follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-05-2016, 03:19 PM   #57
choi0706

Drives: t
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
update?
choi0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 05:45 PM   #58
nelsmar

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by choi0706 View Post
update?
On which bit specifically?

I have one of the prototype gearsets from velox in right now that I'm helping test. And we just tossed in the billet clutch fork... Between the two of those... Oh man... Shifting feels so nice!!! =D

I had strongly questioned if something was going on with my ACT causing my clutch to not fully disengage... That clutch fork made a world of a difference in my scenario! I can't speak as for how progress is though as thats up to Velox. I can really only say how awesome their gear set sounds and how good it feels. =P
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 05:58 PM   #59
VerusEric

Drives: BRZ, STI, GT350R, Supra, 987.2
Thanked 2,529 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by choi0706 View Post
update?
This isn't really a thread directed towards Velox components to be honest. I just wanted to start a thread that people could openly discuss their issues with the manual transmission so that myself (and any other manufacturer honestly) could look into fixing/bettering the transmission.

We're all in it together, the more options we have, the better the platform becomes in my opinion.

We will start a proper, specific thread for our components if and when they go to production. We are still testing and ensuring we have fixed multiple issues.

Thanks,
Eric
VerusEric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VerusEric For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (10-18-2016), Drakiv (10-07-2016), MSTiFK8R (10-12-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 04:53 PM   #60
MSTiFK8R

Drives: BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Add me up to the carnage list, my 4th has left me for good.

Racetrack event, sticky 265's semislicks and the 4th grenaded...

The gearbox has passed quite fun 15K miles, mostly on FI with different setups from 300 to 420hp but never on that kind of stickies - maybe that prolonged its life.

this is how it all ended for a stock item

and for my bunny

but that's how it all starts over again, hope PAR straightcut set's gonna rock !

MSTiFK8R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MSTiFK8R For This Useful Post:
Drakiv (10-13-2016)
Old 10-16-2016, 06:27 PM   #61
VerusEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSTiFK8R View Post
Add me up to the carnage list, my 4th has left me for good.

Racetrack event, sticky 265's semislicks and the 4th grenaded...

The gearbox has passed quite fun 15K miles, mostly on FI with different setups from 300 to 420hp but never on that kind of stickies - maybe that prolonged its life.
Tires/driveline setups definitely influence the shock loads the gears see, which is why it's so difficult to put a hp/tq number on when 4th gear fails. Thanks for sharing!

I tore apart another local's transmission on Friday night. 380-420 whp, driving fine then one day 4th was lost. I knew what was the cause before I tore into it but below is the carnage, which isn't terrible, but will require a countershaft for repair as well as a few other parts.

Thanks,
Eric
Old 10-16-2016, 07:42 PM   #62
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloxEric View Post
Tires/driveline setups definitely influence the shock loads the gears see, which is why it's so difficult to put a hp/tq number on when 4th gear fails
It still looks to me like primary failure mode is the chipping from axial runout. Woudn't it fare better if the gear was shimmed as tightly as possible to eliminate the axial play?

It would be like not giving a hammer any room to swing.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:04 PM   #63
VerusEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
It still looks to me like primary failure mode is the chipping from axial runout. Woudn't it fare better if the gear was shimmed as tightly as possible to eliminate the axial play?

It would be like not giving a hammer any room to swing.
Agreed that failure is from chipping, but I can't agree (yet) that it is solely from incorrect shimming. This is the 3rd one I have seen to date. I cannot comment on their shimming because they were broken but Toyobaru offers something ridiculous like 17 sizes for this shim, so they should be able to hit their tight tolerance listed in the service manual. This would be on Toyobaru to install the correct sizes but from the units I have disassembled that didn't break this point, I have found no play at this location.

Going back to the first post, transmission #3 which had slightly chipped teeth, 4th gear has ZERO axial play, I couldn't even fit a 1 thou feeler gauge in there. It was perfect, yet it showed chipping! If you've ever messed with transmissions yourself, you know how ridiculously brittle the OEM components are. This is great for longevity but poor at handling loads. It is quite easy to fracture these gears with a little force.

Anyway, my current theory is that this is from the forces at play here, which travel along the counter-shaft itself. Not to say it couldn't and isn't from axial, poor shim choice, play, but from the units I have looked at personally, most of them are well within factory spec if not near no play at all.

Now Jacks states they do something different here, and I'm not sure what and hopefully they'd chime in. However, we have remedied this through another route on our transmissions as well, and PAR shouldn't have any issues here either.

Thanks,
Eric
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VerusEric For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (10-18-2016), MSTiFK8R (10-17-2016), Ultramaroon (10-16-2016)
Old 10-16-2016, 08:34 PM   #64
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Going back to the first post, transmission #3 which had slightly chipped teeth, 4th gear has ZERO axial play, I couldn't even fit a 1 thou feeler gauge in there.
Well, shit. I was hoping to find exactly the opposite in my original transmission and that careful shimming would dramatically reduce the lash.

Set up an induction rig to temper only the sides of those grooves?
Old 10-18-2016, 10:47 AM   #65
VerusEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Well, shit. I was hoping to find exactly the opposite in my original transmission and that careful shimming would dramatically reduce the lash.

Set up an induction rig to temper only the sides of those grooves?
Have you opened up the transmission? I'm by no means saying that careful shimming cannot fix and dramatically help! I was merely stating I've personally seen one that showed cracking which was shimmed very well.

That's an option, as is reducing the stress risers located there. Requires removal and complete tear down of the transmission though, which is a full day's work.

Thanks,
Eric
Old 10-18-2016, 12:29 PM   #66
Drakiv
Project Shadow

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Im currently flying from Sacramento back home right now, but when i get home i will find and post the picture of my PAR gearset because they believe they fixed that issue for 4th gear. Jack's Transmission had a fix as well, however they said that after inspecting the newer modified PAR gearset and installing it into the case that they didn't need to add or change anything. They also believed that PAR may have found the fix for the issue you guys are talking about, and Eric is pretty spot on. The answer seems to be in the clip.

Instagram: Drakiv
Drakiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:56 PM   #67
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Have you opened up the transmission? I'm by no means saying that careful shimming cannot fix and dramatically help! I was merely stating I've personally seen one that showed cracking which was shimmed very well.

That's an option, as is reducing the stress risers located there. Requires removal and complete tear down of the transmission though, which is a full day's work.

Thanks,
Eric
No no... I get it. I haven't pulled mine apart because it's nowhere close to the top of the list.

I won't attempt any guerilla metallurgy but I'll take the time to round those corners.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:40 AM   #68
Drakiv
Project Shadow

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Old gear

New gear with beefy clip

Instagram: Drakiv
Drakiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:25 AM   #69
rx3

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have turboed BRZ.
My 4th gear of the stock transmission went to shreds after upshifting on slicks (racing tires). Only 20 seconds into a slalom race (transmission was cold).
rx3 is offline   Reply With Quote