follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List
go_a_way1, MisterSheep

Old 07-11-2015, 05:13 PM   #645
Monogram

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roybotnik View Post
I was incredibly excited about the RC F until I heard about the weight. I love the styling and the Lexus brand, but there is no excuse for the weight.

I think the RC F's biggest problem is the GT-R. The GT-R weighs less, has superior performance, and is easily picked up with a few thousand miles on it for about the same price as an RC F. Yeah it would be used but you can't really argue with that performance bargain if you must have something Japanese. Considering the cramped rear seats of the RC F, it's hard to argue that it's any more versatile or more luxurious. The only real advantage would be the quality of Lexus's interior design.

In terms of RWD V8 cars, I would certainly go with the GT350. At the price there will be nothing else that compares to it, and the maintenance and parts will be very cheap compared to the M3, C63, RC F, etc. I will probably get one of them next year to replace the 2011 GT I had. The interior is great and I love the styling. And at 47k it makes the powered-up luxury base models on offer from BMW and M-B look like a bad decision.
It's comments like these that make me chuckle. Have you ever ridden in a GTR? Have you ever ridden in an RC F? The extra weight on the RC F is there for a number of reasons, not the least of which is crash safety. It holds the highest rating of any car in its class, and this class of car was built to mainly be driven on the street. I daily drive mine, and I can tell you it is ultra comfortable on even 3+ hour trips. You can't say that about a GTR. It also will be the most reliable car in its class, and I'd much rather have a vehicle that I can rely on day in and day out vs. a car that only exists for bragging rights. Lexus built this car to be competitive with the competiton, but unlike the competition they are unwilling to compromise quality and reliability. Spend some time in each of the cars under normal daily driving conditions, then take each to the track a few times, then come back with an educated opinion that is not based on internet hype.
Monogram is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monogram For This Useful Post:
hmong337 (07-13-2015)
Old 07-11-2015, 05:17 PM   #646
Monogram

Quote:
I was incredibly excited about the RC F until I heard about the weight. I love the styling and the Lexus brand, but there is no excuse for the weight.

I think the RC F's biggest problem is the GT-R. The GT-R weighs less, has superior performance, and is easily picked up with a few thousand miles on it for about the same price as an RC F. Yeah it would be used but you can't really argue with that performance bargain if you must have something Japanese. Considering the cramped rear seats of the RC F, it's hard to argue that it's any more versatile or more luxurious. The only real advantage would be the quality of Lexus's interior design.

In terms of RWD V8 cars, I would certainly go with the GT350. At the price there will be nothing else that compares to it, and the maintenance and parts will be very cheap compared to the M3, C63, RC F, etc. I will probably get one of them next year to replace the 2011 GT I had. The interior is great and I love the styling. And at 47k it makes the powered-up luxury base models on offer from BMW and M-B look like a bad decision.
As for the GT350, it takes nothing more than a quick sit in each car to know why I bought the RC F.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:36 PM   #647
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

I agree, the weight is bad. The RC-F really did not need to be this heavy. The 86 is at the very top of its' class in crash worthiness and is feather light. After the torque characteristics in its' V-8 were reviewed by Chris Harris, that killed it for me. This is a GT that's being billed as being more of a sports car than it really is. On the road the RC-F does its' job admirably, but the RC-F doesn't belong anywhere near a track.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXJm4DcbuXg"]Chris Harris on Cars - Lexus RCF road and track test. - YouTube[/ame]
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:24 PM   #648
jdmblood

Drives: white subaru brz
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Was the isf any good on the track?
jdmblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:37 AM   #649
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monogram View Post
As for the GT350, it takes nothing more than a quick sit in each car to know why I bought the RC F.
The GT350 isn't even out yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monogram View Post
It's comments like these that make me chuckle. Have you ever ridden in a GTR? Have you ever ridden in an RC F? The extra weight on the RC F is there for a number of reasons, not the least of which is crash safety. It holds the highest rating of any car in its class, and this class of car was built to mainly be driven on the street. I daily drive mine, and I can tell you it is ultra comfortable on even 3+ hour trips. You can't say that about a GTR. It also will be the most reliable car in its class, and I'd much rather have a vehicle that I can rely on day in and day out vs. a car that only exists for bragging rights. Lexus built this car to be competitive with the competition, but unlike the competition they are unwilling to compromise quality and reliability. Spend some time in each of the cars under normal daily driving conditions, then take each to the track a few times, then come back with an educated opinion that is not based on internet hype.
It's obvious that you really like your RCF, but not everyone prioritizes safety, comfort, and reliability when buying a dedicated sports car, especially if they have +60k to spend on a car. I'm sure the RCF is a fantastic car, but I think I would rather buy a M4 if I had that kind of money for a brand new car. It is 500lbs less and it has the option for an old-fashioned manual transmission. It is also much better looking in my opinion.

