follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-17-2017, 07:47 PM   #43
imnotsureaboutbrz

Drives: between cars...
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
It's funny - Mazda also paints the top of the door the same color as the exterior to give the impression of a lower beltline. I thought it was pure marketing at first but when I sat in the car, turns out that gimmick actually works on me

but will you burn yourself when you hang your arm on the window sill in the summer?
imnotsureaboutbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:29 AM   #44
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotsureaboutbrz View Post
but will you burn yourself when you hang your arm on the window sill in the summer?
Not if you zoom-zoom hard enough

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 10:54 AM   #45
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Isn't that red door bit plastic? Can't be worse than the old leather style.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:50 AM   #46
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
Humm pretty sure the BRZ at its lowest seating position is lower than the ND, the hoodline on the BRZ is also a tad lower if you don't count the side cowls since I've sat in both. However subjective neither car is old Honda kind of low.

I'm also pretty sure the RF comes with Bilstein shocks standard after some Googling, I was gonna get down on the ground to check at the autoshow but there were too much people around.
I suspect the BRZ seating may feel lower to some in its seating because of its slightly higher dash and hood (giving a bit of a bathtub feel relative to the ND). Driving both within 1/2 an hour of each other, to me the position in the ND felt lower. Difference won't be great however as the ND is only 2" lower in height than the BRZ. How you choose to set up the seats will generate differences in perception as well.

RF only gets Bilsteins and LSD on the Club variant, not the high-end Grand Touring (in the US market).
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sport-Tech For This Useful Post:
krayzie (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 11:58 AM   #47
krayzie
Drive From Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport-Tech View Post
I suspect the BRZ seating may feel lower to some in its seating because of its slightly higher dash and hood (giving a bit of a bathtub feel relative to the ND). Driving both within 1/2 an hour of each other, to me the position in the ND felt lower. Difference won't be great however as the ND is only 2" lower in height than the BRZ. How you choose to set up the seats will generate differences in perception as well.

RF only gets Bilsteins and LSD on the Club variant, not the high-end Grand Touring (in the US market).
Well I have the Miata brochure from the Toronto Autoshow and on the features page it reads "Sport suspension with Bilstein shocks" standard on GS/GT/RF GS/RF GT, only unavailable on the GX. Do we even get a Club trim in Canada?

For me it seems the RF GT would be perfect as it has the BBS rims and front Brembos while omitting the Recaros which I found really uncomfortable for my hips aka. my fat arse.

What I originally meant on the seating position is really the hip point. It just feels lower on the BRZ than the ND to me but I guess it's debatable if they are both quite close, then again my car is lowered by 0.6 inches. The NA and NB felt obviously much lower.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:59 AM   #48
Sport-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotsureaboutbrz View Post
Answered over at Miata.net - apparently not a problem. None of these modern cars are really that great for arm hangouts anyways unless you are abnormally tall - windows are too high.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:59 AM   #49
Sport-Tech

Quote:
Well I have the Miata brochure from the Toronto Autoshow and on the features page it reads "Sport suspension with Bilstein shocks" standard on GS/GT/RF GS/RF GT, only unavailable on the GX. Humm...

What I originally meant on the seating position is really the hip point. It just feels lower on the BRZ than the ND but I guess it's debatable if they are both quite close. The NA and NB felt obviously much lower.
As I said, "in the US market". Mazda Canada as usual went its own way. There is no GX variant (Sport in US) for the RF.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:05 PM   #50
krayzie
Drive From Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport-Tech View Post
As I said, "in the US market". Mazda Canada as usual went its own way. There is no GX variant (Sport in US) for the RF.
Oh I misread I thought you're in Toronto lol!
Old 03-19-2017, 03:27 PM   #51
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Not sure what it feels like from the driver's seat (haven't driven it yet), but in measured tests the new Miata is actually significantly slower above 60 mph. Over 1 second slower 60-100 and over 3 seconds slower 60-120.

60-100 mph
2013 FR-S: 10.2 sec
2016 Miata: 11.5 sec

60-120 mph
2013 FR-S: 20.0 sec
2016 Miata: 23.7 sec

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...fr-s-specs.pdf
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...rm-test-review

LOL that was my first thought when OP said his car was sub 6 seconds.

Yeah I recently switched to a header that makes less peak HP but completely fills in the torque dip. It's surprising how it can change the feel of the car for street driving. Why swap out your SC though? Seems odd (no offense).
To be honest the power is fun. But i've come to realize i dont like SC's as much. I'm definitely more of a turbo guy so that's one thing. Also every single time i've driven this car in it's stock form i've completely fallen in love with it all over again. It happened when i went back to stock tune right before the SC install and again when i drove the new 2017 with PP. Theres something that just feels more exciting to me than going fast in a straight line. Cant really explain it.
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Xxyion For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (03-19-2017), funwheeldrive (03-19-2017), krayzie (03-20-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 03:47 PM   #52
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017-BRZ View Post
All I'm saying is power to weight ratio is often overlooked with HP numbers on paper and 0-60 times being the forefront only "BIG DEAL" of a great driving experience.
Exactly. Power to weight ratio is very good. Especially, if you have the lower spec trim
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:23 PM   #53
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxyion View Post
To be honest the power is fun. But i've come to realize i dont like SC's as much. I'm definitely more of a turbo guy so that's one thing. Also every single time i've driven this car in it's stock form i've completely fallen in love with it all over again. It happened when i went back to stock tune right before the SC install and again when i drove the new 2017 with PP. Theres something that just feels more exciting to me than going fast in a straight line. Cant really explain it.
Actually that makes sense. I've gone back to stock in other cars and was surprised how fun it was. I just didn't think it'd happen with a SC on this car! Thanks for the honest feedback.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:17 AM   #54
JonRZ

Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ w/ PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Isn't that red door bit plastic? Can't be worse than the old leather style.
If I recall correctly, it's not plastic and feels finished like the exterior of the door. I remember test driving one and noticing/feeling it.
JonRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JonRZ For This Useful Post:
krayzie (03-20-2017)