follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #29
fmsida

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It's unnecessary to attack a persons finances, specially when we don't know that person or their background. Not everyone who buys an FRS/BRZ is going to modify it. Perhaps he is saving money for a trip, or for school, or to buy his wife a BMW, or get his kids a gift, or get his kids a medical procedure. Keep in mind that unexpected things do happen that lead people to make the choises that they do. The possibilities are endless. If we disagree with another person's mods or choices, we could respectfully say so.
@ML , don't let people discourage you from your things or your ideas. But I do agree with most people here, it might not be a good idea to do the washer mod, I personally love the sound when I took the muffler off, but I don't trust the exhaust and its temperatures be being trapped underneath my car, (even with a few washers), I would be too afraid of something happening over time. Save up some money and head over to a muffler shop try to get one fabricated, I have read of people spending around $50 for something like this. It doesn't hurt to ask. (I guess it depends on your area too). This is not a PG forum, but I don't think people like being called an asshole.. lol... anyways, I am out.
fmsida is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fmsida For This Useful Post:
MarkRacerX (10-12-2012), ML (10-12-2012)
Old 10-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #30
ML

Drives: 13 White MT FR-S
Thanked 1,127 Times in 521 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmsida View Post
It's unnecessary to attack a persons finances, specially when we don't know that person or their background. Not everyone who buys an FRS/BRZ is going to modify it. Perhaps he is saving money for a trip, or for school, or to buy his wife a BMW, or get his kids a gift, or get his kids a medical procedure. Keep in mind that unexpected things do happen that lead people to make the choises that they do. The possibilities are endless. If we disagree with another person's mods or choices, we could respectfully say so.
@ML , don't let people discourage you from your things or your ideas. But I do agree with most people here, it might not be a good idea to do the washer mod, I personally love the sound when I took the muffler off, but I don't trust the exhaust and its temperatures be being trapped underneath my car, (even with a few washers), I would be too afraid of something happening over time. Save up some money and head over to a muffler shop try to get one fabricated, I have read of people spending around $50 for something like this. It doesn't hurt to ask. (I guess it depends on your area too). This is not a PG forum, but I don't think people like being called an asshole.. lol... anyways, I am out.
Thanks. I dont have to explain myself to any of you but...going to the local muffler shop for a dual exit delete was the plan. So I did the washer mod to get a feel for the car's natural sound. And I didn't expect him to like it when I called him an asshole, thats why I said it. Hes probably not one in RL but he was being one to me.

Maybe I should post a vid of the mod. So people can determine for themselves what its like.

Build Thread https://www.instagram.com/mount_tele_lion/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiont View Post
I swear I will punch your car if you put these on. Right in the face.
ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:35 PM   #31
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmsida View Post
It's unnecessary to attack a persons finances, specially when we don't know that person or their background. Not everyone who buys an FRS/BRZ is going to modify it.
For the record, I didn't attack NO ONES finances. I just stated simple facts. My post can be summarized very simple: If you don't have the money to properly mod, don't do it. I also added that if finances are tight the last thing in your mind should be wasting money on modding your brand new car. Some people seem to be overly sensitive.

To end, my problem with the washer mod has NOTHING to do with it being cheap its about safety and potential to damage the car.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #32
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsguy83 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML View Post
Maybe I should post a vid of the mod. So people can determine for themselves what its like.
There's video of it already, look at the thread I posted earlier.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #33
JDMenrique
DEEEERP

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
For the record, I didn't attack NO ONES finances. I just stated simple facts. My post can be summarized very simple: If you don't have the money to properly mod, don't do it. I also added that if finances are tight the last thing in your mind should be wasting money on modding your brand new car. Some people seem to be overly sensitive.

To end, my problem with the washer mod has NOTHING to do with it being cheap its about safety and potential to damage the car.
Whats the definition of modding properly? I see your point but it really comes down to opinion.

The case about buying an FR-S and not having the money to buy the "expensive/name brand" shit is pretty invalid. I have a wife and child that I happily support. My FR-S was a gift to myself for busting my ass for so long and I can afford the payments but Volks, for example, arent in my budget.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:17 PM   #34
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMenrique View Post
Whats the definition of modding properly? I see your point but it really comes down to opinion.

The case about buying an FR-S and not having the money to buy the "expensive/name brand" shit is pretty invalid. I have a wife and child that I happily support. My FR-S was a gift to myself for busting my ass for so long and I can afford the payments but Volks, for example, arent in my budget.
Modding the car properly means doing it safely.

Guess what?? I have a wife and a 1 year old kid I happily support too.

Again, read my post. It isn't about the mod being "cheap" its about not being safe.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #35
usptwins
Toyota Soul

Drives: 96 taco
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
If this were in the Supra forums, then you would get more flame than this. But, like people said, if you want to do something like this, then do it. Just makes a bad image on the Twins, such as mostly what you see about people driving gutted civics and thinking they are soooo fast. No pun intended. But its the truth. Sorry bro.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #36
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 636 View Post
Bring out the haters.

I'm about to go unbolt my axel back, and stick 4 washers between the bolts on the pipe. I'm assuming it's going to sound just like a muffler delete would.

What's the down-side to running, well, basically an exhaust leak? Worse MPG?

do it, and it wont melt off your bumper, i did it and have left it like that for 2 months now, im just getting a pipe with no muffler, straight out on one exit when i get the time

IRL ive heard a few exhaust systems, and i think the muffler delete with a pipe straight out the back sounds the best, @lopro25 heard it and he likes it

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
IMO, if you can't afford to mod something properly, then leave it alone.
what is the definition of properly? cause most race cars just dump the exhaust at the ground or out the back with a staight pipe, not some fancy exhaust. so if he just deletes the muffler adds in a pipe for $100 bucks hes actually doing it the most proper way possible "because racecar", i leave the spacer in there to fool people into thinking the stock exhaust makes that noise, its pretty funny actually, and no you dont loose power, i data logged it on my phone and not a single parameter changed before or after, car felt exactly the same, just louder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celica00 View Post
ML stop. arguing over spending $0 to make annoying sounds all day or to spend $100.. yeah close this thread
the washer mod sounds exactly like single exit $99 mod, not loud by any means, it just burbles, i like burbles

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carbonBLUE For This Useful Post:
636 (10-12-2012), ML (10-12-2012)
Old 10-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #37
Celica00

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonBLUE View Post
the washer mod sounds exactly like single exit $99 mod, not loud by any means, it just burbles, i like burbles
leave it to carbon to make me laugh
Celica00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #38
JDMenrique
DEEEERP

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Modding the car properly means doing it safely.

Guess what?? I have a wife and a 1 year old kid I happily support too.

Again, read my post. It isn't about the mod being "cheap" its about not being safe.
agreed
Old 10-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #39
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Quote:
leave it to carbon to make me laugh
did an exhaust delete on my celica, drove it around the block, threw my trd exhaust(usa spec) back on, wasnt as loud as my TRD kazuma(japan spec) but it was raspy as hell lol

(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
Old 10-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #40
Celica00

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonBLUE View Post
did an exhaust delete on my celica, drove it around the block, threw my trd exhaust(usa spec) back on, wasnt as loud as my TRD kazuma(japan spec) but it was raspy as hell lol
idk.. i'm not a burble or raspy guy, i'm more of a deep hum that sounds like the grim reaper or some other bad ass kind of guy.
Celica00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #41
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Quote:
idk.. i'm not a burble or raspy guy, i'm more of a deep hum that sounds like the grim reaper or some other bad ass kind of guy.
thats the way the TRD exhaust sounded to me on the celica, i enjoyed it, i feel like the exhaust note has to match the car its representing, and the engine under the hood

(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
Old 10-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #42
Style
LXXXVI

Drives: Dahlia (Raven FR-S)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
IMO, if you can't afford to mod something properly, then leave it alone.
True, like you said your opinion, but then again it is his car and he can do what ever he feels like doing.
Style is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Style For This Useful Post:
ML (10-12-2012)