Last edited by funwheeldrive; 07-12-2015 at 03:15 AM.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 03:43 PM   #650
jkonquer

Drives: 2005 Subaru STI
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I think many of you are confusing with real dedicated sport car vs all around sport car.

Cars like FRS, GT350R, and Cayman are a dedicated sport car. they are made for one purpose only. Cars like M4, WRX STI, and RCF are made to do everything with budget in mind and be able to keep up with higher caliber cars.

Just as WRX STI's are made be faster WRX as M4's are faster 4 series. They are made to do what the base model does and more. but in the end if you really want a true sport car for "Track" purpose, you would get a Cayman.

At same price range, you can't beat Cayman. But most people will prefer RCF or M4 for their practicality. And that's is why safety, comfort, and luxuriousness matter.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:55 PM   #651
jdmblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkonquer View Post
I think many of you are confusing with real dedicated sport car vs all around sport car.

Cars like FRS, GT350R, and Cayman are a dedicated sport car. they are made for one purpose only. Cars like M4, WRX STI, and RCF are made to do everything with budget in mind and be able to keep up with higher caliber cars.

Just as WRX STI's are made be faster WRX as M4's are faster 4 series. They are made to do what the base model does and more. but in the end if you really want a true sport car for "Track" purpose, you would get a Cayman.

At same price range, you can't beat Cayman. But most people will prefer RCF or M4 for their practicality. And that's is why safety, comfort, and luxuriousness matter.

yea but a cayman is so ugly.

unless its a gt4
Old 07-12-2015, 05:28 PM   #652
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmblood View Post
yea but a cayman is so ugly.

unless its a gt4
So, you think a Cayman is ugly but an RC-F is good looking?
Old 07-12-2015, 06:20 PM   #653
jdmblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
So, you think a Cayman is ugly but an RC-F is good looking?
yes especially the first gen cayman.
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2015, 08:32 PM   #654
Monogram

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
I agree, the weight is bad. The RC-F really did not need to be this heavy. The 86 is at the very top of its' class in crash worthiness and is feather light. After the torque characteristics in its' V-8 were reviewed by Chris Harris, that killed it for me. This is a GT that's being billed as being more of a sports car than it really is. On the road the RC-F does its' job admirably, but the RC-F doesn't belong anywhere near a track.

Having run track days in both the FRS and RC F, I can say without any doubt that the RC F is a much better track car than the FRS. It is better in every way ... well, excluding fuel mileage. FRS- 11mpg. RC F- 5mpg.

The FRS slightly oversteers, where the RC F slightly understeers, but both are very neutral. The RC F will drive past the FRS anywhere on any track.

Stating the RC F does not belong near a track is nothing short of ignorant.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:33 PM   #655
Monogram

Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
The GT350 isn't even out yet...

It's obvious that you really like your RCF, but not everyone prioritizes safety, comfort, and reliability when buying a dedicated sports car, especially if they have +60k to spend on a car. I'm sure the RCF is a fantastic car, but I think I would rather buy a M4 if I had that kind of money for a brand new car. It is 500lbs less and it has the option for an old-fashioned manual transmission. It is also much better looking in my opinion.

The GT350 is just another Mustang.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:47 PM   #656
Monogram

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkonquer View Post

Nice thing about the RC F and M4 vs the Cayman is that both with lay down lap times equal to or better than the Cayman. When I was looking at upgrading from the FRS, I seriously checked out a Caman GTS, but set up fully optioned in comparison to the RC F, it was $15,000 more. It also did not feel much different than the FRS. As a daily driver with intermittent track use, I am glad I went with the RC F. I have no regrets.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:06 PM   #657
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
How in the world did the RC-F / FR-S comparison even begin? The price of each reflects the car you're buying. Of course the RC-F is going to be better. It's damn near twice the $ in stock form. If it wasn't then Lexus obviously messed up massively. It's essentially the same as comparing an AE86 to a turbo MK3 supra back in '87. Why even bother?
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:20 PM   #658
jdmblood

I didn't start this thread as a comparison. I just love both cars

Tags
:popcorn:, fugly, lexus, lexus is-f, rc-f, rcf, tagme, v-8, vossen