follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

View Poll Results: Have you had an issue with your Direct Injection System?
I have had a DI issue and was fixed under warranty (Subaru) 10 12.35%
I had a DI issue that caused Engine Failure and was fixed under warranty (Subaru) 2 2.47%
I have had a DI issue and was fixed under warranty (Toyota) 31 38.27%
I have had a DI issue that caused Engine Failure and was fixed under warranty (Toyota) 3 3.70%
I have had a DI issue and denied warranty by (Subaru) 7 8.64%
I have had a DI issue and denied warranty by (Toyota) 14 17.28%
I had a DI issue that caused Engine Failure and was Denied warranty (Subaru) 8 9.88%
I had a DI issue that caused Engine Failure and was Denied warranty (Toyota) 6 7.41%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 07-07-2013, 10:29 PM   #183
Khazzy

Drives: SWP Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I will keep an ear out for this. News to me. only 5400 miles on the car, VIN 4661, BRZ. No ECU flashes, no track time. I drive anywhere from 3k RPM-5.5k RPM depending on how I feel that day or how expensive gas is. Also 93 Octane without ethanol is unheard of here in Nebraska so been running the 91 Octane WITHOUT ethanol since I have owned the car. Got the car 12 Jan 13. Any of these people with the issues have ethanol in the gas they are using? Anyone think about that yet? I know its mainly a midwest thing, but a very good concern to ponder.
Khazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:18 PM   #184
Muaddib
Mentat

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Time will tell...
Muaddib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:24 PM   #185
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If you're concerned these issues will impact other owners, you need to file a complaint at the link below and make sure that they are all filed under the same category. It is these complaints that lead to recalls.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:59 AM   #186
Carwhisperer

Drives: A lot of supercars.
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazzy View Post
I will keep an ear out for this. News to me. only 5400 miles on the car, VIN 4661, BRZ. No ECU flashes, no track time. I drive anywhere from 3k RPM-5.5k RPM depending on how I feel that day or how expensive gas is. Also 93 Octane without ethanol is unheard of here in Nebraska so been running the 91 Octane WITHOUT ethanol since I have owned the car. Got the car 12 Jan 13. Any of these people with the issues have ethanol in the gas they are using? Anyone think about that yet? I know its mainly a midwest thing, but a very good concern to ponder.
I know that ethanol is NOT helping the injectors last longer than shorter. I'm on 93 Pure gas, to get rid of crickets and to hopefully ease the bad memories of my DI's going kaput.
Carwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:07 AM   #187
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carwhisperer View Post
I know that ethanol is NOT helping the injectors last longer than shorter. I'm on 93 Pure gas, to get rid of crickets and to hopefully ease the bad memories of my DI's going kaput.
Let's hope ethanol-free fuel continues to be readoly available in middle Tennessee.
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:34 AM   #188
suaveflooder

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,052 Times in 664 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgi View Post
I'm sure that's exactly how toyota/subaru views these issues so far.

However this view on those stats seems a bit shortsighted:

- The issues seems to be happening with the cars that have about over 20K miles and/or are tracked. Considering the car has been out for about a year, why don't you think and reflect how many cars already have over 20K and how many cars out of those have been driven often between 4-7K rpm?

- Not all people share their issues with DI, and not all who did have voted on this thread.

- The problem does have a high potential to be a widespread issue and that high potential is what pretty much stops many people who would gladly mod their cars from doing it.

Considering we are a year or even two away from seeing the problem is a widespread, i wonder how many decide not to deal with this BS and switch to some other platform new miata, Z, heck even mustang or camaro if they manage to put those pigs on a diet or some used cars where 135i seems the best match for money.

Btw, those who ignore little smoke often get a wild fire on their hands shortly. Folks from subaru/toyota should act before community of enthusiasts started leaving this platform labeling it as too problematic and money pit. IMO
Of course Toyota is thinking this way! With less than a 1% failure rate any business would be crazy to make a big deal about it. Like you mentioned, there are SO many factors that could have attributed to the failures. Lack of an oil cooler comes to mind. These cars get hot! We've seen this and even on a stock car, it looks like an oil cooler would be a good idea if open tracking.

