follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-07-2014, 05:42 PM   #141
robwbright

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited WRB Phantom ESC 1.5
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmctacticz View Post
When I say lack of power I'm referring to 200 HP. This car is supposed to compete against the Hunday geneus coupe which has 274 - 311 HP depending what model and year. I feel like the 2014/2015 scion FRS should have come turbo from factory. And noooo... I didnt just get this car to drive like a gramma, I would have bought a van for that.
I love the car and the way it looks and feels but I think in can use another 50 to 75 Horses
I agree with you re: the extra power - it's fun. But the stock twins ARE basically competitive with the Genesis 2.0t.

From http://www.zeroto60times.com/:

2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T Premium 0-60 mph 6.0 Quarter Mile 13.9

2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T Turbo 0-60 mph 6.9 Quarter Mile 15.1

2012 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan 0-60 mph 5.4 Quarter Mile 13.8

2013 Scion FR-S (Manual) 0-60 mph 6.2 Quarter Mile 14.5

2013 Subaru BRZ (Manual) 0-60 mph 6.1 Quarter Mile 14.6

That looks pretty competitive to me. Add the OFT and ESC, and your 0-60 should be in the mid to high 5s and the 1/4 right around 14 flat. The OFT tune bumps the redline up about 100-200 rpm, thereby allowing you to hit 60-61 mph in 2nd before fuel cut off - cutting even more time than the power/tq increase causes.
1997 Honda Accord Coupe
1995 Honda Prelude VTEC
robwbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:52 PM   #142
robwbright

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited WRB Phantom ESC 1.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Target70 View Post
Torqdork: After seeing a properly installed (?) electric s/c participating in a local track day in another run goup, I tend to agree.

The system I saw required two 12V batteries wired in series (heavy, and I didn't have time to figure out the 24V wiring and charging circuit), could only run until the batteries depleted but before that happened an intake air overtemp protection circuit reduced engine output by putting the car into limp home mode after 10-15 minutes.

It would be effective for ¼ mile drags with adequate recharge and cool down between runs, but not so much for track or daily driving.

-------

It does require two 12v batts, but it also replaces the stock battery with a lightweigt compact battery. The factory battery is 30lbs, the 24v dump pack is about 26lbs, and the compact starter battery at 15lbs. So only about 11lbs more than the stock car, or 23lbs more for the 1.5 dump pack. (which produces about another 10hp/.5psi to redline) due to the additional available current.
I find it unlikely that the ecu increased IAT at all, as it uses the stock air box, and contributes no heat to the intake except the relatively low compression factor. (less than 5psi) between 1.5 and 2psi at redline(depending on your battery setup). More likely the motor controller overheated and went into protection mode, or thermal cutoff. The first is where it will reduce the amount of boost it provides, lowering the demand on the controller untill it cools down a little. The second is where it gets so hot it turns off completely to protect the system from damage, basically converting back into a stock NA car with a slight intake restriction, and a bad tune(as it is now providing more fuel for all the air it is no loner getting). The ESC is just not designed for track use. With enough cooling to the controller, and the soon to come out dual charger it is getting closer. This speeds up battery charging time, and splits the work between the two controllers so that the overheat problem is greatly reduced. But even with these things, the typical track driving style is not a good fit to the systems strengths. The ESC produces little gains at higher rpm's, and major TQ gains at lower rpm's. As you tend to stay in the upper revs on a track, you never get to use the systems greatest strengths. Plus the energy storage system is for more of a short term use. The ESC charges when not engaged at WOT, so a track with lots of long straights, will over tax the system, and not provide enough charge time.
It's the perfect system for a daily driver IMO. Way more low end torque, more peak HP, better cruising gas mileage, smooth/controlled boost of around 5psi at 2500 rpm tapering to about 1.5psi at redline. I've never come close to running the batteries dead in street use no matter the heat here in the summer - and never had any issues with overheating the system... and there's an add on aux recharger coming soon that will cut recharge time in half - which should resolve most if not all issues of running out of juice even on the track. The overheating issue on the track is still being worked on.

