follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 12-02-2014, 12:37 PM   #29
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by themadscientist View Post
Nope. It's hideous. The halfdoors were quirky at best and ugly is ugly no matter what badge it's rocking.
Maybe I'm slow but why does a riced out saturn mean the RX-8 is hideous?

I won't argue it's beautiful, or even as good looking as the FRZ (although I don't think the FRZ looks are anything to write home about) but at least it's not boring.

edit: full disclosure I'm extremely turned on by dorito power at the moment and am fantasizing about towing home a project 7. RX-8 was on my list of cars to try but the FR-S was lighter and gave me peace of mind.

strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:20 PM   #30
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Guess I'm the only one that likes how the RX-8 looks...

Granted, it's not as sexy as the RX-7's before it, but even those had weird design choices (hood scoop on FC RX-7 that's not centered...)

The dismal gas mileage, engine failures, and constant drinking of oil kill it for me. Dunno how anyone could say it would be a better DD than the twins when the cost to run it is so much higher...
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:31 PM   #31
YangerD

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I wouldn't even think about the RX8 for a second. TERRIBLE gas mileage and all the quirks the rotary engine brings along are just not worth it in my opinion.
YangerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:50 AM   #32
themadscientist
Hotlink Terrorist

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ Spec S
Thanked 2,624 Times in 1,196 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Beauty is subjective and I believe folks who say they think it's good-looking. I don't, but, again, that's just my opinion.

The hood scoop on the FC is off center because the intercooler is off center. It's not a styling choice, it's a necessity.

themadscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:06 AM   #33
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by themadscientist View Post
Beauty is subjective and I believe folks who say they think it's good-looking. I don't, but, again, that's just my opinion.

The hood scoop on the FC is off center because the intercooler is off center. It's not a styling choice, it's a necessity.

Make it wider or center the intercooler... It's silly.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:46 AM   #34
themadscientist
Hotlink Terrorist

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ Spec S
Thanked 2,624 Times in 1,196 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
The idea that bolting the intercooler to the top of the engine is good is silly. It should be like this.

themadscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:53 AM   #35
rubberband

Drives: Raven FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwx View Post
They have raced in the same autocross classes for a couple years now (CS and STX) and are incredibly close in both of them. I've driven both cars quite a bit and no a RX-8 won't "smash" a RX-8 with equal drivers. The RX-8 is definitely a better handling car out of the box and has wider wheels which helps it in CS, but in STX which allows suspension and some power mods the FR-S/BRZ has shown to be a bit faster.

One of the top RX-8 CS drivers has been driving a BRZ lately and feels it's really a toss-up.

The NC MX-5 isn't really a great chassis btw. I'm hoping the new one is better.
How can you say that the chassis isn't great? Compare it to the other stuff under $50k. What's better? Off the top of my head, you'd have to step up to a Boxster/Cayman or Corvette to get something better.

Autocross is fun, but I said track times. I wish it were otherwise, but the FRS simply isn't up to the task performance or reliability-wise.

The FRS is better for daily driving, though.
rubberband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:36 PM   #36
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberband View Post
How can you say that the chassis isn't great? Compare it to the other stuff under $50k. What's better? Off the top of my head, you'd have to step up to a Boxster/Cayman or Corvette to get something better.

Autocross is fun, but I said track times. I wish it were otherwise, but the FRS simply isn't up to the task performance or reliability-wise.

The FRS is better for daily driving, though.
For under $50k, I'd say the chassis for the BRZ/FR-S and S2000 (and RX-8) are better than the NC1 Miata. All are notably stiffer (structurally) with less body roll. But overall they're all are pretty good, with their respective pros and cons.

For laptimes, I haven't really seen an RX-8 "smashing" the Twins.

VIR Grand - Lightning Lap
- RX-8 R3 - 3:16.7
- BRZ - 3:18.6
- RX-8 - 3:19.0

Laguna Seca - Laguna Lap
- RX-8 - 1:50.4
- BRZ - 1:51.3

From my personal experience on the track with lightly modded (tires, suspension, bolt-ons/tune) FR-S's and RX-8's, the above times are about what I'd expect, i.e., they seem to be pretty close. It'd probably come down to driver and mods more than anything else.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 01:21 PM   #37
Cope52

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
^^The Stig did lap the Top Gear track a half second faster in the 86 than the RX8. And that was semi-wet.

The RX8 just doesn't have that Porsche-like feel of the BRZ. I do think the 8 was better in tight corners but then it had less weight up front, adj camber, and wider rims and tires.
Cope52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 02:03 PM   #38
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cope52 View Post
^^The Stig did lap the Top Gear track a half second faster in the 86 than the RX8. And that was semi-wet.

The RX8 just doesn't have that Porsche-like feel of the BRZ. I do think the 8 was better in tight corners but then it had less weight up front, adj camber, and wider rims and tires.
Oh yeah forgot about that one. Looks like that one was pretty close too, with the Twins being about 0.5 s quicker.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:07 PM   #39
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cope52 View Post
To be fair, the UK-spec RX-8 is tiny bit shy on ponies compared to both JDM and USDM models. Not saying that either of those models would have beaten the twins, but perhaps the difference may have been smaller.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:34 PM   #40
bren5279

Drives: series.blurrr
Ive had 5 RX8's

RX8
The GOOD:
Smooth, smooth, and more smooth
smoother easier shifting
more space (minus the non folding rear seats)
nicer interior quality
IMO better looking, but thats opinion

The BAD:
MPG/power was undeniably terrible
If you didn't know how to treat it right reliability was questionable
The 4 port automatic was a terrible version.

Honestly I would almost take an r3 over the brz if it weren't for the mpg and torque. Everyone bitches about oil consumption but seriously it wasn't that bad. Same with cold flooding, if you just revved it and shut it off while it was revving it cleared out any gas preventing it from flooding. Never once flooded mine. And as long as you redlined it once a week or so and didn't grandma it under 3k it was fine. Just sea foamed the engine every so often.
The BRZ/FRS is like a smaller better mpg and torque, rougher engine, more compact version of the RX8 with a normal engine reliability that people won't freak out about reaching 100k
bren5279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:29 AM   #41
Cope52

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
To be fair, the UK-spec RX-8 is tiny bit shy on ponies compared to both JDM and USDM models. Not saying that either of those models would have beaten the twins, but perhaps the difference may have been smaller.
Wasn't Europe rated at 228? That's all ours were making. I would guess even 220. Can you believe Mazda tried to pull the wool over our eyes with 250 originally?

It's a shame that gas prices skyrocketed right after the 8 was introduced.
Cope52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:45 AM   #42
Vic
63 Auto Body

Drives: 2013 SCION FR-S WHITEOUT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I had a 2004 rx8 before I got my frs.
the rx8 is a high maintenance car that's prone for eating unlimited quarts of royal purple and flooding when you need it to move. (I think I spent more money buying oil and working on it than the mods I put on it.) But is heavenly when you hear the rotary scream at redline.

but the frs excels at handling, looks, and reliability. Saying that, the power is similar on both cars stock. But the frs feels like its built on the principle of masochism and can take a beating and give the driver so much pleasure.
That being said, having the frs for more than a year now, its a better platform for the enthusiast who likes to work on cars since the car's response to each basic simple mod is always a positive gain, I don't regret selling my rxl8ter.
Vic is offline   Reply With Quote