follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AFRICA

User Tag List

Old 06-09-2014, 11:46 AM   #1
Ds3ire

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Smile WTB - Toyota 86 hi or std

Hi guys,

After browsing this forum and drooling over the Toyota 86 for ages now i think the time has come to get a feel for the machine by getting my own - i've already thought of names for her (Kyron, Sylvia, Scarlett, Anastasia...) . Ive searched the web for something affordable (in my price range) and there are a few, but im hoping to get better value from the plethora of fans here.

Basically my budget is R260k and for that i would like a high spec. Im willing to part with R230k for a standard spec model. I'd like a white or red one but any colour besides black will do (just have to think of more appropriate names)...

So if anybody spots or hears of anything available and let me know via PM or here.

Thanks guys, im hoping to be an hachiroku owner soon as ive already passed the stage of being a fanboy.
Ds3ire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:38 PM   #2
Alang

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0 Std.
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ds3ire View Post
Hi guys,

After browsing this forum and drooling over the Toyota 86 for ages now i think the time has come to get a feel for the machine by getting my own - i've already thought of names for her (Kyron, Sylvia, Scarlett, Anastasia...) . Ive searched the web for something affordable (in my price range) and there are a few, but im hoping to get better value from the plethora of fans here.

Basically my budget is R260k and for that i would like a high spec. Im willing to part with R230k for a standard spec model. I'd like a white or red one but any colour besides black will do (just have to think of more appropriate names)...

So if anybody spots or hears of anything available and let me know via PM or here.

Thanks guys, im hoping to be an hachiroku owner soon as ive already passed the stage of being a fanboy.
Right here we go again, so I'm going for first reply (since I own a standard I will be quicker and therefore post faster).
Std spec has less equipment and is therefore lighter. A better name for std spec is race spec. So save the extra cash and get the better, quicker car!
FT_86_SM_GP (06-09-2014)
Old 06-09-2014, 12:58 PM   #3
Alang

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0 Std.
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Race spec still out in front, check this link.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67658
Old 06-09-2014, 01:58 PM   #4
Laser69

Drives: White Ltd Edition
Hello. I don't have a clue about 2nd hand 86 pricing, but your budgets seem a little low. Well I hope my baby has not devalued that much.

What region are you in?
Laser69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:14 AM   #5
Ds3ire

Drives: Toyota 86
Thanks for the responses guys. im not sure how to put in a thanks yet.
I dont mind either one. The reason im open to paying a bit more for the high spec is the cruise control as i regularly travel over 400 km. And who doesnt want enlightening HID's.

The valuations are a bit on the low side but thats what my budget will allow me. Ive seen std(race) specs for 225k and 230 k but none in white. Will keep looking. If i can haggle Kapteinbos down by 10k then maybe i will take his. Thanks for the link. And please keep an eye out for any other offers.

P.S. im in KZN but i will go anywhere for her...
Ds3ire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:28 AM   #6
Fish Eagle
Platinum Member

Drives: Toyota 86 Vortech SC
Thanked 1,021 Times in 541 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ds3ire View Post
The reason im open to paying a bit more for the high spec is the cruise control as i regularly travel over 400 km.
Cruise control also seemed very important to me, and I even priced after market cruise controls (R4-6k BTW).
I bought std spec anyway, and I haven't missed the cruise control (much).

Think about it - why buy a car where the major objective is "an engaging drive", and then make it "unengaging"?
Old 06-10-2014, 01:30 AM   #7
Fish Eagle
Platinum Member

Drives: Toyota 86 Vortech SC
Thanked 1,021 Times in 541 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Oops - duplicate post, sorry.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:46 AM   #8
BentAnat

Drives: 2013 86 STD SPW
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
STD spec for me too.
Main reason being that the only arguments FOR the high spec that spoke to me were the Alcantara seats and the nicer headlights.
the 17" wheels make no real difference from what I am told, and the narrower 16" ones inevitably let go at lower speeds (i'd reckon - completely unscientific about this).

30K (40, considering the pricing I got on the STD spec because I waited so long) price difference for seats? I don't think so.

The high-spec headlights are nice, but the Subie ones are even nicer to me, so that's a no-go as well.

If I want big wheels and more grip (I am not one for visual upgrades, really), I'd go for 18" with proper sports tyres on them
BentAnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:56 AM   #9
ShaunWRX

Drives: 2014 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I do 100km a day mostly on the open road and at all times of the day/night. Cruise control and the HID's are very important to me. The seat heaters also kept my backside nice and warm this morning too.
Each to his own tho
qbzee007 (06-10-2014)
Old 06-10-2014, 06:37 AM   #10
FT_86_SM_GP

Drives: Lawn moweR
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
1) Black 86's - I had my sights set on a white 86, but ended up getting a STD Black Hachiroku - The colour has grown on me and I do not regret it for a single day. My little batmobile. Women also like the black sports car vibe I cannot complain

Lesson(Buying a used vehicle) - Dont stress about colours - Your colour will find you.

