follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 04-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
AllDayJonRay

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Getting ready for my DIY exterior detail (wash/polish/seal)

I'm excited to enter the world of exterior detailing for basically the first time ever.

Everything has come in (some was ordered online, the rest was sourced at AutoZone/AAP).

My car came from the factory with some minor swirls (lovely, right?), so I got Blackfire SRC Finishing Polish to be followed by their Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection sealer.

I received the Blackfire products today and quickly read the instructions on both. This will be my first time polishing/sealing a clear coat car with an orbital buffer, so I'd like to follow directions as closely as possible.

Quick question: The directions mention spraying polishing pads with conditioner before starting. I hadn't read anything during my research about conditioner for the pads, so I wanted to ask if this step is absolutely necessary? Is pad conditioner something I will be able to find at AZ/AAP or will I have to order online again?

Any info appreciated!

'13 Ultramarine 6MT FR-S || K&N Drop-In, SpeedFactory V1 Cat-Back || Moto-East tuned

Join the 86 Owners Clan on Clash of Clans: "86 Owners" Password: "fa20" || Help us take over the world || Thread
AllDayJonRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
AllDayJonRay

Garage
80 views and no input??? Come on fellas, I know one of you detailing nuts has the answer!! BTW, I mean detailing nuts in a good way!

'13 Ultramarine 6MT FR-S || K&N Drop-In, SpeedFactory V1 Cat-Back || Moto-East tuned

Join the 86 Owners Clan on Clash of Clans: "86 Owners" Password: "fa20" || Help us take over the world || Thread
Old 04-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
SloS14

Drives: 2013 FR-S whiteout
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
using nothing is really ok. A tiny spritz of water is fine. Quick-detailer is good.
SloS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SloS14 For This Useful Post:
AllDayJonRay (04-12-2013)
Old 04-13-2013, 12:33 AM   #4
Rockstar
SuperUnit!

Drives: FN2 Honda Civic Type R
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
A bit of quick spray-wax/detailer should keep it cool. Just make sure there is product on the surface of the pad and start slow and light pressure building up to what you are comfortable on.

Have you looked at Larry Kosilla's DRIVE CLEAN videos and also his personal videos on YouTube? If not, I highly recommend it. He is a detailing nut (in a good way).

Drive Clean: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL96D52AF54166C886

Larry's Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/AMMONYCdotcom/videos
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockstar For This Useful Post:
AllDayJonRay (04-14-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 07:49 PM   #5
AllDayJonRay

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
A bit of quick spray-wax/detailer should keep it cool. Just make sure there is product on the surface of the pad and start slow and light pressure building up to what you are comfortable on.

Have you looked at Larry Kosilla's DRIVE CLEAN videos and also his personal videos on YouTube? If not, I highly recommend it. He is a detailing nut (in a good way).

Drive Clean: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL96D52AF54166C886

Larry's Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/AMMONYCdotcom/videos
Thanks for this. Great stuff!!

I've decided to add a clay bar treatment to Tuesday's detailing session.

The clay bar treatment fits best between the wash & finishing polish, yea?

Last question (yea right...), is there anything in particular I'll need to do between the finishing polish and sealer application? Is just wiping clean after the polish application/buffing enough before moving on to applying the sealer?

Old 04-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #6
chenshuo

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
if it's your first time using an orbital buffer, start the job on a less noticeable part of the car. Don't start on the hood. I remember my first time with an orbital buffer i started on the rear bumper. Don't set the speed too fast. Set it to speed 2 or 3 and once you get used to it then you can set it faster. Also keep the buffer moving don't stay at one spot otherwise you'll "burn" the surface.
I learned a lot from watching Youtube videos. As for the products that you mentioned, i never used those so can't comment on that.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:25 AM   #7
SloS14

I learned all I needed to know from Youtube videos. (detailing-wise)
Old 04-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #8
AllDayJonRay

Garage
Ok, my orbital buffer comes with bonnet type polishing/buffing pads.

It came with a microfiber and a wool bonnet. From what I've been seeing on YouTube, I really should avoid using the wool unless I really want to cut a significant amount of clear coat. Will the microfiber bonnet be good for use with the finishing polish?

Old 04-15-2013, 11:27 AM   #9
SloS14

do you have something like a PC7424 or one of those weird 12" double-handled ones?
Old 04-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #10
AllDayJonRay

Garage
The weird double handled one.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #11
SloS14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDayJonRay View Post
Ehhhhhh. Someone else chime in here. That's some oooooold technology.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #12
Mr. Sparkle

Drives: Mr. Sparkle Detailing Wagon
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDayJonRay View Post
sorry, but thats crap. you need a real dual action polisher. not going to do very much correction with that tool

most guys start with the porter cable 7424. For a few dollars more you get a much better polisher with the griots 6in (more power - still very safe). either one is fine really. I have my 5th polisher getting delivered tomorrow so you can never have too many (apparently)

what blackfire products did you purchase? the finishing polish and the wet diamond sealant?

I dont really use any pad conditioner. I just make sure the pad is primed well before going at it. If you don't understand what I mean by 'priming' a pad, I wouldn't put the buffer to your car so quickly

after final polishing, and protection to your sealant or wax - you could give the paint a wipedown with diluted IPA (rubbing alcohol). this will strip the surface clean. OR you could go over the car again with the buffer and a pre wax cleaning type of product. I use Klasse all in one for this task. More often I just do the IPA wipedown

I think you have much to learn young jedi. Get on autogeek, detailing bliss, autopia and youtube.

Better yet, buy the mike phillips book from autogeek (art of detailing). PACKED with knowledge about exterior detailing
Mr. Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:33 PM   #13
Tylub

Drives: Raven Black FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
watch this series and you will be good to go

The JUNKMAN tells all!

it is long but he will answer basically every question that you have, as well as make sure a novice (yourself) won't scratch your car.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...es-thread.html

watch it all you won't be disappointed.

instagram @Tylub
Mods: Tomei UELs, Tomei OP, Perrin Catted FP, ARK DT-S, Perrin LW Crank Pulley, Enkei RPF1, RSR Sporti, Supertek Intake Tube, Perrin CAI, Stoptech SS lines/brakes/slotted rotors, Cusco MCB brace/Strut Bar
Tylub is offline   Reply With Quote