However, based on what I've read about track use, it would probably be fine for that as well, as long as the ambient temp is 80 degrees or below. The overheating has happened occasionally on the track - but it's typically been after 10+ minutes of running hard in 90+ degree weather - at least from the reports in the 100s of pages of thread I've read.
1997 Honda Accord Coupe
1995 Honda Prelude VTEC
robwbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:56 PM   #143
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya View Post
I mean, seriously, who likes to be passed on the highway by an SUV while driving a "sports car"?
This just cracks me up. Do you think that 20HP or 50HP or 100HP is going to keep SUVs, vans and pick-up trucks from passing you on the highway?

I see C7 Vettes, GT3 Porsches, Ferraris, Lambo, etc getting passed by the above mentioned vehicles on the highway all the time. You know why? Because those guys do not have any thing to prove and they know that they are already ticket magnets even when driving slow.

The only idiots I see trying to keep the SUVs behind them are guys in Civics and other riced out cars. Oh and GTRs. For some reason, GTR drivers seem to have some issues with being passed. Insecurity? Little d1cks? Dunno!

Hell, the cars I see going the fastest on the highways are usually the Prius. Go buy a Prius.
bedabi (08-08-2014), Deep Six (08-08-2014), Scenic Driver (08-08-2014), sprintertrueno86 (08-08-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 10:06 PM   #144
nmctacticz
2010 WRX - 2015 FRS

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS Dad View Post
Unfortunately (in this limited instance) he doesn't live at home so I won't see it much. I did steal it all day yesterday to put his radar detector in and some other stuff though, and I think I have him sold on some staggered 18's.
Staggered 18s all day. I bought my FRS 18x8 front and 18x9 in rear... looks amazing
nmctacticz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:26 AM   #145
nmctacticz
2010 WRX - 2015 FRS

Garage
I came across this video and I might end up doing the same thing....
scion FRS with an Innovative Super Charger... that lower rpm boost lol
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnBPFzurDH4"]Review: Innovate Supercharged Scion FR-S - YouTube[/ame]
nmctacticz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nmctacticz For This Useful Post:
mizzta21 (08-08-2014), PHLonomenal (08-08-2014)
Old 08-08-2014, 02:45 PM   #146
DaWorstPlaya

Drives: 2016 FR-S
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
This just cracks me up. Do you think that 20HP or 50HP or 100HP is going to keep SUVs, vans and pick-up trucks from passing you on the highway? ...

Hell, the cars I see going the fastest on the highways are usually the Prius. Go buy a Prius.
Way to take the comment out of context. I'm not talking about purposely speeding on the highways. Its more about being able to out accelerate most of the cars on the highway while merging or changing lanes. I'm sure at one point or another all of us have run into that one person driving next to/behind you that tries to accelerate as you give you your traffigator while trying to merge into an empty slot. Basically blocking you off.

Also, why the hate? Don't you have something better to do with your time instead of telling others what to buy?
DaWorstPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaWorstPlaya For This Useful Post:
Jonsey (08-08-2014)
Old 08-08-2014, 04:33 PM   #147
FRS Dad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya View Post
Way to take the comment out of context. I'm not talking about purposely speeding on the highways. Its more about being able to out accelerate most of the cars on the highway while merging or changing lanes. I'm sure at one point or another all of us have run into that one person driving next to/behind you that tries to accelerate as you give you your traffigator while trying to merge into an empty slot. Basically blocking you off.

Also, why the hate? Don't you have something better to do with your time instead of telling others what to buy?
True, but merging lanes isn't by definition a race. A driver of another car established in a lane and travelling at highway speed doesn't owe a merging car the space in front of it when the merging car can just as easily back off a bit and get in behind where it belongs.

Now a few years back I had a 2005 GTO with a 6.0 liter 400hp LS2 and a six speed, and that car never had to settle for merging from behind. It just takes a crap load of torque and horsepower, which is very hard to find in a $25,000 lightweight small displacement sport coupe.
FRS Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:53 PM   #148
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I came across this video and I might end up doing the same thing....
scion FRS with an Innovative Super Charger... that lower rpm boost lol
Wow...I couldn't finish the video. The host is annoying and the car looks tacky.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:07 PM   #149
Ubersuber
Banned

Drives: BRZ Pearl White
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwbright View Post
How much money you got?