As far as your second point, that is EXACTLY what I'm saying! There is no way that a pole like this will be accurate, ESPECIALLY on a forum where everyone makes thread to complain. You potentially have tens of thousands of cars that we will NEVER hear from, most of which will probably NEVER HAVE A SINGLE PROBLEM! Making the percentage of failures EVEN LESS. Toyota gets all these stats and if it DOES become an issue, they will take care of it! They have done it in the past and they continue to make little tweaks as small problems arise even now. What makes you think they will let this become something widespread?

It is AMAZING to me the difference between an 86 that was built in the first couple months compared to mine built in January of 2013. All the "issues" everyone was freaking out about in the beginning of the cars existence has been fixed on mine. I have periodic crickets, but those are even pretty rare. I have not had a single other issue that plagued these cars in the beginning.

As far as people swapping to another brand because of this, that is absurd. People flock to the E46 M3 and it has a TON of issues. A DI failing on less than 1% of the cars built is not going to have most people lift an eye brow. If they abandon the car because of someone's uncle's friend's dad once new a guy who's son had his DI fail on his car, I will make sure to smile and wave as they go to another car. The car is a money pit for so many reasons and failures have nothing to do with them, lack of power, however, does
suaveflooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #189
spitz

Drives: '13 SWP BRZ-L
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I'd be curious to see data on whether an oil cooler could be a possible remedy to the detonation. How long did the CSG car run their oil cooler?

spitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #190
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitz View Post
I'd be curious to see data on whether an oil cooler could be a possible remedy to the detonation. How long did the CSG car run their oil cooler?
No relation. As far as we understand, it's an issue with the factory tune.
CSG Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #191
suaveflooder

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,052 Times in 664 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
No relation. As far as we understand, it's an issue with the factory tune.
Ironically enough, this is GOOD news! It's something toyota can fix pretty easily, hopefully!
suaveflooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #192
Anaxilus
Banned

Drives: They have four wheels
First off, I think it would be useful to add an option to the poll that says, "I have had no issues w/ my DI system." At least that would give you a relative comparison. As is, the poll tells us nothing about whether we need to be concerned about this.

Second, I asked a friend who is a long time Lexus tech about this and he says the twins appear to use the same type DI injectors as on the Lexi w/ teflon type seals. He said they used to throw them in solvents and all sorts of stuff to get them to fail and never had any issues. He kind of calls BS on the issue related to corrosives such as Ethanol or anything else. Now, if there is an issue, it would tend toward Heat being the culprit as others have mentioned. If the seals handle solvents fine, then heat could/must be the factor causing physical damage. I know boxers tend to run hot, hot enough to liquify your oil w/o a proper cooler. IF heat is the issue, that would possibly seem to correlate to 100% track failure on those ring rentals. Also if the factory tune is running too lean somewhere. I know others have had no issues and also track their cars but do they abuse them like you would a rental on the Ring or use the stock tune? Just adding to the stream of consciousness.

Again, it would be really helpful to know how many people have NOT had DI issues by adding the choice to the OP's poll.
Anaxilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #193
topazsparrow

Drives: slow
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post
First off, I think it would be useful to add an option to the poll that says, "I have had no issues w/ my DI system." At least that would give you a relative comparison. As is, the poll tells us nothing about whether we need to be concerned about this.
That's not a good idea as you cannot re-vote. If an issue cropped up late you'd be unable to change your vote.
topazsparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #194
Anaxilus
Banned

Drives: They have four wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by topazsparrow View Post
That's not a good idea as you cannot re-vote. If an issue cropped up late you'd be unable to change your vote.
Well, if the OP or mod wanted to be vigilant enough, they could edit the OP w/ updated stats as they came in. The problem I see is you have only 18 votes out of how many page views from how many actual owners? If you want serious action, you need to show a certain level of statistical significance beyond a few particular users or units. Another thread about interior brightness level had almost 100 votes in a dead thread...
Anaxilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #195
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Can someone please clear my confusion about this issue? So if I am at idle and i slightly rev and my rev dips a little and comes back up is this an issue? I also have an occasional "knock" when doing this maybe 1/5 times or so if I listen carefully. Does this mean for sure sure my DI has failed or could it just be a bad tune? (on Unichip). I have never had any backfiring or noticable knock besides when doing this at idle.

Should I take off my tune and see the dealer?
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #196
Synack
Boosted

Drives: Sideways
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
My seals are being installed today. Hopefully running smoothly tonight.

Last edited by Synack; 07-09-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Synack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct injector, engine, failure, meet regal's paranoia, poll, regal's witch hunt, regalnoia, seal, sealions, silly sausage