follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-21-2012, 09:58 AM   #15
russv
First 86

Drives: Scion FRS Argento Automatic
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Not crazy at all. No one would want to buy a heavily modded used car, especially mechanical mods. I've only made a few subtle cosmetic mods (shark fin antenna, Grimmspeed license plate relocator and oil cap, exhaust tips, and trunk liner).

Life is short...NO BORING CARS
russv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #16
5hairpins

Drives: 2013 MT Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
When I can push the car to it's limit and not mine, then I will consider upgrades.
5hairpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:16 AM   #17
Justin.b

Drives: 13 Hot Lava, 01 Miata, 09 Outback
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by russv View Post
Not crazy at all. No one would want to buy a heavily modded used car, especially mechanical mods. I've only made a few subtle cosmetic mods (shark fin antenna, Grimmspeed license plate relocator and oil cap, exhaust tips, and trunk liner).
Not true. If you build the car right, someone will buy it. I had no trouble selling my 1991 240sx with an SR20DET and a pile of other modifications. Everything was done well and well documented. I sold it 5 years ago and the guy who bought it is still driving it.

As a replacement for that, I bought a Miata that had been modified. The seller was an aircraft mechanic and promptly sent me photos of any area I was concerned with. I ended up getting the car for the same price as an unmodified car, with Ohlins coilovers, upgraded sway bars, a roll bar and a few other things that I would have wanted to do to the car anyway once I got it. In his case, the mods didn't add value - but they certainly didn't prevent him from selling.

If you are going to try to leave the mods on for selling, keep the exterior stuff to a minimum. Spoilers, wings, neon, dark tint, slammed suspension, big wheels, headlight/taillight hacks.... those are things that (in most cases) make it look like a child modified the car.

It is almost always going to be easier to sell an unmodified car. If your mods are tasteful / subtle, you may not get any more money for it and it may take a little longer, but you will still be able to sell. If you make it look like an extra from fnf, goodluck trying to sell to the craigslist deadbeats.

-Justin
Old 08-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #18
Wolfking

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlewistan View Post
am i crazy for not wanting to modify my frs in any way? Dont get me wrong, alot of mods will make the frs look better and perform better but i cant get over the fact that the frs is the very very first generation of a car that shares nothing with any previous cars from either toyota or subaru.

I really would like some tint on the windows or a spoiler to keep the rear planted on the highway tho...
No you're not crazy at all. There's something to be said for "original condition." From my R31 Skyline to an FRS at age 42. I'm truely glad just to have a "driver's car" under $30k. I may purchase additional wheels and tint the windows, but I seriously doubt much more beyond that will take place.

Enjoy it for what it is and consider yourself to be among the fortunate few.
Wolfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:20 AM   #19
russv
First 86

Drives: Scion FRS Argento Automatic
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.b View Post
Not true. If you build the car right, someone will buy it. I had no trouble selling my 1991 240sx with an SR20DET and a pile of other modifications. Everything was done well and well documented. I sold it 5 years ago and the guy who bought it is still driving it.

As a replacement for that, I bought a Miata that had been modified. The seller was an aircraft mechanic and promptly sent me photos of any area I was concerned with. I ended up getting the car for the same price as an unmodified car, with Ohlins coilovers, upgraded sway bars, a roll bar and a few other things that I would have wanted to do to the car anyway once I got it. In his case, the mods didn't add value - but they certainly didn't prevent him from selling.

If you are going to try to leave the mods on for selling, keep the exterior stuff to a minimum. Spoilers, wings, neon, dark tint, slammed suspension, big wheels, headlight/taillight hacks.... those are things that (in most cases) make it look like a child modified the car.

It is almost always going to be easier to sell an unmodified car. If your mods are tasteful / subtle, you may not get any more money for it and it may take a little longer, but you will still be able to sell. If you make it look like an extra from fnf, goodluck trying to sell to the craigslist deadbeats.

-Justin
I sold a Mini Cooper back to the dealer and the first question they asked was if there were any mods.

Life is short...NO BORING CARS
russv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #20
Justin.b

Drives: 13 Hot Lava, 01 Miata, 09 Outback
Sorry about that. I was talking about private sales.

-Justin
Old 08-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #21
computertech01

Drives: Jetta MK1V
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My dealership is cool with mods as long as they aren't too high performance and don't throw codes. So things like axle back / intake are fine but I still need to check if the light weight pulley is a go.
computertech01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #22
Touge_ninja
Sending rods to their doo

Drives: 700HP STi
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Gonna get it wrapped to change color. Only thing I'm gonna be doing.
Touge_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #23
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
You would not know it from reading this forum but more people will not modify their car than will. That is how it is with all cars, even performance cars.

Bear in mind that this does not include switching to different tires once the stock ones wear out. The OEM tires are simply too expensive to put back on the car when there are much better performers available at a lower price.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #24
jadewbj

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FRS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
You are not crazy, it is your car. I love to mod cars, always have and always will. It is just in my blood. All of my cars have been modified and I have sold the last two for a profit. It all depends on what you do, how much you get the car and parts for and being patient to find the right buyer.
jadewbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:11 PM   #25
Chuynh207

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
My first mod will be rims. Only getting new rims because I have a set of snow tires that were for my STi. Obviously I no longer have the STi, and I'm having trouble selling the tires. So the new rims will be to accommodate my snow tires for the winter, and will get summer tires next spring.

I would like to do HIDs and tints, however I'm going to hold off as I do more research into the HID department. I don't want anything to happen and a light goes out on my in the middle of the night
Chuynh207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:29 PM   #26
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Modding cars just makes it more fun, makes the car more yours. I'm going to do some small mods, maybe even add a turbo down the line if they are safe enough.
dem00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #27
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
makes sense at this point. i never understood why people mod cars without any reasons. i can understand down the line once people have realized what they dont like about the thing. its just that too often it seems like people drive the thing off the lot and right into a tuning garage
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #28
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Your car, your choice. I believe in only modify what you can put back.