Experience with initial ride

2) Embrace the 2nd gear grind. You will get use to this and it wont happen as time wears

3) Cars will try to call you out (Esp GTi's) They have insecurity issues - Dont waste your time. They can go fast in a straight line. We go fast Side Ways (Which is epic).

4) Addiction will follow - Mods - You will never have enough mods. "Keeping it Stock"

Enjoy
Attached Images

FT_86_SM_GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:44 AM   #11
sav
Official anti-BS squad

Drives: Toyota 86 High 6MT
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alang View Post
Right here we go again, so I'm going for first reply (since I own a standard I will be quicker and therefore post faster).
Std spec has less equipment and is therefore lighter. A better name for std spec is race spec. So save the extra cash and get the better, quicker car!
LOL, sorry but no - race spec would be the one with the bigger and better brakes, shift light and those kinda RACE goodies...HIGH SPEC FTW!!!
Old 06-10-2014, 07:45 AM   #12
sav
Official anti-BS squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Eagle View Post
Cruise control also seemed very important to me, and I even priced after market cruise controls (R4-6k BTW).
I bought std spec anyway, and I haven't missed the cruise control (much).

Think about it - why buy a car where the major objective is "an engaging drive", and then make it "unengaging"?
That is true, but some roads such as the N4 are just too boring to be engaging in any way, shape or form. I love cruise control and would pay good money for it.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:54 AM   #13
sav
Official anti-BS squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentAnat View Post
STD spec for me too.
Main reason being that the only arguments FOR the high spec that spoke to me were the Alcantara seats and the nicer headlights.
the 17" wheels make no real difference from what I am told, and the narrower 16" ones inevitably let go at lower speeds (i'd reckon - completely unscientific about this).

30K (40, considering the pricing I got on the STD spec because I waited so long) price difference for seats? I don't think so.

The high-spec headlights are nice, but the Subie ones are even nicer to me, so that's a no-go as well.

If I want big wheels and more grip (I am not one for visual upgrades, really), I'd go for 18" with proper sports tyres on them
For me it was a no brainer - had a look at the std spec and left with the feeling that it was stripped out. Got in a high spec a couple of weeks later and all the missing stuff was there.

You may not "need" the extras, but for me it makes it a nicer place to be.

-17" wheels: nicer design than the std spec IN MY OPINION
-Bigger front disks
-Bigger and vented rear disks and calipers
-Cluster with white rev counter and digital speedometer. Analogue speedometer is not the easiest to read quickly.
-Programmable shift light & buzzer
-Proper alcantara/leather seats
-Heated seats: don't need
-Bi-xenon headlights are superb
-Auto headlights: nice to have
-LED daytime running lights completes the look
-Passive keyless entry with stop/start. Love this!
-Cruise control: already explained above
-Dual zone auto climate control: adds to the "cockpit" look & feel
-Various leather trim around the center console a big improvement over the plastic in the std spec

There are some other differences as well but the above are the most notable. I have posted this before but those options would set you back around R70-R80k if it was an Audi/BMW/Merc so the price difference between std & high really does make it a no brainer in my opinion. As for the weight argument, it's negligible.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:45 AM   #14
Ryan86
Road Warrior

Drives: Toyota 86 Satin Pearl White
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav View Post
For me it was a no brainer - had a look at the std spec and left with the feeling that it was stripped out. Got in a high spec a couple of weeks later and all the missing stuff was there.

You may not "need" the extras, but for me it makes it a nicer place to be.

-17" wheels: nicer design than the std spec IN MY OPINION
-Bigger front disks
-Bigger and vented rear disks and calipers
-Cluster with white rev counter and digital speedometer. Analogue speedometer is not the easiest to read quickly.
-Programmable shift light & buzzer
-Proper alcantara/leather seats
-Heated seats: don't need
-Bi-xenon headlights are superb
-Auto headlights: nice to have
-LED daytime running lights completes the look
-Passive keyless entry with stop/start. Love this!
-Cruise control: already explained above
-Dual zone auto climate control: adds to the "cockpit" look & feel
-Various leather trim around the center console a big improvement over the plastic in the std spec

There are some other differences as well but the above are the most notable. I have posted this before but those options would set you back around R70-R80k if it was an Audi/BMW/Merc so the price difference between std & high really does make it a no brainer in my opinion. As for the weight argument, it's negligible.
I don't tend to agree much with the Savmaster
But I have to agree this time.
If you can afford the High Spec way to go.
I'm going to regret this soon...
Ryan86 is offline   Reply With Quote