"

"Why must everything that is broken be fixed?"
GhostRai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 09:57 PM   #28
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
From my observations, I remember a guy driving around with a green plastidipped FR-S. Apparently, that was his initial attempt apparently, because it looked like a child used a bunch of green markers to draw all over the car. His later attempt was a teal blue, and it actually didn't look that bad... when all of the plastidip was on there. From time to time, the plastidip disappeared from parts of his car, leaving his car with a mix of teal and the stock SWP. It looked ugly.

Then there is a black plastidipped FR-S I see... looked like absolute shit. Like the other FR-S, it too had parts of its SWP still visible, such as on the trunk and later the roof. It made the car look unpainted and cheap, as if it had a piss-poor body repair job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote