follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-16-2016, 06:27 PM   #43
billwot

Drives: '11 Cayman , '14 Camry, '11 Tacoma
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
Dude, get a Cayman S. If you like raw sports car feel and just want more grunt (and more of everything else), then it's perfect for you. You can get them for high 20s, low 30s with some miles on it. IMS Failure is always an issue with those cars, but other then that they're fairly reliable.
Only on pre-2009 cars.
billwot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to billwot For This Useful Post:
Cole (04-18-2016), Guff (04-17-2016), HotLeopardMama (04-25-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 01:07 AM   #44
fridayfrs

Drives: Frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
With the data we have I'd get a different car. This car is my peppy car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
fridayfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:28 AM   #45
Gaiakai

Drives: '21 Civic Type R
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Impreza View Post
Why are people not happy with the power in this car? I've been driving my 2014 Accord sport with 189Hp and a CVT transmission for a few weeks and when i took my 86 out for a drive recently I felt like i was in a rocket ship lol.

I think if you think this car is slow you already made the mistake of buying it.

The troubles of a aftermarket turbo car will never end no matter who you choose to set the car up. You could even hire Amuse to set up this car and you will still have some issues down the road.

Also, even if your a track person, most track guys will tell you, all you need is a good suspension setup and sticky tires and this car will eat many cars on the track for breakfast if your a decent driver.
From my experience, the lack of power starts getting to you if you daily drive the car. On the weekends when I took it up into the canyons and let it rip, I never felt the need for more power. High RPMs are a special kind of addicting. But in traffic where I almost never stay above 4k RPM, it got really annoying. It's a momentum car - if you keep losing momentum (stop & go / stop lights), you're gonna have a bad time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gaiakai For This Useful Post:
HotLeopardMama (04-25-2016), P86RAVES (04-18-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 01:53 AM   #46
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaiakai View Post
From my experience, the lack of power starts getting to you if you daily drive the car. On the weekends when I took it up into the canyons and let it rip, I never felt the need for more power. High RPMs are a special kind of addicting. But in traffic where I almost never stay above 4k RPM, it got really annoying. It's a momentum car - if you keep losing momentum (stop & go / stop lights), you're gonna have a bad time.
I don't understand this last part.
With a 6.4 second 0 to 60, stop and go should not be a problem. I have never once thought to myself "geeeez I really wish I had an STi since this stop and go traffic really needs a 4.7 second 0 to 60".
On a track or strip that 1.7 seconds may make a difference but when accelerating from one light to the next with traffic flow it doesn't mean squat.
It always baffles me when people say these cars are "slow" for DDing when we are talking about a 1.7 second difference. People talk like we are looking at differences measured in minutes and that is just bull.
Cole (04-18-2016), FRSBRZGT86FAN (04-17-2016), Guff (04-17-2016), HotLeopardMama (04-25-2016), humfrz (04-17-2016), Mr.Impreza (04-17-2016), soulreapersteve (04-17-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 02:13 AM   #47
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
With a 6.4 second 0 to 60, stop and go should not be a problem. I have never once thought to myself "geeeez I really wish I had an STi since this stop and go traffic really needs a 4.7 second 0 to 60".
On a track or strip that 1.7 seconds may make a difference but when accelerating from one light to the next with traffic flow it doesn't mean squat.
It always baffles me when people say these cars are "slow" for DDing when we are talking about a 1.7 second difference. People talk like we are looking at differences measured in minutes and that is just bull.
We all know this car needs 707 hp to go from 1 city block to the next.

The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to soulreapersteve For This Useful Post:
Cole (04-18-2016), FRSBRZGT86FAN (04-17-2016), HotLeopardMama (04-25-2016), Mr.Impreza (04-17-2016), Quentin (04-17-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 02:43 AM   #48
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Quote:

Numbers don't mean crap on the street, Tcoat is right. If you want to be in the sweet spot power band of this car buy a 4.56 final drive if your manual or 4.88 if you auto the difference in 0-60 will drop by a second if people are so set on numbers
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:39 AM   #49
Gaiakai

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Numbers don't mean crap on the street, Tcoat is right. If you want to be in the sweet spot power band of this car buy a 4.56 final drive if your manual or 4.88 if you auto the difference in 0-60 will drop by a second if people are so set on numbers
Neither of you have had that moment when you're behind someone who's constantly braking that you end up having to slow down, and the car just needs to take some time to get back up to speed, and it's just enough time for someone else to cut you off?

No, I really wouldn't wish for an STi in this situation because those still need to spool for the sweet torque right?
Old 04-17-2016, 11:02 AM   #50
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Neither of you have had that moment when you're behind someone who's constantly braking that you end up having to slow down, and the car just needs to take some time to get back up to speed, and it's just enough time for someone else to cut you off?

No, I really wouldn't wish for an STi in this situation because those still need to spool for the sweet torque right?
No I have not. If somebody is going to "cut you off" then they are going to do it anyway but the fact they want/or need to be in the same lane as you does not mean you need to block them. If your goal in driving is to prevent anybody from merging in front of you then that would appear to be an attitude issue not a car one. Who exactly are you following in stop and go traffic that accelerates to rates beyond the capabilities of the FRS just to stop again anyway?
Cole (04-18-2016), FRSBRZGT86FAN (04-17-2016), HotLeopardMama (04-25-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 11:44 AM   #51
Gaiakai

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
So, why not drive in a higher RPM on the street? I'm not using mine as a DD BTW but, like you say, higher RPM's are fun and that's where this car needs to be to perform.

The torque dip annoys me and I will do something about it eventually...
It would unfortunately make me look like an a$$, revving the engine out for daily duty. And then there's the amount of gas that that would burn.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:03 PM   #52
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:

You literally described traffic, and your over exaggerating getting back up to street speeds. That's again where numbers don't matter. If that is your driving style then you come across as a child, people will cut you off no matter what they do.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:18 PM   #53
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
From my experience, the lack of power starts getting to you if you daily drive the car. ......................- if you keep losing momentum (stop & go / stop lights), you're gonna have a bad time.
Welp, that reminds me of what the ol boy back in Missouri, who once said about driving in traffic ......... "why am I racing that guy beside me ...... chances are we are NOT going to the same place anyway" ??.......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
HotLeopardMama (04-25-2016), Quentin (04-17-2016), Tcoat (04-18-2016), Ultramaroon (04-18-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 03:21 PM   #54
Gaiakai

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
You literally described traffic, and your over exaggerating getting back up to street speeds. That's again where numbers don't matter. If that is your driving style then you come across as a child, people will cut you off no matter what they do.
Maybe. Still doesn't change my opinion about why I thought the twins were lacking power, which is the point of view others might have as well. That's all I was trying to convey.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gaiakai For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (04-17-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 03:43 PM   #55
CatScan

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:

No, because I have the ability to select an appropriate gear. Cayman can't do that?
CatScan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:55 PM   #56
Gaiakai

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatScan View Post
No, because I have the ability to select an appropriate gear. Cayman can't do that?
No, you're absolutely right. The second coming of Jesus definitely does not need more power, and all the people who have a different opinion and are looking at forced induction / a more powerful car are all idiots who drive in 6th gear 100% of the time. My bad. You sure told me huh?