Jaguar's F-Type Coupe looks a lot like the twins and has a LOT of HP.
Driven both (F Type R in fact) and seriously, for the money the Subaru is the better car and actually more fun to drive. Rides better also.

Not knocking the Jag, love the brand, and the F Type is a stunning car.

But, truly, this little BRZ/FRS is stunningly good.
Ubersuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:41 PM   #150
jebuwh
Village Idiot

Drives: '13 FR-S Ultramarine Manual
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
Wow...I couldn't finish the video. The host is annoying and the car looks tacky.
Seriously that car is hideous. Why people put wheels like that on this car I do not know. In a thread talking about not enough power... Haha. Big staggered wheels will kill your acceleration.
jebuwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:20 PM   #151
keduda

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
I just purchased a 2015 scion FRS. Not whole lot has changed except for the upgraded suspension, better muffler and the shark fin as the antenna... also a few gadgets inside the car. I bought after market rims 18x8 front and 18x9 rear. We all know the FRS is a great car, looks amazing and it handles like glue on a track but that motor without a turbo WTF happened there!!!

Im considering putting more power in this engine but would like to hear from you guys first.
What have you done to increase this cars performance...
Turbo, super charger, cold air intake, racing chip, exhaust etc etc
What did you get and how has it changed your cars Hp/performance??
I know what you mean by underpowered, and I still bought the car. However, I bought it with the specific intention to play with it and make the mods myself, with the help of my 17 year old son. So, as others have mentioned before, there are a lot of mods you can make to this car, which is half of the fun of owning this car. I'm not much further along than you are right now, just put on an Invidia N1 exhaust yesterday, and it sounds GREAT. Next is cold air intake, then wheels (heavier, too, but I don't care....) Upgrade the stereo, suspension and finally either a turbo or supercharger. Haven't decided yet. Still having fun trying to figure it out. Hope you also enjoy the experience as we are.
keduda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:39 PM   #152
FiReStorm2013
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Scion was talking about adding 30 more horses, but that talk has silently gone. If they could eventually match it to the WRX, I'd be happy. 250 or 268. I like the price point, but if started at over 30K, the targeted audience would not be interested and sales would look dreadful. Boys....and girls, I don't think we'll ever see the amount of horsepower we dream of having in this vehicle.

Who's to say they won't release two versions, the basic FRS and the suped up version with more horsepower and TURBO! The price would certainly rise, but production would be limited, so the wealthier could buy something that satisfies more their taste, and I could still live the dream in a car I can afford.

I read an article not too long ago that there is the potential Scion and Subaru will go their own ways in the future. There's pros and cons to that. I think for Subaru, they'd introduce an all-wheel drive BRZ, while Scion would evolve the FRS into something more amazing than itself in terms of performance and design, examples include the Toyota Spyder and Supra (fyi, Scion is owned by Toyota). Overall, I feel the competition between the two would drive them and have a end result of two great products.
FiReStorm2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:33 PM   #153
frsvr4

Drives: '13 FRS
I've concluded that much of this community has developed a complex regarding the lack of power. It's supposedly not a problem for them, so it shouldn't be a problem for you. Oh, you want to talk about it? I'm going to be intentionally obtuse and argumentative...

Right... My plan is pretty simple. Stock intake, stock exhaust, stock fuel, stock clutch... Just bolt on an innovate stage 1 and a subaru forester oil cooler. That will save me the fitment issues associated with bumper removal and hopefully satisfy my urge for acceleration. I'm hopeful that will make the car run high 13's. That shouldn't ruin anything about the car and make it pass most cars that aren't trying to race me, haha.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:16 PM   #154
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I might go for Jackson Racing over Innovate. It's supposed to be a much better system, and very easy to install.

For myself, I'm staying NA. Typical stage 2 bolt ons and a flash.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
frsvr4 (08-09-2014), Kronos (08-09-2014)